Thread: Idea for flexible mosfet/ram cooling companion for universal GPU blocks

Xtreme Guru

Idea for flexible mosfet/ram cooling companion for universal GPU blocks

Will this work? Any comments?

Preamble story:
    I thought a lot on making universal ram/mosfet cooling solution that would work on most gpus available. With all the different chip placement (including different placement height), and need to use many mini mosfet waterblocks or always custom made unisink or minisinks. Few of ideas along the way were minisinks connected with heat pipe on which they can slide/rotate, or something that can be bolted together from different minisinks/connector plates/distancer plates.

Then today i remembered two products by Swiftech and one Koolance, that might be made into one:
    Swiftech's U-shaped MCW-Ramcool + Koolance's "water bag" MB-49-L06.
    I can somehow imagine such flexible water bag in U-shape to be put on both ram chips and mosfets and kept in place with some springy plastic clip that attaches/presses it at them.
    - It should result in something reasonably priced;
    - Should work on virtually any GPU without any customization/new model/etc;
    - Small drawback would be worse contact/worse heat eaxchange then with normal waterblocks, but as GPU chip is one putting out most heat, imho this should be nevertheless enough for ram & mosfets, especially if plain heatsinks were enough before?
    - Main drawback i see - worse looks/suffered bling. But, as there is niche in LC that hunts less after bling, more after smart price/performance cooling, and many using universal gpu blocks fit in this niche, it might not be that big of a problem.

If this really makes sense and makes into real product, i give up any rights on initial idea as far as vendors who make it won't sue others who decide to make similar ones later on

EDIT
    Hmm, kept on thinking on bad looks drawback, and simplest way to solve it seemed to release some plastic box/cover (releasing in few popular GPU card lengths, eg. 20/25cm) to hide universal WB/this flexible WB and rest of GPU beneath it to solve that with result looking like some 2slot air cooled card With two pairs of tubing coming out. One can also slap some stickers (eg. for carbon fiber looks , or with vendor's name) on flat surfaces of that "box" to improve looks of it.
    Last edited by Church; 03-14-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I use EK VGA Supreme HF with sink for VRM area but no sink for RAM area
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Guru
    Hmm, from looks of it with such element placement between other, higher, elements "bag" type waterblock might not work. Maybe only if there were some plate of needed thickness and with cutouts for those higher elements in between, but then again it won't be as universal anymore as i initially imagined it <sigh> :/
    Very thick thermal pads might be simpler to cut as needed .. but thermal transfer efficiency to "waterbag" would be very, very bad :/
    Last edited by Church; 03-15-2011 at 06:16 AM.