Thread: some vrm sink?

Xtreme Member

some vrm sink?

anyone know where to get some good universal VRM sink for graphic cards? I had some enzo mosfet sink, but its too small, so the thermal tape don't hold well with those.

Xtreme Member
    Have you tried using different ttape? Also, are you sure you cleaned the chips thoroughly enough? Try some sekisui thermal tape http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sek....c0.m270.l1313

Xtreme Member
    If you are careful, you can mix Arctic Alumina Thermal Epoxy with Arctic Alumina TIM in a 50% / 50% mix. This allows you to bond them on better than tape, but be able to remove them later.

I have tried 75% epoxy / 25% TIM before and the RAM chip came off with the heatsink. be sure and trial test beforehand to get the mix just right.

Xtreme Member
    i have AS adhesive but don't wont to put it on due the fact is permanent. the thermal tape came with enzo just don't stick well. the chip is clean throughly via AS cleaner and 99% rubbing alcohol

maybe heating up the tape or chip via hair dryer will help the stickyness?

Xtreme Member
    i recently put the enzotech mosfet sinks on my radeon 6950. It was a challenge, but it does work. If you already have the 3M thermal tape applied to the enzotech sinks, then what I did was clean the 3m tape on the sink w/ alcohol (91% isopropyl is what I used), then I applied some thermal tape directly on the VRMs first. Apply some pressure on the tape against the VRM to make sure the tape has bonded to the VRM. Then, I got another strip of thermal tape and applied it over the existing 3M thermal tape. Then, I stuck the sink onto the VRMs. It might be suboptimal heat transfer, but the heatsinks will stick onto the VRMs using this method.

When I felt the VRM heatsinks during a load test, they were pretty hot to the touch (I couldn't keep my hands on the sinks for more than 2-3 seconds cuz it got too hot for comfort) so they're transferring enough heat imo

Hint, you don't have to cut little individual squares, you can just have a long strip of thermal tape to cover multiple VRMs is what I did
    Last edited by jinsean; 03-22-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
    i have AS adhesive but don't wont to put it on due the fact is permanent. the thermal tape came with enzo just don't stick well. the chip is clean throughly via AS cleaner and 99% rubbing alcohol

maybe heating up the tape or chip via hair dryer will help the stickyness?
    Did you read what I wrote? I said to dilute the epoxy with TIM to NOT make it permanent. I have done this several times and they come off with a 50/50 mix.

Also, I would not use AS5 as it is most likely conductive. This is why I specified bot epoxy and TIM oa Alumina which are non-conductive.

Xtreme Member
    Why not use good ttape like I posted?