Thread: WC System cleaning

WC System cleaning

I'm upgrading a few things in my system soon and while I have everything apart I figure it's best to clean both my loops.

Any tips on cleaning, especially parts that don't come apart like my Res and Rads.

I've noticed that my VGA Loop Temps have been creeping up about 3c-4c since I first put together my WC system. I figure I need to clean my blocks or is this something else deteriorating? I'll probably replace all my TIM and Themal pads, but should I look for anything else deteriorating?

My current System is in my sig and plan to upgrade to a Rampage III Formula, 6g G-skill PC12800 C6, Corsair AX1200, and 3xGTX470. I'm also upping my XSPC 240 Rad to a 360.

Loop 1
    XSPC 360 RAD w/S-Flex 1600 Fans
    XSPC dual Res w/pump
    Liang DDC3.25 pump
    EK HF Supreme CPU Block
    EK Mosfet blocks

Loop 2
    XSPC 240 RAD w/S-Flex 1600 Fans
    Liang DDC3.25 Pump
    EK Full MB Block
    2x Koolance VID-NX470 Blocks

Also
    mCubed BigNG and 1x MiniNG w/sensor hub Being changed out for a Koolance TMS200 w/Expansion Card. Distilled Water with PT Nuke Biocide.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
    TIA
    HAF 932-ASUS Rampage Formula III-i7 980x-12G G-Skill Sniper 1600 C9-GTX970 4g SLI-Corsair AX1200i PSU-Dual Loop WC
    Thermaltake W200-Rampage V Edition 10-i7-6850k-G-Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-GTX1080Ti Strix SLI-Corsair AX1500i-Dual Loop WC

Xtreme Mentor
    Yep, two links, one you know, pre cleaning new stuff, and my rebuild log. Hope it helps.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=631501
    http://www.overclockers.com/annual-w...build-journal/
    GPU teardown
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=669250

You made no mention of liquid or biocide. That could be a clogging block etc.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    Why do you have two loops though? Certainly you don't run both CPU and GPUs under full load at the same time 24/7 - seems to me your 360 radiator is pretty much wasted when it could be helping to cool your GPUs as well.

Gabe did a test regarding dual/single loops

Banned
    You probably have plasticer leach in any block that has micro fin design. I do not reconmend taking apart the gpu blocks- almost impossible to get back together. Radiators can be cleaned easily, flush with tap, soak with boiling water for 10 minutes, then rinsed/soaked with distilled. Repeat if needed. For acrylic reservoirs can be cleaned easily. soak in wurm distilled + a very small amount of dish soap for 24 hours. rinse well, then soak in wurm distilled for a few minutes for streak free clean.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vhaarr View Post
    Why do you have two loops though? Certainly you don't run both CPU and GPUs under full load at the same time 24/7 - seems to me your 360 radiator is pretty much wasted when it could be helping to cool your GPUs as well.

Have you ever cooled the chipset with individual mosfets? The tubing run is a nightmare. Too many tight bends. That is reason enough for a second loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Yep, two links, one you know, pre cleaning new stuff, and my rebuild log. Hope it helps.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=631501
    http://www.overclockers.com/annual-w...build-journal/
    GPU teardown
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=669250

You made no mention of liquid or biocide. That could be a clogging block etc.
    Great info, Thanx!
    How did you get Koolance to provide the O-Ring sets for the 470 blocks? Wish I had thought of that, but judging by your pics my blocks shouldn't be much different and I can hopefully get by for a few weeks or so until I can get some O-Ring sets and rebuild them.

As for water I used Distilled and Petra's PT Nuke Biocide.

Quote Originally Posted by vhaarr View Post

My temps on both loops were about the same under full load. Mid to High 60c's. Fact is my CPU loop(4.1Mhz OC) with the 360 Rad hit 70c-72c during stress tests yet my GPU Loop topped out at 68c-69c at full stable OC under stress. My Idle temps on my GPU Loop are 3c-5c+ over my CPU loop however.

It's moot though since I'm upping my 240 Rad to a 360. I'm also gonna try changing my fans from S-Flex 1600rpm's to SlipStream 1900Rpm's on the GPU Loop.

I wanted to get some of the High RPM Typhoons but couldn't justify the cost at the moment. ($22 vs $9).

Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    Have you ever cooled the chipset with individual mosfets? The tubing run is a nightmare. Too many tight bends. That is reason enough for a second loop.
    Couldn't agree more. Fortunatly I got an assortment of 90's and 45's, some rotary and some not. I also used 1/2ID x 3/4OD Primoflex hose (Blue and Red)with compression fittings- all Bitspower.
    HAF 932-ASUS Rampage Formula III-i7 980x-12G G-Skill Sniper 1600 C9-GTX970 4g SLI-Corsair AX1200i PSU-Dual Loop WC
    Thermaltake W200-Rampage V Edition 10-i7-6850k-G-Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-GTX1080Ti Strix SLI-Corsair AX1500i-Dual Loop WC

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalamaniac View Post
    It's moot though since I'm upping my 240 Rad to a 360. I'm also gonna try changing my fans from S-Flex 1600rpm's to SlipStream 1900Rpm's on the GPU Loop.
    slipstreams are junk as far as rads go, no pressure, inflated numbers...more noise than they're worth...just generally bad fans.

Quote Originally Posted by m0r7if3r View Post
    slipstreams are junk as far as rads go, no pressure, inflated numbers...more noise than they're worth...just generally bad fans.
    Guess that's why they were so cheap compared. Well I'll give em a try for the time being untill I can get something else. Just wanted to get some more air flow under load.

What about the new high RPM Gentle Typhoons, specifically the 4250rpm and the 5400rpm?

Xtreme Member
    Gentle typhoons, just generally speaking, are awesome.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m0r7if3r View Post
    Gentle typhoons, just generally speaking, are awesome.
    I second this they are great!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    No, I just bought some that I am going to use on my next build and I am looking forward to it Tight bends can be sexy though, but yeah I imagine it's a pain!

Xtreme Member
    My temps on both loops were about the same under full load. Mid to High 60c's.
    Yeah, but the point is that any application or game will rarely stress both at the same time, and so a lot of your radiator surface area is just sitting there doing nothing

But if you're interested in checking out fans I suggest you go look at Martinms videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Martinm210. I use GTs But there are certainly viable alternatives for half the price!

Xtreme Mentor
    Great info, Thanx!
    How did you get Koolance to provide the O-Ring sets for the 470 blocks? Wish I had thought of that, but judging by your pics my blocks shouldn't be much different and I can hopefully get by for a few weeks or so until I can get some O-Ring sets and rebuild them.

I used the support ticket. At Koolance.

The new orings sets were cheap. I didn't need them but I'm very careful. I also ordered new Tpad sets.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H