Thread: Stains on new EK supreme block

Xtreme Member

Stains on new EK supreme block

Hello,

I found damage on my original EK Supreme HF nickel block, and took it to the store for a replacement.

Unfortunately, it wasn't until after the 90 minute train ride home that I decided to check the new block, and found that the bag containing the block (with the EK seal on it) was torn open. That, and I found the block base has stains on it when I opened the block to inspect it:

You can see the two horizantal lines (lining up with the jet plate) in the middle, and the stains towards the bottom end of the picture, on the channels.

The pink/green are just reflections in the block.

Should I use this block, or return it (again?)

Thanks,

Odai.

Xtreme Member
    Take a toothbrush to it and see if it comes out...might just be manufacturing residue, sorta difficult to tell from the picture

Xtreme Member
    The main thing I'm concerned about is the possibility it has been used previously, and that the stains are due to coolant.

The torn block bag, and the damaged outer packaging compound that concern.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    EK seals them for a reason, looks like they replaced yours with a return.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Xtreme Addict
    Hey,

I don't know about if the block has been used, but I guarantee you that that does not affect tooling performance whatsoever. And the block can be used perfectly without any concerns.
    You can also contact our support with better pictures with a white background. The yellow shade does make block look gold plated.
    Quote Originally Posted by creidiki
    EKs are like waterblock pr0n

Xtreme Member
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I can't get any better photos due to the reflective properties of the block.

I have sent the original copy of the photo (not resized, should show more detail) with a support ticket.

Xtreme Addict
    To make better picture use sheets of paper around and above the object with enough light

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it...not going to affect performance at all...

Xtreme Member
    Crap.

Do you (or whoever is responsible for support) mind checking out the photo I sent in to see if it is of acceptable quality first? Having the full size photo seems to make it clearer.

I wouldn't ask, it's just that it's gonna be a nightmare to crack open the block again and then re-assemble it.

Thanks,

Odai.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry, missed your post Martin.

I guess I'm more concerned about the product being pre-used, but it's probably more useful just to talk to the retailer for that. Am quite miffed, was looking forward to getting my loop set up today.

Banned
    Where did you purchase the block?

Never go full retard
    Was the EK warranty sticker intact before you took the block apart? At least, I think they are still doing the stickers after pressure testing before packaging.

Xtreme Member
    I bought it from Scan Computers in the UK.

Skinnee, there wasn't any warranty sticker on the block at all. This did actually surprise me, as all the reviews I've read (including yours ) show the block to have a "warranty void if removed" sticker.

Never go full retard
    They might not be doing the stickers anymore since it just caused confusion for folks who wanted to switch to a different plate... was curious more than anything else.

Xtreme Member
    Ek has helpful customer service
    Internal Watercooling Antec 900 Build Log*

WC loop: Black ice extreme 240 radiator, XSPC 120 radiator, HK 3.0, D5 pump with Bitspower top, DD fillport, Primochill tubing, distilled + ptnuke

Pink Floyd is #1

Xtreme Member
    Absolutely, they have always been very swift and polite in responding to my support tickets.

Thinking back, all the EK CPU blocks I've had didn't have the sticker on them. Only my GPU FC block has it, so I guess you're right Skinnee.

I am Xtreme
    Looks like it's been used to me.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    I contacted the retailer, and they're refusing to accept it's been used.

They even sent me screenshots of their database showing the product's movement. It seems it's come straight from the supplier to them and then sold to me.

Xtreme Addict
    Hi,

I don't think that Scan would be selling used block ether.
    The spot of the jet plates might be due to water in the compressed air when leak testing.
    Or the part where the block is i contact with stainless steel jet plate went brighter.
    The picture is not good for evaluating due to yellow cast.
    And inside fins there may be the little drops of water in nickel-plating process if it was not fully cleaned and dried with compressed air.

I suggest you install the block and run that baby!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for your response Eddy, much appreciated.

I did ask whether it was possible the block was used before it got to Scan (they didn't say who they purchased the block from), but then they told me they were all purchased straight from you guys, so that's put my mind at ease. I've installed it all into a loop, and will start leak testing.

I'll let you know if it explodes or anything.