Thread: Heads Up, Problem with TJ07 with inverted RIIIE

I am Xtreme

Heads Up, Problem with TJ07 with inverted RIIIE

Just when I thought I was about to hit the home stretch, I noticed this....

Yep, the molex connector is blocked by the MB tray brace. Once again, take it apart, mod and repaint!
    This MB has 2-8 pins and 2-4 pins and of course the 24 pin. Really, how much power does this MB need?

Xtreme Member
    I'm pretty sure that connector isn't necessary except to (further) stabalize PCIe power.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by m0r7if3r View Post
    I'm pretty sure that connector isn't necessary except to (further) stabalize PCIe power.
    I have been getting mixed reports, especially if you occupy two slots with 580's and a RAID card.

I am Xtreme
    As long as you use the other connector I am sure you would be fine. I used three highly clocked GTX460 and my ioXtreme in my R3E w/ only one molex connected.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
    I have been getting mixed reports, especially if you occupy two slots with 580's and a RAID card.

Yeah, there's no way only 2 gtx 580 pull so much power that you need to plug in this extra one.

I'm going to side with lowfat here

Xtreme Member
    You also have to keep in mind that the cards are designed to meet a certain spec, and that spec dictates that they only pull 75w from the PCIe slot, 75w from 6 pin connectors, and 150w from 8 pin connectors. That said, the RIIIE is designed for ln2 benching where the cards are run well past spec and may pull much more than rated power, which is what those connectors are for, and that at stock/minor overclock or with a decent psu you don't have to shift the load across different rails (because the heavier the load on the rail the less stable/clean the power) so the connector serves no real purpose...

I am Xtreme
    Yeah, you only need one. It would work fine with none, too (just puts slightly more stress on your 24-pin depending on your gfx card config). Just safer that way. Using two won't get you any further.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor
    I ran three GTX470's on my Extreme when I had it without using either of the extra molex connectors and that was overclocked, didn't have an issue. But hey, if it makes you feel better, mod it and make it fit.

Edit: By the way, it looks like you could almost fit the molex connector in there to the point I would mod the connector, shave a little off of it, before I would mod the tray.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Mentor
    This is Extreme right? Desolder the molex connector, add a few wires, put the molex somewhere else. Put a pigtail right off the mobo. Clean looking too.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    Notch the thing with a dremel. Problem solved. What's the issue?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronharmon View Post
    Notch the thing with a dremel. Problem solved. What's the issue?
    he's painted the case already and he's going for perfection with the build...and that connector doesn't need to be used