Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of garbage XSPC pumps - what's the best, most reliable bay res/pump?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Tired of garbage XSPC pumps - what's the best, most reliable bay res/pump?

When I first got my XSPC watercooling gear, it worked great. That being said, the pump/bayres combo developed a very loud rattling noise within the first 24 hours. XSPC sent me a new one right away, and the second one was dead silent for about 12 hours. After that? Sure enough, at first a small grinding noise and now it's just as bad as the other one.

I never learn...cheap things always wind up being more expensive and I should just get the more expensive product first. Same thing happened with my Sabertooth...should have just went with the Maximus IV.

Anyway, what's the absolute best, most reliable bayres pump combo? Price doesn't matter. Silence does - I don't want some rattling, grinding peice of junk.

Right now I have a CPU only look but I will be adding 2 6950 blocks to it soon. I never plan on wcing ram and such.

Thanks in advance.
    3770k @ 5ghz 1.35v linx stable
    Asus Maximus V Extreme
    8gb Samsung Green @ 2600mhz 11-11-11-31
    EVGA GTX 680
    Corsair AX850
    XSPC Watercooling

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The bayres/pump combos are bound to be noisier than leaving your pump freely sitting on a pad of foam. If you're going to be spending money on replacement items, might as well go that route.

However, if you're going to be sticking to that combo, you could give a try to the Koolance RP-452X which would enable you to double your loops down the road, when/if you add those extra vga blocks.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by computerpro3 View Post
    When I first got my XSPC watercooling gear, it worked great. That being said, the pump/bayres combo developed a very loud rattling noise within the first 24 hours. XSPC sent me a new one right away, and the second one was dead silent for about 12 hours. After that? Sure enough, at first a small grinding noise and now it's just as bad as the other one.

I never learn...cheap things always wind up being more expensive and I should just get the more expensive product first. Same thing happened with my Sabertooth...should have just went with the Maximus IV.

Anyway, what's the absolute best, most reliable bayres pump combo? Price doesn't matter. Silence does - I don't want some rattling, grinding peice of junk.

Right now I have a CPU only look but I will be adding 2 6950 blocks to it soon. I never plan on wcing ram and such.

Thanks in advance.
    Which pump?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by antiacid View Post
    The bayres/pump combos are bound to be noisier than leaving your pump freely sitting on a pad of foam. .
    This. I prefer my IWAKI personally, but the beast is a noisey little SOB so what I did was cut up an old mousepad into 4 squares and rubber mounted the pump on them, after that there was no more vibrations and shes been running fairly quiet since.

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Xtreme Guru
    Imho nice replacement for beasts like Iwaki would be new koolance's dual pump bayrestop with two D5 Strong pumps. Imho should be comparable in performance to iwaki, yet more silent.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The Swiftech MCP35X is always a good choice. For added cooling/life span, check this out:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=268560

And you can always go with the tried and true MCP655. Mine has been running for ~6 years now.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Member
    let us not forget the danger den monsoon if you have a d5 pump

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Imho nice replacement for beasts like Iwaki would be new koolance's dual pump bayrestop with two D5 Strong pumps. Imho should be comparable in performance to iwaki, yet more silent.
    I will probably retire my Iwaki to my test bench and buy one of the dual pump bayres from koolance to replace it ^_^ They look VERY clean and youre right, I bet its quite a bit quieter.

sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!

Xtreme Member
    which iwaki are you referring to? the rd-30? you feel 2x D5's are the same?
    Last edited by ballzD33P; 03-29-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Xtreme Member
    /snip two D5 Strong pumps. /snip.

is their a new version of the d5 i am dont know about?

sry about the OT above... this is supposed to be about a d5/bay replacement thread....

Xtreme Guru
    ballzD33P: Martin's review. Most powerful D5 (More head/flow even then for DDC-3.25), without built in speed controller, needs 24V for full power (at 12V somewhere between D5 and D5 Vario).

Chasing After Diety
    well any dual d5's can beat an iwaki.

Your talking about 2 pumps vs. 1.

However i can bet you, that iwaki will last longer then BOTH of your D5's combined.

D5's arent invincible, ive had 1 fail, a friend of mine had 1 fail, and a few others i know have had them fail.
    The D5 strongs are on 24V, but the heat dump recorded at the higher end isnt worth the pumping power.
    Same can be said about an Iwaki RD-30 @ 20V+ .

If you ask me, nothing beats dual DDC-2. :X

But not many of us are on it... but reliability, id say the Iwaki would slaughter anything we've seen so far minus Ehiem.

Ehiem... The only company i trust more then Ehiem would probably be Taam, . more commonly known for there aquarium pumps labeled.. Rio.

http://www.riopump.net/

I wish Taam would take a jump into our hobby.
    They would probably show us a kick ass pump which would make us go OMGWTFBBQ~!

Ie.. a smaller and better tuned polario series or Seio for our LC system..
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 03-29-2011 at 03:00 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    well any dual d5's can beat an iwaki.

Your talking about 2 pumps vs. 1.

However i can bet you, that iwaki will last longer then BOTH of your D5's combined.

D5's arent invincible, ive had 1 fail, a friend of mine had 1 fail, and a few others i know have had them fail.
    The D5 strongs are on 24V, but the heat dump recorded at the higher end isnt worth the pumping power.
    Same can be said about an Iwaki RD-30 @ 20V+ .

If you ask me, nothing beats dual DDC-2. :X

But not many of us are on it... but reliability, id say the Iwaki would slaughter anything we've seen so far minus Ehiem.

Ehiem... The only company i trust more then Ehiem would probably be Taam, . more commonly known for there aquarium pumps labeled.. Rio.

http://www.riopump.net/

I wish Taam would take a jump into our hobby.
    They would probably show us a kick ass pump which would make us go OMGWTFBBQ~!

Ie.. a smaller and better tuned polario series or Seio for our LC system..
    DD moonsoon FTW great D5 with a great bay!
    Current Rig - Sandy H20 - i2600k @ 4.6ghz - P8P67 Deluxe - 8 GB DDR3 1600 - - Custom H20 Kit - DD Moonsoon - GTZ - Swiftech 360 - D5- 2x GTX 460 in Sli - Corsair TX850W - Corsair 800 D - Loving Life

Xtreme Guru
    NaeKuh: But imho those D5 will beat Iwaki noise wise. And serial configuration gives more redundancy, even if you say that iwaki-s in general are more reliable.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Quad-Damage View Post
    DD moonsoon FTW great D5 with a great bay!
    no doubt..

But we are talking about pumps themselves.
    Im not a super big fan of the D5... I have that reputation here.

In a DDC Lover.. :P

NaeKuh: But imho those D5 will beat Iwaki noise wise. And serial configuration gives more redundancy, even if you say that iwaki-s in general are more reliable.
    i dont think so.

Have you heard the roar of a RD-30 @ 24V? lol...

Xtreme Member
    ballzD33P: Martin's review. Most powerful D5 (More head/flow even then for DDC-3.25), without built in speed controller, needs 24V for full power (at 12V somewhere between D5 and D5 Vario).
    Thanks for the link churchy, i was completely unaware that product existed.

With all due respect to martin and all the work he has contributed to this scene, I feel his rd-30 tests are flawed.

Notice how he has the inlet setup for the rd-30? That is the LEAST OPTIMAL way. For the inlet, he has "Master-kleer 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD" stretched over the 3/4" inlet of rd-30.

So, the 3/4" inlet of the pump is being supplied by a line that is 7/16" ID. See the problem there?

The rd-30 must be supplied with an adequate supply of water to really see it shine. Many people have bored out a tube rez and used that on the inlet (credit: ballz0r)

The fluid dynamics/mechanics going on before the inlet is quite a dramatic change based on available water input.

Also, I have never heard of an rd-30 dying, despite how bad it is being treated. Now, this could be due to the fact that its not very widely used in this application...
    Last edited by ballzD33P; 03-29-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Have you looked at a DDC with an EK RES top?

Or how about two DDC with a performance top?
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump Maverick, BMaverick ... has a massive hoard of a Laing DDC pump stash

From our experience, statistically speaking D5 is the least trouble. Any not glued reservoir is good: DD, EK, Koolance.
    Silent Sniper: XSPC H1 | GA G1 Killer | Supreme HF |Dual GTX470 WCooled | Dual D5 Serial | 2x EX360 | Triebwerks | U-Tube Worklog

Orange: MNPCTech 700D | GA X58-OC | Supreme HF | Admiral rad prototype | RP452x2 D5 Serial | SanAces | Aquaero 5 Pro |U-Tube Worklog

Video editing: 800D | GA X58 Extreme | Supreme | Dual GTX285 Wcooled | Dual Serial D5 |TFC360 | Triebweks | U-Tube Worklog

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks guys, a lot to research and think about.

I absolutely need a bay res due to space constraints (I'm doing an old TJ03). With an E-atx board there's just no room left for pumps since I'm putting one 120mm rad in front and a 2 120mm up top.

What I'm thinking of doing is grabbing the RP-402X2 and a DDC. Now if I do this, will I need to buy a special top for the DDC? I assume the koolance res comes apart to install the DDC? I'd prefer to stick with one pump for now due to both noise and the fact that my loop just isn't restrictive enough to need two I think.
    Last edited by computerpro3; 03-29-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    3770k @ 5ghz 1.35v linx stable
    Asus Maximus V Extreme
    8gb Samsung Green @ 2600mhz 11-11-11-31
    EVGA GTX 680
    Corsair AX850
    XSPC Watercooling

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yes, the Koolance res is the 'Top'
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballzD33P View Post
    Thanks for the link churchy, i was completely unaware that product existed.

With all due respect to martin and all the work he has contributed to this scene, I feel his rd-30 tests are flawed.

Notice how he has the inlet setup for the rd-30? That is the LEAST OPTIMAL way. For the inlet, he has "Master-kleer 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD" stretched over the 3/4" inlet of rd-30.

So, the 3/4" inlet of the pump is being supplied by a line that is 7/16" ID. See the problem there?

The rd-30 must be supplied with an adequate supply of water to really see it shine. Many people have bored out a tube rez and used that on the inlet (credit: ballz0r)

The fluid dynamics/mechanics going on before the inlet is quite a dramatic change based on available water input.

Also, I have never heard of an rd-30 dying, despite how bad it is being treated. Now, this could be due to the fact that its not very widely used in this application...
    FYI

Here is my old RD-30 test:

Here is Iwaki's published curves:
    http://www.iwakiamerica.com/Literature/RD/RDCurves.pdf

My test / Iwaki's curve
    Dynamic Pressure head in Feet of water

1GPM - 31.65ft / 30.8 ft
    2GPM - 29.57ft / 28.2 ft
    3GPM - 26.30ft / 24.8 ft
    4GPM - 21.68ft / 18.4 ft

My results tested higher than Iwaki's own curve..?

That's probably just my uncalibrated manometer, but I don't think the smaller inlet matters in testing. Long term yes, if you hear cavitation in the RD, then a long term run like that can be bad....but if it's silent it's ok. I tested outlet-inlet so it accounts for any restriction on the inlet end.

It's all good..large inlet should help reduce restriction and minimize cavitation which can damage impellers long term, but I think the smaller inlet in that old test didn't affect the results any because I measured pressure differential which accounts for any of that. I think it was ok..

Cheers!
    Martin
    Last edited by Martinm210; 03-29-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Have you heard the roar of a RD-30 @ 24V? lol...
    Lol I have to agree. even with mine being rubber mounted and all, my RD-20 (or RWD-20, I dont remember) was a beast.

But I couldnt hear it over my 4x 120 Deltas running at 15,000,000 RPMs (exageration, but they are def loud as hell)

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by ballzD33P View Post

My Super RD-30 E-Penis Edition : *i wonder who i got this from?*

Quote Originally Posted by bmaverick View Post
    Or how about two DDC with a performance top?
    Love dual DDC's u cant get better then them, unless u go tri, and at tri, you get crap flow but insane head pressure.
    I think i still am the only guy on the forum running these guys like this :P
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 03-30-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast

My Super RD-30 E-Penis Edition : *i wonder who i got this from?*

Want to sell it?
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    Want to sell it?
    its part of skinnee's bench 2.0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast