Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me find a decent, silent pump

Xtreme Addict

Help me find a decent, silent pump

Im looking into getting a new waterbuild together. Right now i have a Swiftec MCP35X which is quite silent. But it does some kind of high pitched noice..

So what pumps are there avalible that is quiet but still performe well? Im going to cool 1 gpu and 1 cpu on a 3x120 or 3x140 radd.

Does anyone know if a 3x140 radiator fits in the top of a Corsair 700D?
    Would a swiftec 2x120mm radiator be able to cool a GTX 570 and a i5 2500K?
    Last edited by Snowman89; 03-10-2011 at 03:54 AM.

Swiftech MCP35X is the quietest pump, the high pitched noise may be resonance. have you try to use hand to held the pump and listen if it's more silent?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard1238 View Post
    Swiftech MCP35X is the quietest pump, the high pitched noise may be resonance. have you try to use hand to held the pump and listen if it's more silent?
    Oh :O Yeah but it makes the same noice anyway. The sound seems to increase with the rpms also..

Xtreme Addict
    Get yourself a D5 Vario then you can tone it down to 3 or so and it will be silent.

Noob Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman89 View Post
    Does anyone know if a 3x140 radiator fits in the top of a Corsair 700D?
    I dont think the mounting holes are for a 140. I have a quad (480) in the roof of mine which fits perfectly with a little modding. I did the old Cosmos S mod of cutting out the mesh and drilling my own holes. Works great.

Oh :O Yeah but it makes the same noice anyway. The sound seems to increase with the rpms also..
    Do you have an aftermarket top? Some pump tops are really loud.
    Last edited by RacingTurtle; 03-10-2011 at 04:23 AM.
    Zombie Killer Corsair 700D with Quad Rad mod+240 rad mod/Asus Maximus III Formula/i5 750 @ 4Ghz/8GB GSkill Trident/HIS HD 6990/Dell u2711/120GB Kingston SSD Now!/All under EK watercooling goodness!
    HTPC Lian Li V354B/i5 750/4GB Corsair/MSI HD5770/60GB GSkill Phoenix/Corsair H50/EVGA P55 Micro SLi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingTurtle View Post
    I dont think the mounting holes are for a 140. I have a quad (480) in the roof of mine which fits perfectly with a little modding. I did the old Cosmos S mod of cutting out the mesh and drilling my own holes. Works great.

Do you have an aftermarket top? Some pump tops are really loud.
    Yeah but im just wondering if there is room in the top at all to fit a 3x140 radiator, the mounting itself i will figure out.

Actually the pump is mounted inside swiftecs own radiator, so that is the top

Noob Overclocker
    Yeah but im just wondering if there is room in the top at all to fit a 3x140 radiator, the mounting itself i will figure out.

Actually the pump is mounted inside swiftecs own radiator, so that is the top
    Yes there is plenty of room.

The pump is INSIDE the radiator?
    Zombie Killer Corsair 700D with Quad Rad mod+240 rad mod/Asus Maximus III Formula/i5 750 @ 4Ghz/8GB GSkill Trident/HIS HD 6990/Dell u2711/120GB Kingston SSD Now!/All under EK watercooling goodness!
    HTPC Lian Li V354B/i5 750/4GB Corsair/MSI HD5770/60GB GSkill Phoenix/Corsair H50/EVGA P55 Micro SLi

Xtreme Mentor
    Hmm. You must be sensitive to noise. Ah well. Put the pump in another room?

You don't know much about heatload or taken the time to learn. So, here is your link, just for you.
    LOL, and NO, you need more rad. Why I write these things, to make it easy for the masses. Who have no time or effort is lacking.............
    http://www.overclockers.com/guide-deltat-water-cooling/
    You decide, it's your stuff dude.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Addict
    Yes there is plenty of room.

The pump is INSIDE the radiator?
    Yes its this radiator, http://www.aquatuning.se/product_inf...aing-Pump.html .
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Hmm. You must be sensitive to noise. Ah well. Put the pump in another room?

You don't know much about heatload or taken the time to learn. So, here is your link, just for you.
    LOL, and NO, you need more rad. Why I write these things, to make it easy for the masses. Who have no time or effort is lacking.............
    http://www.overclockers.com/guide-deltat-water-cooling/
    You decide, it's your stuff dude.
    Not that much really, but its a really annoying sound.

You have no idea who i am or what i have done, so i think it's a bit harsh to say "You don't know much about heatload or taken the time to learn". Where did you read that i was planing on running a heavly overclocked 2500k with a overclocked GTX 570?
    I only wrote that im planing to cool a 2500K and a GTx 570, at stock they are putting out around 300w of pure heat.
    Where did you read that i was planing on a 10c DT? I never mentioned a DT, since im only planing for a regular system that prioritizes sound level rather than temperatures i dont care if i have a 20c DT as long as the computer is quieter than on air and the temperatures are under control...
    Last edited by Snowman89; 03-10-2011 at 05:28 AM.

You have same MCR320-Drive rev.2 that I'm using ? Mine also makes some kind of high pitched noise when rpm goes over 3000, below that it's very quiet. I have PWM profile set so that rpm goes high only if cpu temp exceeds 60 C, under normal conditions system is very quiet.

Noob Overclocker
    Ah I see - not seen that combo before.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mm67 View Post
    You have same MCR320-Drive rev.2 that I'm using ? Mine also makes some kind of high pitched noise when rpm goes over 3000, below that it's very quiet. I have PWM profile set so that rpm goes high only if cpu temp exceeds 60 C, under normal conditions system is very quiet.
    Yeah i have that to.. Guess i have to look more into Asrock pwm settings if there is a possibility to make my own pwm profile.

Ah I see - not seen that combo before.
    Yeah i know, its quite uncommon

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Guapa5000 View Post
    I actually had one of those pumps a couple of years ago. Great pump considering sound level and it was also really easy to use since it had a built in tank. But the performance was not really that impressive

How is EK/Phobya pumps if you look at performance and also sound level? They are quite cheap atleast..

The big pumps (DC12-400) are very powerful but also very loud. I've got two of the big ones. The small versions (DC12-260, DC12-220) are more the less silent, but also have accordingly not the performance of the big ones.

EDIT: Do you use a Shoggy Sandwich for decoupling?
    Last edited by Guapa5000; 03-10-2011 at 06:18 AM.

Yeah i have that to.. Guess i have to look more into Asrock pwm settings if there is a possibility to make my own pwm profile.
    Asus has this kind of program for defining pwm profile, works pretty nicely
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fans.PNG 
Views:	367 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	112792  

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Been working on my round 1 pump noise article, I should have something worthwhile to share on at least the Koolance/Swiftech/Laing pump flavors for this first round. Decoupling from any metals, as you would expect is critical leading to 10-15dbA differences.

Non-decoupled installs are also critical in tuning off of harmonic spikes so I would highly recommend tuning by ear to seek rpm levels that fall on the low points.

I'll have more on this later..

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    can i fix something?

The comment about the bong..

They do go below ambient regardless of what the cpu load is.
    Your looking at water temp in relationship to ambients, and a bong cooler is just that.

The amount of ventilation and evaporation u have will determine the efficiency of the bong.
    Greater the delta, greater the evaoration, better cooling u get in a bong at the cost of the medium.

And ive seen then pull as much as -5C below ambient once evap has been pulled.
    Nol aka noob of l33t had a 5+ft bong which cooled a ton of tec's really well.

Bong chillers are more efficient then any other chillers... because the cost of energy is in the shower head + fan doing the ventilation.
    You also need a lot of surface areas inside the bong like ping pong balls, or fish hobby bio spheres to increase air and evaporation.
    But dude... nuclear reactors are all cooled via bong chiller, so you have to admit, they are powerful when setup correctly.

OP lemme teach you a lesson i learned in all my years in this hobby.

1. Water can be silent, but not as close as passive air.
    2. Water @ silent will be about as good as passive air.
    3. Water @ silent, will be more headaches then passive air.
    4. Water @ silent will also cost as much as passive air.

Ummm... need silent.. just go passive AIR.
    Want high overclocks + silent? Well i want a base on the moon so i can jump like micheal jordan from the lack of gravity, but we all cant get what we want now.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 03-10-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Lol! Mind if I use that last sentence as a quote NaeKuh?
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    Lol! Mind if I use that last sentence as a quote NaeKuh?
    meh... dont care.. :P

But who doesnt want to jump as high as micheal jordan?

OK serious note... ehiem is about as quiet as your going to get.
    And nothing i say nothing will beat an ehiem in quiet and reliability.

However, i can pretty much gaurentee you that ehiem is weak.
    How weak? In a pissing contest, i think what god gave you has more head pressure then that ehiem.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 03-10-2011 at 03:20 PM.

I am Xtreme
    A DD5 Vario @ 2 or an Aquastream.

Xtreme Member
    Why should water@silent be much more of a headache than passive air? Get a big ass passive rad, install your pump in a soundproof housing and be done with it? In my mind water is the best choice for a silent setup, as you can get better performance with it. Yes it will cost more and will take up a lot of space, but it should perform better.

Aquacomputer Aquastream. That is all.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Wega52 View Post
    Get a big ass passive rad, install your pump in a soundproof housing and be done with it? In my mind water is the best choice for a silent setup, as you can get better performance with it. Yes it will cost more and will take up a lot of space, but it should perform better.
    where u going to find a true passive radiator?
    Care to show me one that works? You need surface area... and even having a lot of surface area + low RPM fans... those Low RPM fans adds up.

Also sound proof box for your pump is a good way to kill your pump.
    The pump needs to be ventilated, there is no way around this.
    The stuff we throw out is the reduce the vibration transfered to the case which usually results in a lower pitch hummmm, vs the higher hummm, but straight up, the only silent DDC is a dead DDC.

So now you got large honking passive air sinks which dont require a fan except at the exhaust, which u can better control via positive pressure to keep most dust out...

Ummm... so tell me... whats more silent then that?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    where u going to find a true passive radiator?
    Care to show me one that works? You need surface area... and even having a lot of surface area + low RPM fans... those Low RPM fans adds up.

Also sound proof box for your pump is a good way to kill your pump.
    The pump needs to be ventilated, there is no way around this.
    The stuff we throw out is the reduce the vibration transfered to the case which usually results in a lower pitch hummmm, vs the higher hummm, but straight up, the only silent DDC is a dead DDC.

So now you got large honking passive air sinks which dont require a fan except at the exhaust, which u can better control via positive pressure to keep most dust out...

Ummm... so tell me... whats more silent then that?
    Well I was able to cool a OC'ed Q6600 and a GTX460 with a Mo-Ra rad passively. My temps where high, no doubt about that, but add another big rad and it should be doable. Thats without fans at all.
    And why would it kill the pump to put it in a housing? Isnt most of them cooled by the water in the loop?
    I've only heard good things about these, never heard of dead pumps: http://www.aquatuning.de/product_inf...r-DDC-Box.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast