Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Xonar Essence "One"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
    From what I've read, the default USB drivers only do up to 96Khz. If you make custom drivers, you can have USB do higher Khz.

I'm not talking about just CD quality music. But also SACD and games that can output higher than 44.1/96Khz.
    What games are 96K? I'm curious because I've never ran into any.

And also how exactly do you play an SACD (DSD) on a computer?

I'm really curious as to what you need even 96K for on a computer... You can count 24/96 music and movie tracks on two hands.

Intel Core i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB DDR3-1600 | Asus GTX 670 directCU TOP | Intel 320 120GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Enermax Revolution 1050W | Silverstone TJ08-E | Dell UltraSharp U2711

Xtreme Addict
    From what I've read, the default USB drivers only do up to 96Khz. If you make custom drivers, you can have USB do higher Khz.
    You actually need custom drivers for anything over 44.1, that's why most USB->SPDIF converting devices are limited. There are quite a few new ones that can do up to 192 easily, such as my M2Tech Hiface.

I'm not talking about just CD quality music. But also SACD and games that can output higher than 44.1/96Khz.
    SACD on computer eh? It's not even PCM, and most DACs that you can find don't even support DSD. Might be able to play the CD-Quality compatibility layer on a PC but that's about it. I've seen some tricks for ripping the DSD to PCM that involve a PS3 and some converting hardware, but never seen a drive that can read the DSD data from an SACD.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG87 View Post
    I'm really curious as to what you need even 96K for on a computer... You can count 24/96 music and movie tracks on two hands.
    I've actually got quite a bit of 24/96 content (maybe 1000 tracks or so) from Vinyl rips and DVD-A disks. It's out there, but definitely not common. Heck, and Ipod can't even play it without down-converting it. I believe movies do generally have 96k and 192k streams though, especially nowadays.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 03-09-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

I am Xtreme
    How about damn near all blurays w/ a TrueHD or DTS HD Master track?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    How about damn near all blurays w/ a TrueHD or DTS HD Master track?
    Rofl, you clearly don't tinker much with Blurays. They are almost all 16/48K, with a few being 24/48K. 24/96K is a rarity.

Intel Core i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB DDR3-1600 | Asus GTX 670 directCU TOP | Intel 320 120GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Enermax Revolution 1050W | Silverstone TJ08-E | Dell UltraSharp U2711

Xtreme Member
    A little bit of useful information --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=760714

I used to use 24/96 in the studio all the time for music production in Pro Tools, and sample capturing.

SACD can be ISO'd and read using KMPlayer.

Upsampling, noise shaping and dithering all help when using software EQ's.

Regarding Xonar drivers, try the 'Uni Xonar' drivers, they work great for me, and reduce latency.

For more general audio related reading, visit some of the links here --> General Audio Guides, Tips and Interesting Information @ NRNL
    Last edited by SabreWulf69; 03-09-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Add me on Facebook
    -=<#*!! 5OUnD PHr33K !!*#>=-

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreWulf69 View Post
    A little bit of useful information --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=760714

I used to use 24/96 in the studio all the time for music production in Pro Tools, and sample capturing.

SACD can be ISO'd and read using KMPlayer.

Upsampling, noise shaping and dithering all help when using software EQ's.

Regarding Xonar drivers, try the 'Uni Xonar' drivers, they work great for me, and reduce latency.
    Agreed. The Uni Xonar drivers worked good for me too (that's the third party I mentioned in my post). They reduced the latency to acceptable levels and did away with other niggles
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtremeish
    There should be tubes sticking out of it. :p

I wonder, is it able to drive power amps from the XLR/RCA contacts?
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Member
    Should be able to do this as one of it's most basic functions, I would hope.

Add me on Facebook

Xtreme Member
    Line out: RCA & XLR, unlike ST/STX, line out doesn’t share thesame DAC with headphone out. (XLR is balanced I/O and RCA is unbalanced)
    Any news as to what DAC is powering these then?

Add me on Facebook

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Any news as to what DAC is powering these then?
    Its listed in the photo of the display card. I am not sure of the quality of that DAC. Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment.
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

Xtreme Addict
    Yes but you realize that 99% of content is still at 44.1K and 48K right? Upsampling to 192K doesn't do anything except tamper with the source.
    the dacs work better when accepting the 192k stuff, so you get a net gain in audio quality. and since it's processing in 32 bit, it lessens the damage of messing with the source.
    but it does have the option for bit perfect, which appears to just mean no resampling.

for those using mpc hc, you can get an audio renderer called reclock to do something similiar in software.

Rofl, you clearly don't tinker much with Blurays. They are almost all 16/48K, with a few being 24/48K. 24/96K is a rarity.
    I would say most are 24/48k lossless audio actually. but for blurays, most will be better with just a home theater receiver since you will be better off with a hardware dts-hd decoder and bitstreaming the audio data to it over hdmi.
    Last edited by grimREEFER; 03-09-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Member
    How do you know? (Not to be a jerk, I'm actually curious where you see this.... on the cover? reading online?)
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    How do you know? (Not to be a jerk, I'm actually curious where you see this.... on the cover? reading online?)
    well, alot of receivers can tell you the bit depth and the sampling frequency.

if you are using a computer, you can run a program called bdinfo to get all the specs of the disc.

i think the ps3 also reports the audio on the disc, im not sure.
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grimREEFER View Post
    the dacs work better when accepting the 192k stuff, so you get a net gain in audio quality. and since it's processing in 32 bit, it lessens the damage of messing with the source.
    but it does have the option for bit perfect, which appears to just mean no resampling.

for those using mpc hc, you can get an audio renderer called reclock to do something similiar in software.

I would say most are 24/48k lossless audio actually. but for blurays, most will be better with just a home theater receiver since you will be better off with a hardware dts-hd decoder and bitstreaming the audio data to it over hdmi.

Actually you're right, most are 24/48K. Just looked through a few of my remuxes. Point is though it's still 48K

Xtreme Member
    Its listed in the photo of the display card. I am not sure of the quality of that DAC. Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment.
    It lists only one DAC, where the information provided indicates there would be 2 - one for the Headphone Amp and another for both the RCA and XLR outputs.

Add me on Facebook

Xtreme Addict
    I know its not part of a DAC but it would be nice if it had a Microphone port just so you can dont have to use onboard soundcard for just microphone or have a usb microphone.
    Desktop I5-3570k, 8GB Ram, GTX 560, Silverstone TJ08-E, Crucial M4 128GB, 750W Silver Power, ASUS P8Z77-M
    Laptop ThinkPad W520 2720QM /2 x 4 GB ram / Quadro 1000M / Crucial M4 128GB + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery
    Laptop 2 New Macbook Pro Retina / i7 QuadCore / 650 GT / 16GB Ram / 512 GB SSD
    Server: Athlon II X4 640, ASROCK K10N78, 8GB Ram, LSI MegaRaid 8 port, 64GB Vertex 1, 5 x 1 TB WD Raid6, 3 x 3TB Seagate Raid5

Xtreme Addict
    ASUS, great sound, crappy drivers. Had Xonar Essence STX and even though sound was awesome i hated their fragile drivers. And the GX thingie worked like 1/3 of the time and other 2/3's it caused crappy crashes, sound issues etc. Also i prefer 3D sound positioning on X-Fi cards more. It's just more precise.

Only thing that is interesting for me here is the 32bit upsampling. I wonder what kind of post processing they use on this thing...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Member
    Use the 'Uni Xonar drivers'. They work great, and fix all those problems ASUS never seemed to have addressed

Add me on Facebook

Xtreme Member
    Like someone said before me.

I'm new at these things. If one wanted to use a microphone with this, they would have to either get a USB one or use the onboard card?

Use this and the onboard at the same time?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've never had any issues with Asus STX drivers.

As for microphone, yes you would need to use a USB or build-in MB sound card.
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

Quote Originally Posted by G3XC View Post
    Like someone said before me.

I'm new at these things. If one wanted to use a microphone with this, they would have to either get a USB one or use the onboard card?

Use this and the onboard at the same time?
    i would assume that u would use onboard for all audio, but u rout the out through the SPDIF onboard into this box and use it as a receiver.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I am Xtreme
    Use the 'Uni Xonar drivers'. They work great, and fix all those problems ASUS never seemed to have addressed
    First I have heard of this but I will definitely give it a try.

Xtreme Cruncher
    As if any PC audio playback system needs to use a sample rate above 44.1k...

Xtreme Member
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Erm. Uh. This plugs into a USB slot, and it's not a disaster emare? Is USB capable of doing sound cards to any degree... at the moment I've got a Xonar Essence STX, I love the sound quality over the stuff I had before, but there's a little hiss on the line when there's no sound. I'm using decent earphones though so I'm perhaps hearing what other people may not. Is there going to be less noise with a USB thing rather than a PCIe card? I'm afraid I just found out what the best card was and bought it, I'm not an expert.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast