Thread: Racism in online games

Xtreme Member

Racism in online games

Hello, I am currently working on a project at my university that deals with racism in online gaming. We are creating a website solely dedicated to the issue of racism in online games. If anyone here has ever been a victim of racism in online games I would like to hear your story. I would like to know how it made you feel and how you reacted. Your stories will help us create a better site that provides better information on how to deal with racism in online games. Please p.m. or email me if you have something to share that can't be shared here.
    Last edited by DefStar; 03-20-2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

c[_]
    You might be more successful to research hate, stress, and depression as it is not just a racism motivated action when some spiteful individual lashes out.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    You might be more successful to research hate, stress, and depression as it is not just a racism motivated action when some spiteful individual lashes out.
    depending on for what type of people the racism is pointed for, statistics and simple math will do

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Besides what was already said, you might want to actually learn how to spell simple words first, especially if this is a university project. At the very least use a spell checker.

Examples:

Solely, not soley
    Hear, not here
    Site, not sight

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by D4rkn3ss View Post
    depending on for what type of people the racism is pointed for, statistics and simple math will do
    True, prof's aren't usually the brightest bunch when it comes to real-world interaction.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Anyhow, what I was looking for was anyone who has experienced racism in online games. I can always spell check later.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    True, prof's aren't usually the brightest bunch when it comes to real-world interaction.
    prof's meaning professors? i wasnt talking about that.

let me give you one example: here on brazil we brought on ships a few of those black people to pick coffe and now they are 54% of the population. according to the last census, the white people portion of the population produces 90%+ of everything the country worth, now you do the math of where the taxes money go and what for, nevermind statistics on prison population and expenses on public security for that matter.. as it is, a situation like this can produce racism and it is not related with any of those other motives you have mentioned

Xtreme Member
    I think that the problem is not necessarily race driven. The problem is that people in an angered state of frustration tend to hurl racial slurs at others. So yes, psychiatry would most likely reveal the root of the problem. However, there are a lot of adolescents of which should not be exposed to these types of slurs. It is our belief that parents (unfamiliar with the online gaming scene) need resources (such as a website) to assist them in protecting their children from exposure to these types of racial slurs. Moreover, I'm sure many of you would agree that these types of comments are immature and counterproductive. So please, if any of you have ever been the target of someone's mindless hate speech, I would like to know how you reacted and how it made you feel.
    Thanks
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

it's a non-issue. you cannot cause anyone direct "harm" over the internetz and therefore your efforts will probably be better spent on more significant topics where you might be able to help alleviate some actual harm in society. people just need to grow some thicker skin and learn to ignore comments they don't like. trying to make "e-bullying" illegal is completely retarded. same idea with the westboro supreme court case that upheld the freedom of speech over some people getting their feelings hurt.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...056613,00.html

there i just did your whole project for you.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Not sure why it's just racism. I mean one cannot really see the color of the skin of other players can he ?
    But the best way to just ignore the troll. it won't go further than the chat window anyway.
    You might want to research as to why ppl even refer to such actions. Fighting the consequences is little bit too late.
    Last edited by Cooper; 03-20-2011 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DefStar View Post
    I would like to know how you reacted and how it made you feel.
    Thanks
    What comes to mind for me is after being online and gaming for over 13 years,
    You just deal with it. It can be mind numbing at times to hear individuals say some of the meanest things because they learn I am black "so called".

Sometimes there is not much that can be said. I mean I can be in the flow of gaming in tf2 and all of a sudden someone will say N....gg.. this or that .

Just throws you off. Although not a surprise as that is something I have dealt with my whole life from a boy to now a man. Mostly out of the mouth of "so called" white people.

I find that most kids or whatever they are will say many things from behind a computer as they are safe and can get away from it.

I have yet to see someone as I have grown in too adulthood say it to my face.

Too me it has to do with rearing in the home. How one is raised. It is a heart issue and not a psychological issue.

When the heart is right... the mind is right..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm not sensitive so any negative word thrown at me doesn't really bother me, whether it be racial or not. People who are angry will attack you however you allow them too and usually racial slurs are the easiest win.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Not sure why it's just racism. I mean one cannot really see the color of the skin of other players can he ?

Thats the direction I was gonna take my reply in. As far as i'm aware, most gaming is voice-comm only, not video.

In the heat of the moment, people may say bad things... which may or may not have any relevance or offensive meaning to the person at the other end. If the "right" comment connects with the "right" person, do they see it as racism, or just random abuse?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Member
    White people!
    My System

Core i7 970 @ 4.0Ghz
    Asus P6X58D Mobo
    6GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 Memory
    1000watt Corsair PSU
    Windows 7 64bit
    EVGA GTX 670 SC 4GB

Xtreme Member
    Often times, the ones spewing out the racist remarks are the players with the worst scores. I just ignore it.
    Q6600 G0, G41M-ES2H
    2x2gb OCZ Reaper HPC, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
    Intel 160gb X25-M, 1tb WD Caviar Black
    460 eVGA GTX SC EE 1gb
    Corsair 620w, Asus 24" 1920 x 1200

Xtreme Member
    So, I hear a lot of you saying that racial attacks are OK so long as they are not to your face? How about your little brother(s) or sister(s), do you think should be exposed to such comments? Should they learn to shrug it off as we do, or should we do something about it for them? And for those with children, what about them?
    Last edited by DefStar; 03-20-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: add on
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

NooB MOD
    If someone insults you online, frag 'em
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Admin
    Hello, I am currently working on a project at my university that deals with racism in online gaming. We are creating a website solely dedicated to the issue of racism in online games. If anyone here has ever been a victim of racism in online games I would like to hear your story. I would like to know how it made you feel and how you reacted. Your stories will help us create a better site that provides better information on how to deal with racism in online games. Please p.m. or email me if you have something to share that can't be shared here.
    Sorry we don't sponsor web space for university projects that deal with racism in online gaming. You'll have to take your project elsewhere.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    I think that the problem is not necessarily race driven. The problem is that people in an angered state of frustration tend to hurl racial slurs at others. So yes, psychiatry would most likely reveal the root of the problem. However, there are a lot of adolescents of which should not be exposed to these types of slurs. It is our belief that parents (unfamiliar with the online gaming scene) need resources (such as a website) to assist them in protecting their children from exposure to these types of racial slurs. Moreover, I'm sure many of you would agree that these types of comments are immature and counterproductive. So please, if any of you have ever been the target of someone's mindless hate speech, I would like to know how you reacted and how it made you feel.
    Thanks
    is any of that even POSSIBLE in an online virtual GAME?????

hmmm... no better research projects to do?
    Last edited by charlie; 03-25-2011 at 10:09 AM.