Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD says "Prove it!"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    AMD's PR suxxx monkey's b*llz as usual

The world's fatest graphics card done right ? ... What a joke
    I guess you're impressed with Nvidia's "quieter" marketing strategy in the high end, that's funny too. Which games does 590 win? HAWX, Mass Effect, Dirt 2, the lower resolutions... Hey if you need 10 more frames out of a hundred then you're winning!

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaythere View Post
    Problem is the 590 blows up for no good reason while the 6990 keeps going. If you are going to complain about noise at this level maybe you have no reason to buy a product like this. I mean if you are willing to pay 700$ for a graphics card maybe you can find another 100 for a waterblock.
    Agreed, you would think with the far better chip that Nvidia would simply design enough vrm (mosfets etc..) to tolerate huge overclocks. but they didn't. its like some other limiting factor came up.

I own Cayman and GF100, and GF110. like them all but Caymen can't keep up when GF110 has its power. Nvidia could have built a card for the ages, instead they built a big hog.

Xtreme Member
    Unless I'm misunderstanding something, AMD is just asking Nvidia for official proof that the GTX 590 that they claimed to be the world's fastest card is indeed the world's fastest card.

It's not like AMD even went to any lengths to make it a marketing move, it was just some stupid blog post that is going to be missed by 99% of people who own computers.

Xtreme Member
    I blame TMSC, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    Maybe if they spent anytime at all on their drivers they would have something to really show. What is it like a year+ and still a cursor bug? I loved ATI but now yeash! Get the software up to par with the hardware guys then you'd have something to prove. Dual GPU's I still don't think is something to brag about to me it's like adding 2 extra cores to compete with the competitions midrange chips. I am glad however they are still sticking with eyefinity I think thats great.
    Cursor bug?

I've not seen anything like that on my 4870. I'm still running 10.12 drivers, but that is within this year timeframe you're talking about.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Problem is the 590 blows up for no good reason while the 6990 keeps going. If you are going to complain about noise at this level maybe you have no reason to buy a product like this. I mean if you are willing to pay 700$ for a graphics card maybe you can find another 100 for a waterblock.
    Well you could bring that arguement further by saying,if you have $700 to spend on this card you can get a proper mb and go sli/cf with two cards.
    I'm suprised amd does not tout the fact that you can mix and match same seires cards at will but thats ot.

Xtreme Mentor
    Do people want to know an easy way to make the ATI 6990 much quieter?

1) Remove cooler shroud.
    2) Take off heatsinks
    3) Clean off the nasty crappy stock goo
    4) Apply MX3 or similarly good thermal paste
    5) Refit the heatsinks and cooler shroud

Say hello to up to -10 degrees and lower noise. Although you cant get around how bad the vertical blade fan design is, the thermal paste change should make a difference.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post

1) Remove cooler shroud.
    2) Take off heatsinks

Say hello to up to -10 degrees and lower noise. Although you cant get around how bad the vertical blade fan design is, the thermal paste change should make a difference.
    The fact of the matter is AMD should make sure its board partners use better thermal materials and fan designs. We should get your mentioned cooling improvements from the factory. As far as performance goes, the 590 and 6990 trade blows. I would say they're about equal as the typical mix of games out there favor either Nvidia or AMD chipset designs roughly equally. We have two great choices from Nvidia and AMD.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Member
    Interesting, any links to threads where people made those experiments?

Btw. Anandtech says the thermal paste used in the GTX590 is Shin-Etsu MicroSi X23-7762. Any 6990 owners willing to try that out? Let's hope that doesn't void the warranty.

Xtreme Enthusiast

1) Remove cooler shroud.
    2) Take off heatsinks

I would be too nervous too do that with my $720 card
    HAF922 (3 fan upgraded) 700w ModXtreme
    MSI GD-65 // HIS 5850 // Saitek Esclipse
    Core i5 750 @ 3.32Ghz (OC Genie) Megahalem w/ 1200rpm Scythe Slipstream
    G. Skill RipJaws DDR3 2000 4x2 gig
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB // 5:1 Dell Surround
    24inch Samsung ToC // MX518

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    AMD's PR suxxx monkey's b*llz as usual

The world's fatest graphics card done right ? ... What a joke
    Only joke is fanboys. Re-read your post, does it sound like something a fanboy would say? Regardless of which brand you prefer, grow up.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This.

Dual GPU cards do not have anything to do with power comsumption, noise or heat. It's all about no holds barred speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Klarko View Post
    No offense but you do realise you're posting in Xtreme Systems, do you?
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by insurgent View Post
    I blame TMSC, lol
    I blame DX11.... >_>
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    I blame expensive graphics nv ati cards.

This topic is a old trick, to let ppl know this cards are outiside and "" now we let ppl fight, whos and what and bla bla. And we colect our $$$ as much we can, to make another gpu ""

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Cursor bug?

I've not seen anything like that on my 4870. I'm still running 10.12 drivers, but that is within this year timeframe you're talking about.
    Since Win7 RTM with Radeon 5850, but nowadays it's very rare.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zloyd View Post
    Amd has the fastest noisiest most power hungry card while nvidia only has fastest so I dunno why they are getting their panties in a bunch still undisputed in 2.
    Which review had the 6990 higher than the 590 in power consumption?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthShader View Post
    Interesting, any links to threads where people made those experiments?

Btw. Anandtech says the thermal paste used in the GTX590 is Shin-Etsu MicroSi X23-7762. Any 6990 owners willing to try that out? Let's hope that doesn't void the warranty.
    On both my Reference 5770s and MSI 560s, I got a drop of 6-10 degrees (8-10 degree drop at idle, around 5-6 at full load) by changing the paste to MX3. Yes, the MSI Twinfrozr which is already the best fansink design on the market IMO can be made even better with reapplying the thermal paste.

It isnt actually the thermal material thats to blame, because I'm very sure that my current MSIs already had MX3 on them because it was exactly the same color and consistency, but they use like 5x too much of it that it over insulates the GPU. Replace it with a smaller amount of MX3, and heat transfer improves a lot.

All of the AIB partners purely suck at applying thermal paste.

Also, I remember back with my 5770s that used a similar vapor chamber cooler that these new dual GPU cards do, the base was highly uneven and had lots of deep scratches on it. Reference coolers have always been nothing but pure crap to me, I only like to buy custom cooled ones now, and the MSI Cyclone + Twinfrozr coolers have made it to the top of my list for their unmatched quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Klarko View Post
    Why? Its easier than changing the thermal paste on a CPU. I've changed the paste and coolers on my graphics cards more times than I have on the CPU, and nothing ever goes wrong. The MSI cards I currently have were the easiest, and they actually have the plastic tabs that go over the screwholes conveniently glued down around the screwholes.
    Last edited by Mungri; 03-26-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why the hell do noise and power consumption matter at this price point? For 99% of computers, yes, they do. Slower is much better, even if a lot slower, if it's quiet and sips power, no brainer. But when you hit the 700+ price point all that crap goes out the window.

If you can splurge over 400 on a GPU you can splurge the 60-120 is going to take to but a water cooling solution on the product anyways. These are 700 buck GPUs, you can afford it.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ego View Post
    I blame expensive graphics nv ati cards.

This topic is a old trick, to let ppl know this cards are outiside and "" now we let ppl fight, whos and what and bla bla. And we colect our $$$ as much we can, to make another gpu ""
    I believe most people buying the dual GPU card would buy TWO cards, if there was not an option to get about the same performance on single card.

For example if I bought TWO HD 6970 it would have cost me $740, the HD 6990 cost me $710. Anyway my setup is also more suitable for single Craphic Card.

The bottom line is if there was not market for such solution the cards would be never produced.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Morke Engel
    Quote Originally Posted by DedEmbryonicCe1 View Post
    Which review had the 6990 higher than the 590 in power consumption?
    http://techreport.com/articles.x/20629/11

I agree. Tech Report pointed out that the 6990 had a higher TDP and at least the cards that he had were the exact opposite and by a decent margin.

Xtreme Addict
    i'm sorry, but i see "worlds fastest blablabla" on seemingly every press release in the tech community... this is really a non-issue.

to be fair neither amd nor nvidia have "the fastest grapics card" because both cards can beat the other in certian situations. this is all so silly...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    Why the hell do noise and power consumption matter at this price point? For 99% of computers, yes, they do. Slower is much better, even if a lot slower, if it's quiet and sips power, no brainer. But when you hit the 700+ price point all that crap goes out the window.

If you can splurge over 400 on a GPU you can splurge the 60-120 is going to take to but a water cooling solution on the product anyways. These are 700 buck GPUs, you can afford it.
    I agree. Also, I'm surprised to see so many XS users complain about noise. I thought most of us swapped our stock coolers right away. If I'm dropping $700 on a card, I'm going to be pushing it and upgrading the cooling anyways.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ego View Post
    Louder, as topics. Or just louder siting inside box? <- sarcasm

Shure i want ati gpu beinside my pc as next graphics.
    Lets see how this will turn out
    louder as it sounds like a hover craft

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Cursor bug?

On the new 11.1 and 11.2 drivers if you move the cursor to the top right corner of the screen (usually the place is only about 60x60 big) the cursor bugs and lags...it's pretty annoying when you have a maximized window...

It hasn't been that way for a YEAR though.

Xtreme Member
    Big B**ls of Fire!!! ehehehe

AMD did a great dual gpu solution ... no doubt
    Nvidia did a so so solution that could be a monster ... but ended just " doing the job right "
    Oh...your ass is grass and I've got the weed-whacker.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast