Thread: watercooling maint. ?

Arrow watercooling maint. ?

I am curious, one thing holding me back on watercooling is the aspect of having to maintain it. I like air because it's set, and it's good.

I have a server I want to watercool, sitting in an Antec 300 case, nothing too hard, 1 cpu, 1 gpu + northbridge that gets roasty toasty.

The thing is on 24/7, and I don't want to have to take it down for maint. on the WC loop if I can help it.

So my question is, what do I have to do to maintain my loop?

Xtreme Member
    If you do it all properly, make sure you clean all components and use a clean liquid plus maybe a silver kill coil acting as an antibacterial agent, you could get away with running it for a year or more without having to tear it down for cleaning.

Usually, the only reason you'd have to disassemble a loop is for cleaning or upgrades.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Viveth - A properly setup loop with a reliable pump (I would never use a DDC pump on a server, only the Swiftech MCP 655/Koolance 450 models) and properly pre-cleaned radiator(s) will easily last you 1 to 2 years with no maintenance except occasionally topping off the water level a little bit. As Jumper said, the coil works well or you can buy some algae inhibitor at a pet-store for $3. We have 23 servers/workstations in our lab and four of them use watercooling with no problems.

Banned
    What is the big deal? Even on air you tear down once a year, dust and reseat everything.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have been running my server for over a year now 24/7 ... watercooled Q6600 O/C to 3.6Ghz
    and havn't seen any change in temperatures.
    i guess i'll do a tear down sometime this summer and clean it out... well mabe...
    like i said my temps haven't changed since i first set it up so i don't realy see a need to clean it.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)

Xtreme Member
    With my current build, the only maintenance I've had to do is top off the water in my res. I don't see any signs of bacterial growth. It's been 1 year 3 months since I assembled the loop.

Good to know, and no, I never tear down my Air pc's ... sometime I just can air them, but rarely (rarely builds up dust).

Xtreme Member
    I used 90% distilled water, 10% pentosin and a few drops of PT nuke. Drained it for the first time in about 3.5 years. Came out the same clear blue color that went in. The tubes started turning blue but nothing growing inside.

I did have to top it off once or twice a year and I added a drop of PT nuke for good measure.
    Last edited by foodfightr; 03-14-2011 at 01:53 PM.

i use 90% distilled water, 10% (99.9% proof) ethanol and a silver killcoil. After 5 months my Clearflex60 tubing started giving off plasticizer on its walls. I swapped out the tubing, refilled the loop. All my rads and blocks were clean.

vivithemage, dont worry about how difficult watercooling could be. Its just tubes and blocks etc... All the info you find on the web might make you think its difficult but its not. Stop worrying and dive in the water!

Where do you put the silver in it? Could I just drop it in the rad? What are the best/better tubes out there?

I am Xtreme
    You want to put silver coil in your reservoir. That way it does not affect performance.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor
    Maybe this will help.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...96&postcount=3

You can easily learn what is best by just reading lots. My link will help. You just dunno yet, you need to learn. Rest is up to you. Your stuff, you need to figure it out.

I spent THREE months reading before I bought my first WC parts list. Been perfect with many upgrades and mainteneance ever since.

Again, your stuff, you are the key to a good build.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

I've actually read almost all of those links, I was just unsure about a few thing still...especially maint.

I actually just made my first thread on my WC build.

Xtreme Guru
    im no watercooling pro, but what i do is make a gallon of distilled, and add PTNuke to it as a pre-mix. then i keep it around and use it for topping off.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

I use distilled water and a splash of Nulon Ultracool (car coolant) and close my loop for minimum of a year with 0 issues.
    Asus P8P67 Evo|i7 2500K|Corsair 8GB 1600|Gigabyte 5850|Asus Xonar STX|OCZ Vertex 30GB| 3 x WD20EARS| WD1001FALS| Seasonic X750W| Lian Li PC-P50WB| Water: EK Supreme HF, XSPC 360, MCP655, EK 150 res |

Xtreme Guru
    6 months is when i clean my loop, just make sure everything is cleaned thoroughly and ur good to go!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think you could significantly lengthen the times between maintenance by swapping the coolant rather often. You could see if you have a junk in the coolant after you drain it. Of course you should have a fill and drain port for this to make sense.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    ..:Core i7 870///eVGA P55 Classified///VTX3D Radeon 6970///Asus Xonar D2X///16GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL///WD 6400AAKS 640Gb///Samsung F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB///Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB///Pioneer DVR 216///Seasonic X-series 850///Corsair Obsidian 800D///Logitech G15 rev.1///Logitech G400@Zowie G-TF Spawn///Philips 240SW:..

..:EK Supreme Acetal///Bitspower Black Freezer EIP55NSC///Magicool Pro III///S-Flex E@7v///Laing DDC-1T w/ EK Plexi top///EK Multioption 150:..