Thread: Lian Li X2000FX/500FX

Nerdy Powerlifter

Lian Li X2000FX/500FX

Anyone out there have a rig in one of these? Preferably water cooled (internal or external rad)?

I've been considering these cases, but wanted to see a layout of what it looks like with a loop inside.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    Not greatest cases for water cooling. You can find some worklogs, even 560 rad in x2000 (on xs), but requires quite heavy modding. In my opinion entire TYR series isn't that great for water cooling. You will have much easier time fitting radiators in regular lian li towers, such as A77, with zero modifications.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by aerial View Post
    Not greatest cases for water cooling. You can find some worklogs, even 560 rad in x2000 (on xs), but requires quite heavy modding. In my opinion entire TYR series isn't that great for water cooling. You will have much easier time fitting radiators in regular lian li towers, such as A77, with zero modifications.
    I'm just tired of super deep 24" cases that take up my entire desk. After having a small footprint of the SG07, I really don't want to go back to my TJ06 or something like an 800D.

That said, these cases have a small footprint. I'm fine with having the radiator external. I'll only water cool my CPU.

I'll see if I can find anything. I do recall that workout log...
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    Footprint of these cases is indeed an argument, but in the other hand they are very tall, and for some people it just doesn't work, to have such tall case on their desk, you need to literally stand up to use optical drive or press power button.

anyway, link:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=248149

I saw interesting setup on some french forums, it was quad sli in X1000, but it was impossible to tell where are the rads. Same user, but tri-sli, and I am pretty sure he isn't cooling all of it with that dual rad (and there is no rad on front)

Interesting - I'm looking at using the 500 for my husband's new computer. But really need one that's about an inch or so less in depth (compared to the 15.3 inches). I do think Lian Li is on the right track with this case styling - sure, won't work for everyone, but they make sense for an under the desk setup.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Thanks aerial. I'm still waiting around to see whatever set up I do next (air or water) and can't decide.

I don't mind the height. I walk over to my desk to turn the PC on anyways, so I can turn it on then. My TJ06 was so long, I simply lost usable desk space and I like to look at the interior of the PC to admire the work, lol.

Btw, I looked at that link. The 560mm rad is just insane. The work he did to make it look stock was just incredible. I don't know if I can have the heart (or will) to cut into a $500 case. I'd still be interested to mount a Koolance rad mount on the back and mount a 560 or so.

I keep looking at my wallet and it's already too thin as it is. These cases remind me of dangerden cases as well, just much more stylish.

@ shazza , MOD THE DESK!
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

@ shazza , MOD THE DESK!
    Most likely the route we'll go. Considering the cost of these LL cases, it doesn't make sense to get one unless they are dead on perfect for what you want.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Most likely the route we'll go. Considering the cost of these LL cases, it doesn't make sense to get one unless they are dead on perfect for what you want.
    Its about to as close to perfect as I want.

I don't keep any 3.5" drives in my cases anymore. That's all in the server. My main righ has an ssd and slim optical drive. I see all these cases and don't want to pay for lots of stuff I"ll never use. These come about as close as possible to meeting my needs.

I wish I knew how to do machine work. I'd just build my own and be done with it.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    My Xclio1000 has been relegated to under the desk mode. It's simply too tall and too heavy.
    ==========================================
    XClio 1000, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2 GHz, Noctua NH-D14
    CORSAIR 950TX 950W, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Sapphire 4850x2 CFX
    Win7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    and the more i type the more BS comes out of my keyboard. LOL

I've owned the X2000FX for a few months now and it is a great case. It has exactly all the features I wanted. Just be aware of the 140mm fans. Only complain is the motherboard back cut out is not located correctly for X58 boards....

Xtreme Member
    I have a similar case to the X2000FX I have the Lian Li PC-X2000 which is very similar externally and internally its almost the same. It was a real challenge to water cool because I didn't want to modify the case to much due to its beautiful aesthetics. I did still remove a few riveted panels but generally I didn't drill any holes or cut any metal.

The way I configured mine was with a 280MM SR-1 radiator in the front. That was inside the case mounted to the front. Then I mounted a 140mm SR-1 on the back. I then used three Xigmatek 63CFM/16dB fans on those radiators. I placed two of the fans inside the cavity at the front of the case. And one at the back. The two front I used as intake and the back one as exhaust.

Now placing the fans in that front cavity did hurt the incoming airflow as there was very little room inside for the Xigmateks to pull air. If I had to guess I'd say each fans performance decreased by 70% or so. I used this configuration to cool one CPU and two GTX 480's and it actually worked fine I had my doubts and did consider removing the front panel and cutting two round holes in it for the fans if after I had put it together the temperatures were too high. But it never came to that as the CPU temp maxed at around 60 and each GPU maxed at around 65. Nothing was overclocked but I added the water cooling for silence as the default 480 coolers were so loud I was going to go insane.

I will say this these cases are not really that good for water cooling and Lian Li knows that. Unless you mount a radiator on the back outside the case and run some tubes in (which Lian Li pre-drilled holes for) you're going to only be able to get adequate performance. I could have fitted a 3x140mm rad at the front if I had cut the bottom metal piece but that was something I wasn't prepared to do - Hey I gotta resell this thing one day.

In the end I decided I did want to overclock and about 6 months after building it I added a Phobya 1080 (9x120mm) radiator to the loop. I already mounted my reservoir outside the case on my original build so it was easy to tack on the external radiator using the tubing that was already exiting the case to reach the externally mounted reservoir. Now my water temperature is 27.5 degrees regardless of what I'm overclocked to which is great. I kept the radiators inside the case as-well but they only really handle the Pumps heat dump now as the large external radiator is doing all the work.

If I was going to buy an off the shelf case for Water Cooling I'd probably get a Corsair 800D or something along those lines. Something with 3x120mm at the top. When I got my Lian Li case originally it was intended for Air Cooling only so I never looked at its Water Cooling potential pre-purchase which in hindsight was a mistake, having said that I have seen some good water cooled units but those have all been via extreme modding with a lot of cutting to fit radiators.

Quote Originally Posted by aerial View Post
    Footprint of these cases is indeed an argument, but in the other hand they are very tall, and for some people it just doesn't work, to have such tall case on their desk, you need to literally stand up to use optical drive or press power button.

anyway, link:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=248149

I saw interesting setup on some french forums, it was quad sli in X1000, but it was impossible to tell where are the rads. Same user, but tri-sli, and I am pretty sure he isn't cooling all of it with that dual rad (and there is no rad on front)

this rig is extreme cool!! wow!!! i love the way you did with the tubes. very nice work.