Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Xonar Essence "One"

Xtreme Member
    Otherwise ground loops will form, no? As the devices most likely already share a common ground elsewhere.

Add me on Facebook
    -=<#*!! 5OUnD PHr33K !!*#>=-

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not to worry, I am quite content with my Benchmark DAC1 PRE hooked up to my mono-block Gainclones.
    I BLEED TOXIC GREEN

Xtreme Addict
    ^^^^^
    Except that the DAC1 isnt anywhere close to the $300 price point of this ASUS. I posted those links because someone said "Im sure there are plenty of better alternatives for the same price"
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    Shields should only be grounded at one end
    who said to ground the shield? I said to common-ground the devices. You could ground the shield at either end to see what works better for you though.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    who said to ground the shield? I said to common-ground the devices. You could ground the shield at either end to see what works better for you though.

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    solder a shielded wire to the ground leg of the onboard audio device (or usb controller) and string it out along the usb cable to your external sound device and solder it in the appropriate location to eliminate the antenna/ground loop effect

A shield would dump any RF pickup over the external line to the audio ground at the PC end which is fair enough if its sole purpose is to be used as a shield. Why you would also want to connect any receiver side device or element to this shielded ground wire is beyond me - such grounding (if needed) can be taken care of at the common ground of the receiver, keeping things short and avoiding any kind of loop possibilities. Connecting another ground like this is going to create a loop because you now have two grounds from the PC connected to the outboard device (the USB ground that runs with the +5V line and this "new" one - remember there is a ground wire in all USB cables!).

In any case this doesn't solve the problem of pass through ground noise at all - you want to keep the digital and analogue ground at the outboard transceiver side free of PC ground noise. The USB ground is required for initial handshake with most receiving devices - you can either lift that connection after the handshake (if the outboard transceiver device is NOT USB bus powered) or you can use a small transformer to provide isolation when connecting to PC side S/PDIF.

-Raja
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 03-14-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Transformer it is then. Lets all hope for this.

Add me on Facebook

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    A shield would dump any RF pickup over the external line to the audio ground at the PC end which is fair enough if its sole purpose is to be used as a shield. Why you would also want to connect any receiver side device or element to this shielded ground wire is beyond me - such grounding (if needed) can be taken care of at the common ground of the receiver, keeping things short and avoiding any kind of loop possibilities. Connecting another ground like this is going to create a loop because you now have two grounds from the PC connected to the outboard device (the USB ground that runs with the +5V line and this "new" one - remember there is a ground wire in all USB cables!).

In any case this doesn't solve the problem of pass through ground noise at all - you want to keep the digital and analogue ground at the outboard transceiver side free of PC ground noise. The USB ground is required for initial handshake with most receiving devices - you can either lift that connection after the handshake (if the outboard transceiver device is NOT USB bus powered) or you can use a small transformer to provide isolation when connecting to PC side S/PDIF.

-Raja
    The reply was assuming a ground-loop was needing to be eliminated:

Originally Posted by SabreWulf69 View Post
    So I'm guessing noise introduced via the ground in the USB affects the analog circuitry which unless correctly eliminated with transformers would be no better than having a card inside the PC. Too bad there isn't some sort of XLR USB crossbreed that eliminates noise in the ground.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lots of information in this thread but any estimates on price and release date?
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

Xtreme Member
    A bump to this thread, regarding the lastest hype around the net on this recently.

Add me on Facebook

Xtreme Addict
    forgot about this thread posted a while back... anyways, maybe these threads could be merged - LINK?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ^ Agreed. Modz? TIA!

Why would anyone buy this thing when you can have real schiit:

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?mai...&products_id=7

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ^ ot?

Xtreme Addict
    essence one is coming out this year.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesia87 View Post

Apples and oranges? Doesn't have a headphone amp does it?

Add me on Facebook

Xtreme Addict

honestly, i would have to agree...if the Xonar One costs as much as audiophile-grade DACs, i would rather get the latter

Xtreme Addict
    So why would i pick this over a EMU 0404 USB?
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by emoners View Post
    honestly, i would have to agree...if the Xonar One costs as much as audiophile-grade DACs, i would rather get the latter
    Of course....
    Dedicated top-grade DAC + dedicated amp will always trump an AIO, but that's beside the point
    They're diff. beasts, targeting a slightly more budget conscious user etc.
    Can almost guarantee it'll be cheaper than a equivalent specc'd set-up that uses discrete DAC/Amp.

I don't care really, as I'm not that interested in either...
    I was hoping the Essence One would also have 7.1 analog-out & digital out.
    More akin to the Essence ST + H6, but in an external enclosure.

Just gunna have to stick with my essence ST + H6 + discrete (multi-ch) amp.
    Hopefully they'll finally come out with an upgrade for it soon.
    Sick of the two cards, want it all integrated into the one card.
    They've been out for freaking years now, c'mon Asus!
    Last edited by jalyst; 08-19-2011 at 05:49 AM.

Xtreme Mentor

450$ and not inkluding the amp. Not really comparable...
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtremeish
    This might be a worthy opponent to the Asus:
    http://audinst.com/en/bbs/board.php?...HUDmx1&wr_id=5

I bought this some months ago, and have been using it with my AKG 701. Haven't done any major listening/sound evaluation of this as the upgrade from the former Sennheiser headset was absolutely insane.
    The difference between the Audinst and the DAC's on the MB would't be something I would call huge, however the Audinst seems to have a fair amount of extra muscle.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ^ Nice, also has digital-out....
    Wish it did 7.1 analogue-out too, instead of only stereo.
    Then I could ditch my essence ST + H6, & mount it somewhere in my case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreWulf69 View Post
    Use the 'Uni Xonar drivers'. They work great, and fix all those problems ASUS never seemed to have addressed
    I love you man! These drivers fixed my audio quality issue I was having. I was about to sell my damn sound card and buy something else! I was having feedback on 5k-10khz signals about 4k higher than the signal and now it's completely gone. Spent hours looking it up on google and was unable to find any fix.
    Main Comp (Win 7): ASUS R4E, i7-3930k @ 4.9GHz, G.Skill Ripjaw Z 4x4GB @ 2133MHz, ATI 6950flash/6970 Xfire, Custom Watercooling
    3x Asus VW246H eyefinity; Polk Audio Monitor 40's (L,R), CS10 (C), Klipsch KG^4 (S), Sony STR-DA1000ES; all in a custom built desk
    Server: (Ubuntu 11.04) i7-920 @ 3.8GHz, 24GB G.Skill

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, the default drivers blow compared to Uni-Xonar.
    Another happy Uni-Xonar user, donate if you're really impressed.

Xtreme Addict
    The marketing on that product leads me to believe its crap, sorry to say... for example

"featuring 24bit/96kHz supported USB2.0 audio controller and Wolfson’s WM8740 (117dB), the highest quality D/A converter in the market today."

Ummm.. what? WM8741, PCM1704U, ESS Sabre9018 are all better chips then the 8740... so already they're lying

Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    This might be a worthy opponent to the Asus:
    http://audinst.com/en/bbs/board.php?...HUDmx1&wr_id=5

I bought this some months ago, and have been using it with my AKG 701. Haven't done any major listening/sound evaluation of this as the upgrade from the former Sennheiser headset was absolutely insane.
    The difference between the Audinst and the DAC's on the MB would't be something I would call huge, however the Audinst seems to have a fair amount of extra muscle.
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

Xtremeish
    Read a fair bunch of reviews from users having compared to more expensive DAC's. That included with the device being fairly cheap, I thought I would have a go It would be interesting to do some tests to compare this DAC to others though.

I am absolutely sure you will find lies in marketing in every single business on earth, especially in the hifi department, now you might even be able to tell different DAC's apart with your ears, but to tell you a secret, some people also likes carrots!
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast