Thread: Aqua Computer flow sensor - ticking (again)

Xtreme Member

Aqua Computer flow sensor - ticking (again)

Hello,

Just filled my loop and started leak testing. Unfortunately, I noticed my new Aqua Computer flow sensor is making an annoying ticking sound, just like in my previous thread:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=267248

This is the second one I've had, and it's doing the exact same thing as the first. Wierdly, there was no problem at all when I hooked it up to a test loop prior to fitting it in my case.

Any ideas? I find it unlikely I've been unlucky to receive a bad part twice.

Xtreme Member
    Could this issue possibly be down to air being trapped in the flow sensor?

A faulty impeller will mean having to tear down my loop again, and I want to avoid that at all costs.

Xtreme Member
    OK, I took the sensor out after determining air was not the issue.

I disassembled it, and spun the impeller on its mount. I found there is a ticking noise similar to what I hear when it's in the loop. Not sure how to solve it, as it seems inherent to the design of the sensor? The impeller is loose on the spindle, so it seems to rattle against it as it spins. There doesn't seem to be anything blocking the impellers rotation (I expected there could be some loose bit of delrin from the housing).

Any ideas?

I am Xtreme
    Is it possible to just silence it somehow with some sort of insulation. I have a couple of these on order and hope not to have this issue.

John

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A layer of something to stop out from wobbling silicon or rubber.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Xtreme Member
    The rattling is very loud, doubt you'd be able to silence it.

MagisD, how do you mean? Where would you put the material?

I just don't see how this problem wouldn't occur on all samples... The impeller is totally free to rattle against the spindle.

What I also don't understand is how it didn't happen at first, and then became a problem after installing into the main loop...

Xtreme Guru
    I suggest you to record that ticking/rattling and PM link of it to shoggy (AC rep on this forum). For them to replace/RMA it 3rd time . Imho it shouldn't tick, so extra silencing like with some sound dumpening seems wrong, especially as that would hide flow meter's silver&black box.

Hmm, on second thought. Maybe there is problem with position of FM? IIRC Koolance's FM-17 had similar problems, when placed diagonally, and until user placed it flat/leveled, noise persisted. There is nothing mentioned about mounting positions in AC's flow meter manual?

Xtreme Member
    I installed mine yesterday and it ticks. I held it in my hand while flowing and no matter what orientation or damping, it ticks. I opened it up and I think either the "water wheel" type impeller is a little too big for the shaft, or it is the magnets making the impulses.

I think they are all like this.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I've asked Shoggy in a PM to look at this thread anyways, will see what happens. I'll try and upload a recording.

I've contacted AC by email and they've told me it's definitely not normal for them to tick. They suggested it was either an air bubble, or a mechanical problem. When I found it wasn't the former, I was told to open it up and to check the impeller could spin freely.

I expected to find something in the way of the impeller, but like BrokenArrow, I found it seems inherent to their design that they will tick and therefore haven't got a clue how on Earth most people don't have this issue.

The sound does not change at all depending on the orientation.
    Last edited by Odai; 03-26-2011 at 05:45 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    How about 'three times is a charm' and RMA it once more. Maybe your strike of bad luck will end by it

Xtreme Member
    At a certain distance, you cannot really here the ticking over the radiator fans. But I would say 6=12 inches away you can here it ticking. Pinch the hose slightly and the ticking gets slower with flow rate.

Xtreme Member
    I was considering adding a flow meter to the loop but decided it would just add another restriction in the system and may cause problems. The more I read about them only confirms I made the right decision.

Just something to consider

Xtreme Member
    AC's flow sensor has been working fine for me for about a year now. But actually just like week or 2 ago I heard loud clicking noise from my pc that I hadn't heard before. it came from the flow sensor. Played around with it a bit without taking the loop apart and it disappeared. Havent noticed it after that again.
    Specs:
    HW: Lian Li PC-A71F | i7 920 | P6T Deluxe | HD5870 | 6GB OCZ Platinum 2000mhz | AX850W | Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 | Intel X25-M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB Caviar Green
    WC: EK-FC5870 | EK Supreme HF | Swiftech MCP655 with EK top | ThermoChill PA120.2 | ThermoChill PA120.3 | EK Multioption 250
    Other: Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans | Aqua Computer Aquaero | Bitspower Comp. Fittings

Aqua Computer Rep
    We have no idea what is causing the ticking noise that some sensors have. When we got such a sensor it normally helps to only exchange the impeller and the white plastic sensor cover.
    Got a question or having a problem with your Aqua Computer product?
    Contact us via PM or E-Mail.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    it's a bomb.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpy View Post
    AC's flow sensor has been working fine for me for about a year now. But actually just like week or 2 ago I heard loud clicking noise from my pc that I hadn't heard before. it came from the flow sensor. Played around with it a bit without taking the loop apart and it disappeared. Havent noticed it after that again.
    I had a loud ticking noise on a Digmesa flow sensor before (the G1/2 version).

In my case it was an air bubble trapped on the top on the impeller housing.

I undid the screws half way, lifted the top of the housing a little bit, let the air bubble out and when water started sipping out I tightened the screws again.

Not the best practice (I think I've read somewhere that o-rings and the grooves they sit on have to be dry before assembly) but didn't fancy draining the loop at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Guru
    Shoggy: Hmm, reading MrToad's post .. can you comment if some of RMAed because of ticking flow sensors were working fine for you? Then maybe unbled air bubble really might be culprit, and for future versions there can be something thought out to ease bleeding, or eg. at least some transparent "window" to see if the bubble is still there? Just like there is similar "window" for AC's waterfilter, where one can see if it needs cleaning. No such problem with already transparent Koolance's FM-17.

Xtreme Member
    I do not think it is air bubbles. I added mine to a fully bled system and also shook it several times in turned it every which direction. Same sound no matter what.

It sounded like the impeller is too big for the spindle shaft or it has something to do with the magnets in the white upper part Shoggy was referring.

Xtreme Member
    I've been in touch with Aqua Computer's (fantastic) support, and they've suggested I try a new impeller. They're sending me a new one, will hold off RMA'ing it until I test it.

There was definitely no air in my sensor when I tested it.

Xtreme Member
    Received the package (consisted of an additional o-ring, magnetic cap, impeller, and spindle), replaced the components, but there doesn't seem to be a difference. I think it's down to the design of the product more than anything else that makes it susceptible to develop this issue.

I guess I'll just return it for a refund, I can get around not having a flow sensor in the loop (I originally wanted one to alert me in the case of a blockage/tubing kink/pump failure, but I can tape thermal sensors around the loop to pick up temperature differences instead). Unfortunately, I think I'll just have to wait and see if some alternative product arrives.

I have to say, AC's support has been totally flawless. Very impressed.