Thread: Laing DDC start to make some noise

Laing DDC start to make some noise

My DDC starts to make some noise. I cant describe it but i'm sure its not from the air or vibration. The pump is mounted with damping material and has been working quietly up to recently.

Is this a symptoms of its dying? They pump doesnt have impeller so i guess its the motor thats dying?

One ideas?

Hope fully its repairable.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Take it apart and clean it. Possible the impeller could be out of balance due to some sort of debris. If it's still making noise, replace it.

Xtreme Addict
    Maybe you can give a description if possible? Is the sound ticking or continuous? Is it a high pitch or more of a low hum? Does it create a resonance in the pump (does the pump vibrate at aprox. the same frequency of the sound)? Stuff like that can be helpful .

Do as Martin suggested. Clean it properly, and if the sound remains, consider replacing it.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Member
    When you clean the impeller, do NOT use soaps or anything that can dry out plastics. The impeller rides on the little ceramic ball that sits on a post/stem. The impeller has small plastic fingers that ride on the white ceramic ball. Cleaners that dry out the plastic or act like a mild cleaning acid can alter these plastic finger like members causing the impeller not to ride properly on the ceramic white ball.

Why the pump is cleaned out, put two drops of 3in1 oil or dab a thin coating of 5W20/30 motor oil on the white ceramic ball. Next, place the impeller onto the white ceramic ball and gently turn the impeller back and fourth in near complete turns a few times. Just a little amount of oil will re-seep into the nylon plastic of the impeller to assist in lubricating it. Then reassemble the pump.

If Laing-ITT ever made the impeller material out of a lubricated Delrin, the pumps would last so much longer, be really quieter, and can run for a period of no fluids. This would only cost less than $5 per pump to do.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump Maverick, BMaverick ... has a massive hoard of a Laing DDC pump stash

my pump started to make noise a few months ago then it went away, i assumed that it was air as with a it quit affter i moved the case.

Quote Originally Posted by bmaverick View Post
    When you clean the impeller, do NOT use soaps or anything that can dry out plastics. The impeller rides on the little ceramic ball that sits on a post/stem. The impeller has small plastic fingers that ride on the white ceramic ball. Cleaners that dry out the plastic or act like a mild cleaning acid can alter these plastic finger like members causing the impeller not to ride properly on the ceramic white ball.

Why the pump is cleaned out, put two drops of 3in1 oil or dab a thin coating of 5W20/30 motor oil on the white ceramic ball. Next, place the impeller onto the white ceramic ball and gently turn the impeller back and fourth in near complete turns a few times. Just a little amount of oil will re-seep into the nylon plastic of the impeller to assist in lubricating it. Then reassemble the pump.

If Laing-ITT ever made the impeller material out of a lubricated Delrin, the pumps would last so much longer, be really quieter, and can run for a period of no fluids. This would only cost less than $5 per pump to do.
    is that something that some1 could make as a 3rd party add on, or maybe some1 with a reasonable volume like gabe from swiftek could request it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi