Thread: Question on cheap pump on Amazon. 12V 15A

Question on cheap pump on Amazon. 12V 15A

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-31700-0...ag=dealnewscom

Can I use this pump for water cooling in a PC case?
    Last edited by mdz2766; 03-21-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: need response

I just saw it sold out, but it was going for $21 down from 200.

Admin
    While 4.3GPM max is nice....the two ratings of 50PSI max and 15A concern me

That's like seven MCP35X's in serial...would need reinforced tubing and really strong clamps (and even then, the waterblocks themselves might not be able to handle >30PSI [which would be the pressure for the first component or two in the loop]).

On top of that, surely the heatdump from a 180W pump (not all of it goes into the water as heat, some to the air, probably 10-20% to moving the water) would almost definitely outweigh whatever flow benefits there are.

Then there's issues with powering it, cooling it (is it meant to be submerged?), and the noise it makes. I'd avoid it for WCing, even if it were free.

what about running this under powered, like with only 7A. It's air cooled and not submerged.

I'm thinking this could be used under powered for an external rad box.
    Last edited by mdz2766; 03-21-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Admin
    How do you plan on limiting current?

If it's via downvolting, then you'd need a separate, adjustable power supply (not inexpensive). And no guarantee it will run outside of 12V +/- 10%.

I am Xtreme
    Pressure washer pumps are far from quiet. It's not the actual motor making the noise but rather the pump. It's PD style pump and I've never heard a quiet one, no matter how slow it turns...If it were possible, you could take that pump down to 4V and it would still likely be louder than anything the hobby already has.

Cheap is nice but, these aren't worth your money or your time.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Chasing After Diety
    all hail the new man pump..

my Rd-30 looks even tiny compared to this guy.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    How do you plan on limiting current?

If it's via downvolting, then you'd need a separate, adjustable power supply (not inexpensive). And no guarantee it will run outside of 12V +/- 10%.
    I have lots of spare laptop/external hd adapters that are 12v and range from 1A to 6A

PAR-Max 4 Electric Diaphragm Pump w/ 12 Volt DC Motor (12VDC). Continuous rated Washdown / livewell Pump. Saltwater or freshwater use. Ports : 3/4" ID hose. c/w

It'll need an adapter for 1/2 ID tubing
    Last edited by mdz2766; 03-21-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Xtreme Member
    You can't under-current it. It will draw a set current at a given voltage or it will blow up the supply.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by m0r7if3r View Post
    You can't under-current it. It will draw a set current at a given voltage or it will blow up the supply.
    +1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    if you were to relate electronics to say, a water pipe, voltage would be the diameter of pipe, and amperage would be pressure/psi. wattage (voltage x amperage) would be flow.

think of required current of an electronic device as not pressure, but vacuum, when in relation to the wall socket. electronics 'pull' a certain amount of juice (wattage), at a certain vacuum (amperage) through a certain size hole (voltage) off the main supply (the wall). anything in between the electronics and the wall that can't handle that sort of suction basically collapses, like when you take a straw, plug one end, and suck on it. as was said, your supply will fail. possibly catastrophically.

another example would be that of a supercharger. your electronic device being the supercharger. if you have too much blockage between the outside air and the charger, or your intake pipe is too small/restrictive and not built to flow the amount the supercharger is asking for, it will collapse (or at a minimum eat your filter). (note that in automotive applications this is actually very rare as nobody uses a garden hose for their intake, but the analogy still sorta stands. it's hard to find a good 'pressure' or amperage-related analogy).
    Last edited by defect9; 03-21-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    all hail the new man pump..

my Rd-30 looks even tiny compared to this guy.
    Now he just needs a Windy Computer, and that image you posted earlier would truely apply . He'd also have my utmost respect if he managed to fit that pump with a watercooling system into a midtower !
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Member
    Cheap pump needed or a less expensive one needed? That is the question.

Cheap can mean two entirely different things.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump Maverick, BMaverick ... has a massive hoard of a Laing DDC pump stash