Thread: Vertex 3 (Raid 0) questions

Xtreme Enthusiast

Vertex 3 (Raid 0) questions

I am currently running a X25-M G2 on my Gigabyte UD9 ICH10R Sata 2 port. I am thinking about upgrading to two 128GB Vertex 3's in Raid 0 when they launch here next week.

The UD9 uses the garbage Marvell 9128 Sata 3 controller that maxes out barely above Sata 2 speed as its connected through a single PCI-E lane. I was thinking of Raiding the two Vertex 3's on the Sata 2 ICH10R ports.

Now I know I would really be hampering the sequential read which theoretically should be around 1GB/sec down to ~500 MB or so a second on dual Sata 2 ports. But besides the sequential read limit though, pretty much every other type of drive parameter should be much quicker. Sequential writes should be able to go up to ~500MB/sec.

Do you think for OS/gaming I would see a noticeable gain in gaming performance going with Raid 0 Vertex 3's on the ICH10R? I would be doubling my current sequential reading and increasing my write speeds by factors of 4-10 times. Although, the X25-M G2 has always faired fairly well in small 4k reads as its strong suite.

This will also leave an upgrade path for LGA2011 when I can plug them into real Sata 3 ports and get their full potential later this year.

Also, what do you guys think is a good stripe size for Win 7 64 for an OS/game Raid 0 array? I've read most say 64-128Kb. Will the firmware garbage collection be enough to keep the drives healthy in Raid 0 as they won't be receiving TRIM commands?
    Last edited by Callsign_Vega; 03-17-2011 at 10:14 AM.
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

Xtreme Addict
    Last edited by Andrea deluxe; 03-17-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I will be running quad-SLI so no slots. =/
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
    Do you think for OS/gaming I would see a noticeable gain in gaming performance going with Raid 0 Vertex 3's on the ICH10R?
    Pretty much zero real world difference...
    Just buy a second G2 drive and put them into RAID 0 if you really need some extra performance.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-16115060-L09C
    that seems like an alright RAID card for the price....pretty steep discount today.
    OR
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=264900 will give you some very nice options for what you are looking to do