Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Xonar Essence "One"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ya the whole point of being USB is to get the audio signal digitally out of the computer and away from the interference before being converted into analog.
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
    Ya the whole point of being USB is to get the audio signal digitally out of the computer and away from the interference before being converted into analog.
    QFT

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Member
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Ooh, so it's worthwhile me snagging one of these. I'm using Shure SE535s, I even have custom moulded sleeves for them they're quite good, so they do pick up any noise.

For Sale : Xonar Essence STX!

Xtreme Member
    im not sure why everyone is raving over this unless it is substancially better then their xonar essence STX, i have one and i absoloutley LOVE it and has built in-shielded headphone amp to drive up to 600ohm headphones as well. you can even upgrade the opamps on it as well. to me this is just something else that would clutter my desk. /shrug
    CM Stacker 830 Classified Scheme *In Progress*
    Antec TPQ-1000
    i7 950
    OCZ Reaper 3x2gb 1066 7-8-8
    Crucial C300 128gb
    HD5850
    Asus Xonar Essence STX

Xtreme Member
    Nasty comment after this. This is exactly right. As an 'Audiophile Reference' card, then having it external to the computer would be even more 'Audiophile Reference'. A good audio product is the sum of many small things and not so small things all added together I can't remember where I read, but this guy that was a sound engineer / electronics guru tried an experiment and tried building himself a media PC with much difficulty. He said the real big challenge was a lot of compromise, and customization as the internal PC environment is very less than ideal for high-end sound source equipment. The shield on the original ST/STX is a testament to this.

Add me on Facebook
    -=<#*!! 5OUnD PHr33K !!*#>=-

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ummm yeah, no thanks. I will be taking my $300 to some place else. I'm sure many other DACs will beat this Asus. It looks like crap TBH and I'm always a bit hesitant when a company randomly branches off into audio products...
    I BLEED TOXIC GREEN

Lafayette, People's Republic of New Jersystan
    So if I'm reading this correctly, this is effectively an external sound card?
    Quote Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
    Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberspyder View Post
    Ummm yeah, no thanks. I will be taking my $300 to some place else. I'm sure many other DACs will beat this Asus.
    http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphon.../NFB11.1EN.htm
    http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphon.../SparrowEN.htm
    http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/FUN/FUNEN.htm
    Last edited by EniGmA1987; 03-10-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToad View Post
    Auzentech prelude:
    SNIP... (long rant)
    You sure had some bad luck with those creative cards. But it sounds to me like your systems didn't have drivers installed in proper order, causing components to be misidentified, thus installing drivers which may have said "Creative X-Fi", but could have been for one of many other creative cards that are distinctly different. (xtreme music, platinum, fatality, and even the brand new Titanium HD all say "Creative X-Fi in device manager even though they are about as similar as a Pentium 4 D and an i7.

I had pretty much zero issues with my former X-Fi platinum on XP, Vista, and 7... as well as AMD, Intel, and nVidia chipset based motherboards.

My current X-Fi Titanium HD is without question the best sounding card I've heard in a PC. Even better than my a system I just built for a Dj friend of mine who has an M-Audio Delta 1010LT for his recording/remixing and midi-production work. And i'm not knocking the M-Audio card one bit. The thing is amazing.

And lastly, the only delay i've had with either X-Fi card i've owned was a quck stall for about a second while switching mods. I've had studio monitors hooked up to a mixer w/turntables and they were perfectly in sync with the recorded AND converted to DTS 5.1 optical output playing through a home theater system. I was quite amazed.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    Then you still have to contest with the massive amount of noise a PC puts into the electrical circuit it is plugged into as well as the same pollution that just as easily travels right up a USB cable and into the breakout box. You'd do just as well by saving the money and buying a proper power conditioner like a Panamax 4300 and by keeping your DAC/headphone amp on a separate circuit and send it ONLY a digital signal via Toslink, etc.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thats one of those audiophile myths... look at the RMAA noise graphs for the X-Fi Titanium HD, you would struggle to get that with most top end external dacs

http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound-...um-hd-review/6
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Xtreme Member
    There's always something like this --> http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/specif...Specifications

Add me on Facebook

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by oohms View Post
    Thats one of those audiophile myths... look at the RMAA noise graphs for the X-Fi Titanium HD, you would struggle to get that with most top end external dacs

http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound-...um-hd-review/6
    The SNR with an external DAC is no more difficult than it is with an internal sound card. If anything the internal soundcard requires more copius attention to layout and shielding due to the high levels of emi and rfi in computer cases. Put simply if a SNR of -120db~-130db is possible in a case it is certainly possible in an external solution if attention is paid to detail

The noise transmission from the USB bus to the DAC can be broken by a transformer at the DAC USB input side (doubt ASUS have done that here, though).
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 03-11-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    The SNR with an external DAC is no more difficult than it is with an internal sound card. If anything the internal soundcard requires more copius attention to layout and shielding due to the high levels of emi and rfi in computer cases. Put simply if a SNR of -120db~-130db is possible in a case it is certainly possible in an external solution if attention is paid to detail

The noise transmission from the USB bus to the DAC can be broken by a transformer at the DAC USB input side (doubt ASUS have done that here, though).
    Alternative to minimize interference is to use a different connection; Toslink is the best at isolation.It'd make far more sense to do one test on "best case" and another on "worst case" scenarios. I'm still wanting for 3rd party testing to compare this DAC/HPAmp combo to others. External DACs done properly should be head-and-shoulders better than internal sound cards.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Member
    But surely this would only be a problem if the "noise" is somehow transmitted electrically to the output, right? It doesn't follow the actual content of the signal, and I'm wondering if it's possible for it to go through the actual DAC....
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    But surely this would only be a problem if the "noise" is somehow transmitted electrically to the output, right? It doesn't follow the actual content of the signal, and I'm wondering if it's possible for it to go through the actual DAC....
    I believe they are referring more to interference over the grounding of the USB cable between the components and dealing with the ever annoying ground loops etc.
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

Xtreme Enthusiast

There really isn't much emi/rfi in a computer case at audible frequencies. You can quite easily run unshielded audio cable through the inside of the case, and do an RMAA test and you won't see the difference.

The wierd sounds you get with some onboard soundcards (squealing when the mouse is moving etc) is caused by bad power supply decoupling and sometimes ground loops. (eg some of the antec front panel sound headers were also grounded causing a ground loop) It is quite easy to design audio equipment which does not do this.
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Xtreme Member
    In ancient computers, I used to get squeeling sounds from the speakers every time the hard drive would access or sometimes even when I would move the mouse, what was this caused from?

Add me on Facebook

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by oohms View Post
    There really isn't much emi/rfi in a computer case at audible frequencies. You can quite easily run unshielded audio cable through the inside of the case, and do an RMAA test and you won't see the difference.

The wierd sounds you get with some onboard soundcards (squealing when the mouse is moving etc) is caused by bad power supply decoupling and sometimes ground loops. (eg some of the antec front panel sound headers were also grounded causing a ground loop) It is quite easy to design audio equipment which does not do this.
    The point was it easier to get lower noise levels outside a case rather than inside one. Read what I said again properly - the external environment makes it easier - it's not impossible to do quiet inside a case but its easier doing it outside. Noise anywhere around digital sampling frequency will have an impact on jitter and can also cause issues with high bandwidth opamps - well outside 20KHz, you have to shield to get the best out of them, going the external route gives you more layout and freedom period.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 03-12-2011 at 12:50 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    It's transmitted along the ground, the transformer provides galvanic isolation at the receiving end. The USB signals are differential so CMRR comes into play.

Xtreme Member
    So I'm guessing noise introduced via the ground in the USB affects the analog circuitry which unless correctly eliminated with transformers would be no better than having a card inside the PC. Too bad there isn't some sort of XLR USB crossbreed that eliminates noise in the ground.

Add me on Facebook

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreWulf69 View Post
    So I'm guessing noise introduced via the ground in the USB affects the analog circuitry which unless correctly eliminated with transformers would be no better than having a card inside the PC. Too bad there isn't some sort of XLR USB crossbreed that eliminates noise in the ground.
    Depends, the external solution isn't going to be competing to the same extent against the hf noise in a PC case (depends on a case by case basis). Without seeing the circuitry and what kind of filtering and regulation has been employed it's a difficult call. It's just that some things are easier to do than others depending upon which route is taken.

Xtreme Member
    True, seems we'll have to wait and keep an eye out for any more news on this then.

Add me on Facebook

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreWulf69 View Post
    solder a shielded wire to the ground leg of the onboard audio device (or usb controller) and string it out along the usb cable to your external sound device and solder it in the appropriate location to eliminate the antenna/ground loop effect

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    solder a shielded wire to the ground leg of the onboard audio device (or usb controller) and string it out along the usb cable to your external sound device and solder it in the appropriate location to eliminate the antenna/ground loop effect
    Shields should only be grounded at one end

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast