Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New XS Contest ~Sponsors~ Mountain Mods, Koolance & DimasTech

those scavenger hunts from a few years back were fun
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

New sponsor everyone!

Andrea from DimasTech has decided to join in and offer up a few great prizes!

Xtreme Member
    Sweet, another sponsor. A big thanks to all the sponsors for this contest!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    with that many sponsors and prices available i would consider doing multiple contests with multiple prices. probably themed to the sponsor.
    1. case modding contest w/ 1st and 2nd price for MM
    2. WC contest w/ 1st and 2nd price from Koolance
    3. Bench contest w/ 1st and 2nd price from DT

...something like .. just thinking out loud

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Very cool....looking forward to another great contest

Thanks to the sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    Here are my thoughts about it. I can understand why all the Xtreme clockers and modders want skillz based competitions (they all have a massive advantage over everyone esle). But why should all the elite, who most likely dont even need the hardware, be allowed to compete with such an obvious advantage? You end up with MOST not even trying. I would guess that over 90% of your membership would not even compete as MOST of us, myself included, are in no position to be competitive with your top 2%.

I guess this is supposed to be a competition, so yea I can see something should be done, but... having an OCing competition here... for the majority of us, that would be like having a "who has the most money" competition; and letting the rich compete against the the poor. The winner gets prizes! hehe

On that thought, I would love for some type of random drawing that levels the playing field for ALL members. I personally like the idea of Drawing one or two names a week at random for thier choice out of whatever prizes are left. This gives people hope for a prize andf something to look forward to every week.

I can fully understand why a sponsor who is offering up water blocks, cases, etc, would want something related to that field, but, those types of competitions are never accessable in a manor that is fair so as to give ALL members an equal opportunity to win a prize.

Thank you,

Little_Scrapper
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 03-14-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Member
    If you guys would look at my first post, I said that something like the Eyes on the Prize competition on HWBot would be awesome. Yes it is overclocking, but not extreme. Set a specific (but very easily attainable) score for a benchmark, and the first person to hit that target exactly wins...

Yes i agree, no Nitrogen or anything like that.
    Another way is that the winner/winners have to use what they get and show it off, not have it end up on Ebay next week or sum-such.

Also those prizes are looking bad-azz! Need a new test bench bigtime!

+1 to the "make it international"

And I'd vote for multiple contests, with 1 to 2 winner(s) each.
    Sorry for my bad english, I'm trying to improve it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks XS for making it happen and all the sponsors for making it possible.

Just as a minor update to add in some info.
    There will be some international prizing going on and what not.
    Just so it's known as well for international type prizing, to allow this, a few of the sponsors are willing to ship but would like it if the winner(s) would help pay for the shipping overseas etc. Exact details will be posted with each contest/prize when posted.

Thank you for all input that's been given and all, it is greatly appreciated for the input, keep it coming!

And again,

Thank You again to all sponsors announced and any further to be added!

Xtreme Member
    If you did it like the Eyes on the Prize contest, each sponsor could be a "stage sponsor". Each stage (benchmark/score) would have a different sponsor. I feel like the current sponsors we have all appeal to a bit differnt people (MM-huge builds, Koolancc-wc'ing, Dimas-benchers). So certain people would be more inclined towards one stage or another, knowing that the prizes are something they want. Just a thought.

Xtreme Member
    this is awsome. looking forward to the contest.

I think the idea of multiple contests is a great idea maybe one random, and one skilled? That sounds good to me as far as the cases go.
    Maybe group the other prize types? Like a test bench and reservoir Sounds cool.

Xtreme Member
    Nice, thanks to all involved!

Now, I'd recommend definitely let it be international since this community got no boundaries. Secondly, don't make the competition too extreme as a lot of the members are just starting out and many do not have the means to buy i7 980X processors and LN2. Also, if OC'ing is to take part as a contest it should be divided in two sections, budget OCers and Deep Pocket OCers; I say this because it wouldn't be fair to pit a guy that is using an i7 920 or what have you, against someone with a 980X; just my 2 cents.

PS: I would love me one of those Ascencion cases

Ol' Faithful - Retired...

- Foxconn BlackOps - E8600 @ 4.5GHz, 1.32v - 8GB Patriot Division2 @ 1600 8-8-8-20 - OCZ Apex 120GB SSD - XFX HD6870 1GB Black Edition - BFG Ageia Physx - ULTRA X3 ULT40064 1000w - Cosmos RC-1000 - Gateway XHD3000 30"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOP SECRET:

- EVGA Classified3 - i7 950 @ 4.25Ghz on 1.30v - 24GB Kingston HyperX @ 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz - XFX HD6970 v1.0 2GB @ 950/1450 - Diamond HD6970 v1.0 2GB @ 950/1450 - XFX 9800GT - SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium Champion
    - 510 120GB SSD - CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000w - Stacker 830 [Custom painted in Classified theme] - 3x 23" LG E2381VR SuperLED @ 5760x1080 - Yamaha RX-V371 Receiver - Martin Logan MTL-1 5.1ch Surround Speakers
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silver Bullet

- ASUS M4E-Z - i7 3770k @ 5Ghz - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite - HD 7970 3GB - 2x Corsair Force3 120GB SSD [RAID0] - ULTRA X4 1000w PSU

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Telo View Post
    PS: I would love me one of those Ascencion cases
    I'd love a second :-)

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    Here are my thoughts about it. I can understand why all the Xtreme clockers and modders want skillz based competitions (they all have a massive advantage over everyone esle). But why should all the elite, who most likely dont even need the hardware, be allowed to compete with such an obvious advantage? You end up with MOST not even trying. I would guess that over 90% of your membership would not even compete as MOST of us, myself included, are in no position to be competitive with your top 2%.

I guess this is supposed to be a competition, so yea I can see something should be done, but... having an OCing competition here... for the majority of us, that would be like having a "who has the most money" competition; and letting the rich compete against the the poor. The winner gets prizes! hehe

On that thought, I would love for some type of random drawing that levels the playing field for ALL members. I personally like the idea of Drawing one or two names a week at random for thier choice out of whatever prizes are left. This gives people hope for a prize andf something to look forward to every week.

I can fully understand why a sponsor who is offering up water blocks, cases, etc, would want something related to that field, but, those types of competitions are never accessable in a manor that is fair so as to give ALL members an equal opportunity to win a prize.

Thank you,

Little_Scrapper
    I agree with this.

A large majority of users on here don't have the access, time or money to be able to compete fairly. Unless it's a competition you simply sign up for, I typically ignore them all as I cannot afford to kill a cpu, mobo, ram, etc just to poster a high OC and actually lose money in the process.

I don't really know what would be a fair competition though. I just hope it's fair or even targets a lot of users who wouldn't/couldn't buy these prizes.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

You could also made a contest based on pure ideas.

Something like "Imagine the best SSD controller, and describe it technically". Sure it needs technical information and knowing about the technology, but you can find most of it here or on the internet. And everybody can write down an idea
    And the best thing is that someone, who wouldn't have said anything otherwise, can pop up with a good idea

But maybe am I a little too optimistic xD I just like to think that people can have good ideas, even if it's not their job
    Sorry for my bad english, I'm trying to improve it

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khoral View Post
    You could also made a contest based on pure ideas.

Something like "Imagine the best SSD controller, and describe it technically". Sure it needs technical information and knowing about the technology, but you can find most of it here or on the internet. And everybody can write down an idea
    Hm I like the "best idea" based contest.
    Doesn't need to be so technical as SSDs though (even though I have an advantage being a dedicated SSD engineer )

Since the sponsors are custom-case/cooler based companies, maybe make the contest(s) something that could potentially benefit them:
    1. Conceptualize the best new case/case feature that you woud like to see.
    2. Conceptualize the best new cooler/cooling related item that you would like to see.

Gather all the entries and let everyone with >20 posts vote on their favorite entries.
    "Red Dwarf", SFF gaming PC
    Winner of the ASUS Xtreme Design Competition
    Sponsors...ASUS, Swiftech, Intel, Samsung, G.Skill, Antec, Razer
    Hardware..[Maximus III GENE, Core i7-860 @ 4.1Ghz, 4GB DDR3-2200, HD5870, 256GB SSD]
    Water.......[Apogee XT CPU, MCW60-R2 GPU, 2x 240mm radiators, MCP350 pump]

-150c Club Member
    I'd say top down, this makes it so you don't necesarily have ot be the very best to win, but everyone can compete and still have a chance.
    And again, shouldn't be something hardware related, those with the best shouldn't have the best chance.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    Awesome to see these sponsors supporting our community!!

I am in to participate in any contest however I can
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?

Xtreme Member
    Seeing as how you have a company that produces cases it might be an interesting idea to have a contest where you have to design a case. The winner(s) should be who ever has the best case for a given design premise. For example, someone might design a case to be as small and as quiet as possible while someone else might design a giant case designed to make water cooling easy. The winner between the two would be whoever best fulfills their design specifications.
    "TV and the internet are good because they keep stupid people form spending too much time out in public."
    -jPod, by Douglas Coupland

"There is no Todd"
    -Dilbert, by Scott Adams

Xtreme Addict
    i would love to have ANY of these prizes...considering, we don't get them where i'm at...

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by zads View Post
    Hm I like the "best idea" based contest.
    Doesn't need to be so technical as SSDs though (even though I have an advantage being a dedicated SSD engineer )

Since the sponsors are custom-case/cooler based companies, maybe make the contest(s) something that could potentially benefit them:
    1. Conceptualize the best new case/case feature that you woud like to see.
    2. Conceptualize the best new cooler/cooling related item that you would like to see.

Gather all the entries and let everyone with >20 posts vote on their favorite entries.
    You know, I've been thinking about this. I have some ideas for cases that can house WCing better.

99% of all cases fall into two categories, either can't handle WCing at all or are massively huge. There's a few standouts and unique cases, but I think most people are sick of having half a house taken up to house a single triple rad loop in a case.

So when do we know what the contest will be?
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    I like the idea of having a bunch of smaller competitions to get people from different backgrounds involved. You could also offer some OCing and modding stuff in for some of the competitions. I remember there being a competition for a tyan board for the magny-cours when they came out where you had to write a 500 word essay about what you would do with it if you had it. There were also some comps I've seen for OCing where you would have to optimize your system under a certain speed (AMD PhenomII under 4 GHz for example). Maybe you could have a ghetto mod competition where people could do the goofiest thing with their computer, or innovate a new way to showcase it... ?

Desktop (and Cruncher #1):AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.03Ghz | Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P (F8n) | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB @ 9-9-9-24-1T 1680MHz | Radeon HD 5850 & 5830 | Silverstone ST75F 750W | 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 3x1TB WD RE3 (Raid 5) | Lian Li PC-A70B
    Cruncher (#2): Intel Core I7 920 (stock) | EVGA X58 SLI | G.Skill Pi 3x2GB | 2x Radeon HD 6870 | Corsair HX850 | Some Janky HDD | LanCool PC-K7
    Cruncher (#3): Intel Core I7 2600k (stock) | BioStar TH67+ | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB | Antec Basiq550 | Some Janky HDD | Antec 300
    Server: Intel Atom | 2x2GB DDR3 | ThermalRight TR2-430 | Some Less Janky Laptop HDD | Fractal Core-1000
    Mobile: Lenovo X120e

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast