Thread: A call to vendors - Direct Drive GPU Needed!

Chasing After Diety

A call to vendors - Direct Drive GPU Needed!

Ok, lately, water has exploded. Im talking almost big bang cosmic creation level exploded.

Its nothing like what it was when i first signed up on this forum.

This means, we are getting a lot of interest in this hobby, and i dont want our high class vendors to lose to some corsair H#0.

Recently on Anandtech especially, ive been getting a lot of inquiries on a gpu only system.

Until recently gpu only loops were kinda taboo, because of the initial cost and sort.

So heres the thing.... I challenge one of our high class vendors to come out with a direct drive GPU, so we can get even a further migration into our field.

Lets also help out vendors design a direct drive GPU.

My initial thoughts on a direct drive GPU that would work, would need to be like the EK bridge.

Imaging a side port option on the GPU block which we can attach a pump directly on top, or next to the gpu's like a bridge, that would give the GPU a direct drive option, and make GPU only loops more sensible.

Your thoughts people?
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

I've seen those all-in-one units for GPUs, the only problem was the adapter plates for the various GPUs were pricey

Admin
    MCR-Drive-B + any block(s) you want?

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    MCR-Drive-B + any block(s) you want?
    120x2 min size also not friendly sideways with barb down, like u would if u top mounted it... otherwise that would of been a viable option.

Xtreme Guru
    You mean all-in-one LC solution for gpu (IIRC i've seen such .. wasn't it for 480 fermi? IIRC not too effective compared to stock air)? Or exactly pump on gpu foremost? I don't see WHY that's good and must have in corsair H50/70 and i think same about GPUs. On top of chip can be striked out already, as usually there is less clearance below gpu card (especially in SLI setups) then above cpu.

What i really WOULD like to see in LC field related to GPUs - for all vendors to standardise placement of inlets/outlets. So that SLI and alike bridges of one vendor can be reused on other vendor full covers too. AND - to have some replacement tops reaching sideways of card for most common universal GPU WBs .. again, to be able to use SLI/CF water bridges bling with them
    Of course, i understand that at least first wish is just in our customer interests but NOT in interests of vendors. These days if you wish to use EK bridge you HAVE to buy EK blocks. It's in EK's interests. Probably same for any other vendor. Good thing almost everybody everywhere is using G1/4 at least. But even then, often problems arise eg. when some block is designed for fittings of same vendor with shorter thread, or if you can fit only some thinner fittings side by side of particular vendor when using bigger tubing sizes (nice to see that in many cases of new products last part of trend is no more).
    Last edited by Church; 03-10-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Chasing After Diety
    No lemme explain it...

A Bridge, which would be able to somehow connect to both ports on the block.
    This Bridge can be sealed so only 1 card used, or you can have 2 cards attached.

Now the bridge is ported to take a DDC where the inlet would be located on the outlet of the bridge.
    this way u can get Tubing going from rad -> inlet on gpu... then it would be pulled to the pump and back @ the rad.

The bridge is basically what im challenging vendors to make.
    This way, people who really dont care about the cpu, can keep on upgrading just by replacing the cards per simular bridge maker, and enjoy watercooling backwards.

Also would make multi loops a heck of a lot simular.

Xtreme Member
    Sounds like an idea, as gpu do make the most noise. Can you draw up a rough sketch of what you mean with this bridge thing, im finding it hard to visualizes.
    CPU: Intel 2500k (4.8ghz)
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 PRO
    GPU: HIS 6950 flashed to Asus 6970 (1000/1400) under water
    Sound: Corsair SP2500 with X-Fi
    Storage: Intel X-25M g2 160GB + 1x1TB f1
    Case: Sivlerstone Raven RV02
    PSU: Corsair HX850
    Cooling: Custom loop: EK Supreme HF, EK 6970
    Screens: BenQ XL2410T 120hz

Help for Heroes

Xtreme Guru
    Hmm. But what advantages placing pump there vs placing it anywhere else? It's just more weight for already weighted down with heavy FCs gpus. Then some standoffs to support that weight will be must heave. I'm a bit skeptical about vibration isolation too, it's not that strongly mounted and as heavy as rad with water, like direct drive rads with pumps. I'm also a bit against overintegrating things. Makes less flexible configurations that sometimes are harder to replace/upgrade/customize.

Chasing After Diety
    mmmmm actually now u got me thinking because you brought up weight.. and thats very true, weight does become a problem.....

Hard mounting the pump direct to outlet of the block using a long bridge.
    So you can use the pump to support the cards up with the long bridge.... then one probably wouldnt need a direct drive gpu... lol.... gonna have to play with this type of design.

Banned
    yeh, i think this needs a diagram dude.

Chasing After Diety
    well originally i was thinking it would be a good idea, but the notion of Weight changed everything.

The unit would be fairly big, and if u had a hori mount, the pump inlet would be inverted.

So the entire idea now that i think about it more carefully, is kinda moot..

But my other statement i was going on about using a hard bridge to support the weight of the cards is this:

You can probably open the port on top of the GPU extend tubing for a T-line so you wont need a res.

The thing is i want to think of a small package for gpu only loops, which i think will bring in more people to our hobby.
    And the only way to do that is to make it simple as possible.

Banned
    problem is not all cases have floors right below the cards. i think bottom mounted PSU is generally the done thing in cases these days.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    well originally i was thinking it would be a good idea, but the notion of Weight changed everything.

The unit would be fairly big, and if u had a hori mount, the pump inlet would be inverted.

So the entire idea now that i think about it more carefully, is kinda moot..

But my other statement i was going on about using a hard bridge to support the weight of the cards is this:

You can probably open the port on top of the GPU extend tubing for a T-line so you wont need a res.

The thing is i want to think of a small package for gpu only loops, which i think will bring in more people to our hobby.
    And the only way to do that is to make it simple as possible.
    OK Einstein, tell me this. What are you going to do if someone want to put this setup in a case like the RV02?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Off topic, but I'd really like to see single rads with built in pumps.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Cruncher
    weights not an issue, I've seen a configuration like this before where an mcp355 was completely supported by a tube from a FC block. It was in a DD Torture rack and they modified the torture rack with spacers on the side to give a little more width in the MB area. If I can find a link I'll post it. I may have videos somewhere...

EDIT: Why couldn't we just build that with existing components?
    upgrading...

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmoe View Post
    EDIT: Why couldn't we just build that with existing components?
    great things are brought out about innovation.

And were discussing a solution to it.

To be honest, a 120 can probably handle a gpu fine.. 2 gpu's even while still holding better temps then air.... 3.. err..... i hope you can afford a larger rad, if you can afford tri fire or tri sli + .

Need a tight and compact solution that doesnt require all the messy work a full on loop requires.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    OK Einstein, tell me this. What are you going to do if someone want to put this setup in a case like the RV02?
    lolol... well help me out here bud.. lol... lets think of a solution.

I can tell ya this.. if we think of a solution, it will probably recruit a ton of people who do F@H. Seeing how they love gpu crunching.

Xtreme Mentor
    Why not a bridge with the pump mounted on top of the bridge sort of like the old Apogee Drive? You could have the ports on the pump housing and have the path go in series from the pump to the first gpu back to the second gpu and then back out the pump housing. Attach a rad with a built in res and you have a nice compact solution.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Swiftech microdrive add 35x tubes and gpu plate.

Basically hard to improve on that setup. Thought about possible ways to mount the drive to the gpu plate but that just ends up as fail cause it adds even more weight to the graphics card so pump goes elsewhere. Could put it in a reservoir but thats just to complex for a small water system, so that leaves the radiator as the last substantial chunk of material and therefore pump holder.

To drop the price cause a 35x is hella overkill for a single gpu use something similar in design tot eh microdrive series radiator with a less powerful temperature controlled pump. small knob to tell it how sensitive to be to temperature(simple circuit: knob adds more resistance to thermocouple, controller circuit increases voltage to pump).

Drunkgeneering over.

Xtreme Member
    Is this another troll thread?

I find it a much better idea to integrate pumps in the radiator, as that tends to be one component that lasts the longest (blocks, especially GPU blocks, get changed all the time).
    No need for a Pump/GPU-Block monstrosity.
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

Xtreme Member
    my 2cents: universal GPU block (or just copper base)+interchangable acetal covers with water chanels and copper inserts for hot parts (VRMs VRAM etc.) for different cards and MCR-drive type rad. maybe there is no need for DDC class pump in this setup.

added:
    smth like this
    Last edited by Vetalar; 03-11-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolslave View Post
    Is this another troll thread?

I find it a much better idea to integrate pumps in the radiator, as that tends to be one component that lasts the longest (blocks, especially GPU blocks, get changed all the time).
    No need for a Pump/GPU-Block monstrosity.
    This. I feel like if we can start getting single rads with integrated pumps, to go along with the dual and triple configurations.

I think that the kind of flexibility that would offer for serial loops with redundancy, or stand-alone setups would be great.

Single 120 w/ pump in back exhaust fan, to GPU block. Talk about a very self contained loop.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    lolol... well help me out here bud.. lol... lets think of a solution.
    Current pumps are too large for what I'd like to do and pumps as small as I'm thinking of would absolutely have to be a PD design to get the job done, which are usually loud...I mean really loud (ppl think a DDC or D5 are loud, they should hear what PD pumps sound like ). It should be something that can be built into one of the GPU block covers yet keep a really low profile, something like the new Antec KÜHLER only...much smaller and much much better.

OH, and CooliT has already kind of been down this road. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...e3cfc66c7b6d23

Quote Originally Posted by CedricFP View Post
    This. I feel like if we can start getting single rads with integrated pumps, to go along with the dual and triple configurations.

I think that the kind of flexibility that would offer for serial loops with redundancy, or stand-alone setups would be great.

Single 120 w/ pump in back exhaust fan, to GPU block. Talk about a very self contained loop.
    While I agree completely and believe this is the most realistic option, we are in the minority. The majority of the end users want bigger, better, quieter, faster and single rad drives simply don't fit into their way of thinking.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Mentor
    Guys, the RAD is the largest part. Put the pump there. So if blocks need changed, all you need is a new block.

I don't see any other option. And a rad/pump setup lasts forever. Who knows what the manus of GPU blocks will do in two years.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

I am Xtreme
    The problem is VRM cooling. All cards are very different. And passively cooling VRM is the suck.
    Need to come up with some kind of universal VRM cooler first.
    Another problem is, one does not gain much OC potential when swapping a GPU heatsink for a better one. Just better noise levels.
    But there are Prolimatech / Accelerto / Thermalright / Zalman solutions for it, that are quiet and likely cheaper than a WC solution. Not to mention little to no installation issues (compared to mounting a 120-240 rad somewhere).
    Good luck, but I don't think it's a very good idea.
    Last edited by zalbard; 03-11-2011 at 06:30 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.