Thread: Consolidating my build from a MM EX Asc. to a Pinnacle 24

Xtreme Member

Consolidating my build from a MM EX Asc. to a Pinnacle 24

While I love my MM Extended Ascension, I've decided to do a rebuild in a Pinnacle 24 (mostly due to wanting a smaller PC).

Question 1:

My current build has an i930 + EVGA Classified 760 cooled with two pumps + 2 3x120 radiators. The 2nd loop has one pump/3x120 radiator cooling two HD5970 cards.

I've always known that was a little overkill, but wanted to confirm that reducing the cpu/MB loop to one pump+one 3x120 would be sufficient.

Question 2:

I'm currently using a Corsair HX1000 to run all of this.. a while ago I threw in another PSU I had lying around to take some of the load off that HX1000 due to messing around with OCing the CPU and the HD5970s. Everyone says the HX1000 can handle whatever is thrown at it, but using the PSU calculator it looks like I'm going over the wattage when OCing.. so to alleviate this I threw in the extra PSU.

For the new build, I obviously cannot use two PSUs.. so I'm thinking about selling one of the HD5970s.. I'd like to keep them both, but I'm worried that I'll blow the HX1000. Any thoughts? (assuming I don't go out and get a 1200 or 1500 watt PSU).

Thanks!

Your 1000w PSU is not enough. Peak power usage on that rig should be 800w max OCing the CPU but not the GPU. Overclocking the CPUs as well is going to get you close to the 1000w so I would swap for a 1200 w PSU

Triple rad for the CPU is overkill but needed for the twin GPUs. Maybe a triple and a single would do on a single loop: pump-GPUs-triple rad-CPU-single rad-pump

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Keep the dual triple, but I'm biased for more rad.

But seriously oc'ing dumps heat dual triple keeps your overhead.
    Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MagisD View Post
    Keep the dual triple, but I'm biased for more rad.

But seriously oc'ing dumps heat dual triple keeps your overhead.
    Yeah, I had no intention of going with anything less than (2) 3x120's.. mostly because the Pinnacle 24 comes with a 3x120 front plate, and the only option for the top plate is a 3x120 or 4x120.. I just wanted to be sure the 3x120 in a single cpu/MB loop was enough, taking into consideration about a 4ghz OC.

I really want to avoid getting another PSU.. mostly due to the asspain that is sleeving

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm working on a ax 1200 right now. And I have carpal tunnel, and just ran out of small heat shrink.

I get it.

but that rad more than enough form that loop.

MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    if your 930 is only oc'ed to 4ghz, then your current PSU is more than fine. Online psu calculators are biased so you buy bigger units

For your other question, 3x120mm for a cpu + board will be fine for 4ghz. If you pushed closer to 4.5, then you would run into capacity problems. The relationship between cooling power and cpu speed is not linear. At 4.6ghz my 920 is at 72c after hours of x264 encoding (harder stress test than prime95 for sure) but if i go to 4.8, it jumps to 90-95c with 2x3x120mm on that loop. Just make sure you're using decent thermal paste like indigo extreme and you'll be fine.

Chasing After Diety
    how do you expect to fit all the stuff u had in a case 2/5th size?

i think i would be running around like a headless chicken going the sky is falling the sky is falling, if someone made me condense my system like that.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post

i think i would be running around like a headless chicken going the sky is falling the sky is falling, if someone made me condense my system like that.
    Your system condensed would still take up a small stadium.

MagisD

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by MagisD View Post
    Your system condensed would still take up a small stadium.

no.. i was a tetris master when young.. i know how to stratigically place objects... well.... to an acceptable degree..

Serious note.. buck.. think of going external lc? and just having tubes goto a small case?

Thats the only compromise i would ever have if i needed to condense.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post

There should be plenty of room:

- going from QTY 3 3x120 RADs to 2 (one in front, one on top).
    - going from QTY 3 pumps to 2 (one per loop)
    - going from 2 PSUs to 1 (I splurged and ordered the 1200W Corsair)
    - going from 2 FC-5 fan controllers to 1

Still on the fence about going from 2 HD5970s to 1.. I'll probably stay with 2. Also considering moving up to a 980X from my 930.

The question I'm trying to answer now is should I bother taking apart the EK 5970 blocks and doing a good cleaning... the clear acrylic seems a little 'smokey' to me.. will it be worth the hassle of trying to clean these?

The water in the reservoirs is still crystal clear, after 6 months.. god bless PT Nuke.