Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia reveals the 64-bit Denver core... with a fake die shot

Xtreme Member

Nvidia reveals the 64-bit Denver core... with a fake die shot

During his introduction speech at Financial Analyst Day 2011, Jen-Hsun Huang revealed an interesting slide to the semiconductor analysts - silicon die of nVidia's first CPU. Without further a due, picture below shows what nVidia presented as Project Denver 64-bit CPU core.

As expected, no die size or manufacturing process were disclosed - given that there is a lot of features subject to change - thus take this slide with a grain of salt.
    Source

But look no further for sneaky details on the die-shot. It's a random patchwork from the official GF100 die photo. Wood screws not included.
    Last edited by fellix_bg; 03-09-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Had no idea Nvidia was thinking about entering the cpu market. Sure would be interesting.
    **RIG**
    -Intel i5 4670K 4.5GHz
    -Noctua NH-D14
    -AsRock Killerx87
    -Gskill 2100 c9
    -AMD Radeon HD7970
    -CM 690II

Xtreme Guru
    Can you explain how the die shot is "fake"? You can really tell the difference between a GF100 transistor and a Project Denver transistor? I suggest you stop sensationalizing.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fellix_bg View Post
    Source
    But look no further for sneaky details on the die-shot. It's a random patchwork from the official GF100 die photo. Wood screws not included.
    Why fake? It's hard to see any similarity with these colors:

On the other hand we know really nothing about Denver... it might use Fermi GPU cores... who knows !
    Last edited by jogshy; 03-09-2011 at 01:16 PM.

It probably is fake, but what is important to keep in mind is that that isn't unusual. Conceptual visualizations for products under development aren't anything to attack a company for.

Realistically, Skymtl, I don't think nVidia is far enough into their project to be playing with silicon already. They just announced that they're working on it--they haven't even taped out afaik. They were looking at a launch in 2012 or something, right?
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    Actually, doing this has been on Nvidia's minds for a while. Considering that Nvidia said it will take 3-4 years to actually make a CPU... you'd realize that they've been working at this for years. If they really do plan on launching in 2012, then they probably already have silicon... possibly even working silicon, likely at this point with poor yields. We shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

First silicon doesn't usually come quite that early, Russian. If they haven't even tied down a design, I'm not sure what they would have fabricated.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

all outta gum
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    If they haven't even tied down a design, I'm not sure what they would have fabricated.
    Process or technology test vehicles, just like Intel makes SRAM cells on advanced nodes even though they never end up in any product.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Member
    1. Take a VERY close look at the 8SM group in the big Fermi photo.
    2. Then shrink it horizontaly, to make it "tighter".
    3. Blend in soem rectangles of variable colour at random.
    4. ???
    5. Denver CPU!

YouTube Addict
    Now if only they would provide proper information so, that one may be able to actually use said core. [I'm still trying to find proper documentation for the ABI]
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Quote Originally Posted by G.Foyle View Post
    Process or technology test vehicles, just like Intel makes SRAM cells on advanced nodes even though they never end up in any product.
    Test dies are one thing, but this is supposedly an actual CPU core. What you say is true, but it doesn't apply in this case when what this is supposedly an image of is explicitly not a test structure like a block of SRAM but a full CPU core.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme Member
    A quick paint.NET job here I've done, only resizing, no colour improvements.

The 2 rightmost SM even get darker in the same fashion...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    First silicon doesn't usually come quite that early, Russian. If they haven't even tied down a design, I'm not sure what they would have fabricated.
    That early? Its been nearly 2 years? But I agree, its not likely that they actually do have silicon. But its possible.
    Last edited by Russian; 03-09-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Mentor
    Haha, that looks stupid. Just a fermi with some color on top of it
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme Member
    Oh, ok, I see it now! Yep, it looks like a Fermi's mockup.
    The question is... was that silicon die posted at the official conference or made by an artist for BSN to illustrate the article? We should judge the official one, not the work of a web artist...
    And the second one... perhaps the first prototypes of Denver are using Fermi as GPU... in the same way that AMD's Zacate/Llano use Radeon 6000 GPUs...
    Last edited by jogshy; 03-09-2011 at 03:59 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Just watch the NV webcast, its there.
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....&p=irol-irhome

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just add some wood screws and you have the final product!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Can you explain how the die shot is "fake"? You can really tell the difference between a GF100 transistor and a Project Denver transistor? I suggest you stop sensationalizing.
    And I suggest you stick to being nVidia's .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo75 View Post
    And I suggest you stick to being nVidia's .
    Why do people on these forums have no courtesy or respect?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthShader View Post

LOL! Nice job, DarthShader.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Xtreme Addict
    why all the sesationalism here? amd freely admits to doing the same thing... no reason to give your competators a jump on what you're doing. :shurg:

the fact that nvidia is making a cpu should come as no supprise to anyone here, considering the fact that nvidia has been making mobile cpu's for years.... now they're just bringing the same tech to hpc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    I seem to remember this being done with bulldozer?
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    why all the sesationalism here? amd freely admits to doing the same thing... no reason to give your competators a jump on what you're doing. :shurg:

the fact that nvidia is making a cpu should come as no supprise to anyone here, considering the fact that nvidia has been making mobile cpu's for years.... now they're just bringing the same tech to hpc
    Why the commotion... cause as usual marketing thiks consumers are dump...

At least nvidia could have used there dieshot phot of tegra2.. which is also based on arm... and wold look like this:

And probably wont look much different since denver is ARM...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthShader View Post

Wait till Charlile gets hold of this

Anyway I'm abit suprised they would use a fake shot, I'm pretty excited about the whole development of project Denver and I really hope it takes off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    been lots of years since I played with an AMD and this is just an hour so bear with me..
    My first thoughts on it is that it's fast, it's smoothe and it's fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    Yes, the i7 does have the edge in pure grunt but then again the AMD has that little something I can't quite put my finger on except to use that word 'smoother" and that will get me flamed faster than posting kiddy :banana::banana::banana::banana: on the Christian networks site.
    Main Rig: Phenom II 550 (x4) @3.9Ghz - Gigabyte 6950@6970 - Asus M4A-785D M Pro - Samsung HDs 2x2TB,1x1.5TB,2x1TB - Season X-650 | OpenCL mining rigs: 2x Phenom II 555(x4) - 1xMSI 890FXA-GD70 - 1xGB 990FXA-UD7 (SICK ) - 1xHD6990 - 1x6950@70 - 6x5850 - 2xCooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1kW

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    And probably wont look much different since denver is ARM...
    i thought ARM wasnt going to support 64bit processors anytime soon?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast