Thread: Am I on the right track?

Xtreme Member

Am I on the right track?

This can be a discussion thread for anything to do with TECS. I would enjoy the conjecture..

PSU For 2# 226 watt recs? Or whatever I can find that seems big enough.. http://wattsupply.com/s.nl/it.A/id.562/.f I would probably select the 15v option, The price isn't bad either..

I guess I'd better go back and look at more tecs before deciding,,
    Last edited by Clay; 03-08-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Still overclocking and water cooling. Old stuff mostly... Still buyin' new stuff for my huge monster case though..(Project on hold til' further notice.or til' I suddenly see a fair increase in income. (Even then the gunshows do tend to grab me!!!) But really no new rig to speak of. Currently C2D E8400 on H2O Giga' p43t W/ decent pair o' ddr3 sticks stuffed in a old aluminium coolermaster preatorian case with a shrouded PA140.3 hangin' out of the side.Needs some bigger fans to keep up with this yuma heat though.. TX850. GTX460.Old yellow 1/2" tygon tubing adds some petina to the dear old thing. (As if it needed any.)Really nuthin' to call home about here at least... LOL..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    should be about right

Xtreme Member
    Thanks Ultrasonic. Okay I'll very probably order one of those.. Are you still making Tec-blocks? If sooo.. Ummm... Err...I guess We'll see how some of these other things go.. But I'm pretty sure I'll need one of those too. For a high performance tec block? You are "The Man" to talk to.. Right now I'm awaiting a reply from the for sale forum concerning a second PA 120.3. I'm gonna' need 2# with 25mm fan spacing.. I also ordered a Mountain Mods Extended Ascension under the pretense I was going to cool with tecs.. .(And 2# Pa's) And it does look like I'm heading in that direction. First I need a second PA. Then I think I'll order a second 570. Though for me SLI does seem kinda' redundant..Then the Meanwell. Then I'll have ask you. If you have any blocks you are tired of. Or if you are itching to build a new block. Or?? But I guess the final concept is to wait and see how things go. I never met a plan I ever liked. Simply because I never met a plan that ever worked. LOL.. But at anyrate I think what's happening here is I'll build the cooling first. As I'll probably hold out for a Bulldozer.
    The computer's primary purpose is video conversion. And hopefully some editing. I also game some..It will also be overclocked 24/7 to the very edge of sanity.(of course)
    Though I'm getting lazy in my old age..

Best to you.. And thank you again.

P.S. My case will be here by tomorrow night. I'll post some pics in the case thread forum,as a light review of sorts. Though appearance the finished product will be very very very plain.. And it could take some time to finish.
    Last edited by Clay; 03-09-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: I like to edit...
    Still overclocking and water cooling. Old stuff mostly... Still buyin' new stuff for my huge monster case though..(Project on hold til' further notice.or til' I suddenly see a fair increase in income. (Even then the gunshows do tend to grab me!!!) But really no new rig to speak of. Currently C2D E8400 on H2O Giga' p43t W/ decent pair o' ddr3 sticks stuffed in a old aluminium coolermaster preatorian case with a shrouded PA140.3 hangin' out of the side.Needs some bigger fans to keep up with this yuma heat though.. TX850. GTX460.Old yellow 1/2" tygon tubing adds some petina to the dear old thing. (As if it needed any.)Really nuthin' to call home about here at least... LOL..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah i still make water blocks. though im having So many problems with reliability that i may have to give it up.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    yeah i still make water blocks. though im having So many problems with reliability that i may have to give it up.
    I hope you don't have to... What's the trouble? The top's? Maybe a solid copper top? I'm sure you'll figure something out...

I got my case the other day. Hopefully I'll post pics up somewhere around here pretty soon.. This is not going to be pretty!! LOL...
    Last edited by Clay; 03-14-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Well the plan was simple. One of these cases and stuff two PA120.3's in the front. And cool the processor with a big tec or two. But since mountain mods is only shipping cases with 15mm front fan spacing. The plans have changed. Now in order to mount my pa's,I need one of these.

http://www.mountainmods.com/pedestal-24-p-492.html

I'll order this with the front and rear cut for triples with the 25mm fan spacing. Both sides will drilled for 15mm quad rads. And now I'm up to one (or 2#) of these.
    http://wattsupply.com/s.nl/it.A/id.569/.f There is plenty of room for a good sized chiller too.

Here's a pic. Of it so far.(Nuthin' yet really I just felt like wasting some bandwidth)
    http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/l...cture052-1.jpg

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You cooling a AMD or Intel ?

Xtreme Member
    It will be an AMD. I am waiting til' after June to see what the new core is going to be like. Before I order a new board an processor.
    So I have a coupla' months to get the cooling laid out.

Addendum to an earlier post. The quad drilled sides are for airflow.
    Last edited by Clay; 03-15-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ok i have one of the 6 times amds it's good. I just re done the AMD mounting hardware for my dual block it works much better now

Xtreme Member
    ok i have one of the 6 times amds it's good. I just re done the AMD mounting hardware for my dual block it works much better now
    YES!!! I am very interested in that.. I would like to know what you are using for rads,pumps.power,pelts,voltages,ect. And what kind of results you are getting.
    Since I am at the point of building the loop now. I may add a 120.4(Or 2#) to the mess. 10x(to 14) 88-100cfm fans for the loop. 14 cores-fans oughta' cool that lil' critter off. Not to mention clean the rug under the computer.When I cut some holes in the floor for the air to come in. LOL! But for today I need to go to the bank so I can order that case extension. Then the hunt is on for a proper thermochill shroud for the second pa120.3.The PA's were designed for a shroud.

So for the moment concentrating on my loop is where I'm at.
    Last edited by Clay; 03-17-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Must edit got off track.

What kind of issues are you having?

Chasing After Diety
    lol ultra u should work on PWM controllers so we can cut the power draw on TEC's and make them more useful. :P

if you had a nice one... hell, id get it off you in a heart beat.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    oh i have different issues all the time . the latest issue is i blew up 2 steps . and for some unrelated reason the mill just stops on very long jobs .. i dont know ..

i finalised my NEW PWM booster ages ago but i've never had the mill hold together long enough to actually pay for the proof of concept.

I would also like to release the LOW cost versions of my blocks too but still no money

Xtreme Member

I'm still pretending I can do this..

I'm still building as if I can afford to. I think I can. But I went way over budget on the case,this past month.But that's the only way that could possibly go. Big with lotsa' elbow room.. I can really only spend 2-$400 per month. And so it's going to take awhile just to build the loop.. And I'm still not yet 100% committed to tecs as of yet.
    Low cost block? It's not the price of your block that's the concern. Your blocks are lovely and very much priced to go. In fact I nearly ordered a bare block.(No Tecs) Before I ordered the pedestal. It's the cost of the high end tec modules that seem somewhat out of hand. But if it going to be done. That's the way it'll be.. I still need a shroud for a one of my pa120.3's with the 25mm spacing and a gasket. This coming friday night I'll assemble the Pedestal 24.. And sometime week after next I'll order another 3-core rad for my beloved 939. To free up the other PA.. Probably a TA120.3 as I already have a shroud for 1 of those.. But maybe not..Yeah I goofed and believed the advertising.. And I hoped beyond hope,that the shroud in the picture was the 1 being shipped.. WTF was I thinking!!!???
    Last edited by Clay; 03-23-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Must Edit!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah i realise the TEC's may seem expensive but when i run thought the costs of the 285's it adds up fast

1 Because i dont buy a lot i get hit with low volume costs
    2 I have to pay for postage and handling to get them to NZ
    3 I Get charged extra for paying by paypal
    4 I get hit with exchange rate charges
    5 once here i have to pay for sealant then seal them
    6 i have to pay for TIM for both sides of the TEC's
    7 Oh some TEC's dont work when they get here or are blew my standard so have to be binned

So the costs add up very fast for me

Xtreme Member
    I knew there were good reasons for it..

yeah i realise the TEC's may seem expensive but when i run thought the costs of the 285's it adds up fast

1 Because i dont buy a lot i get hit with low volume costs
    2 I have to pay for postage and handling to get them to NZ
    3 I Get charged extra for paying by paypal
    4 I get hit with exchange rate charges
    5 once here i have to pay for sealant then seal them
    6 i have to pay for TIM for both sides of the TEC's
    7 Oh some TEC's dont work when they get here or are blew my standard so have to be binned

So the costs add up very fast for me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here's my latest block
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xtreme Member
    Looks like my project is grinding to a halt... One of my older rigs bloated a cap. So newer platform for that old case. It's 24/7 server of sorts that should overclock some and game okay though. But the "Bat-Computer" project such as it is.. Has stalled save finding a shroud for a "Classic"(25mm) PA120.3. ````And maybe a fan or two here and there...

Maybe if I start a thread in the water-cooling section.
    Last edited by Clay; 03-28-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: I like to edit....

Xtreme Member
    Okay. That shroud will be here friday. Ordered 9# YL 88's. And 9# plain wire fan grills. So it's still moving abet slow though....

Xtreme Member

Okay I'm back..

Okay I'm back.. An update for anyone interested. My little emergency back-up gaming computer set me back on this project more than I want to think about.. But now it "IS" worthy... I ordered a PA 140.3 for "Old Reliable" in my sig. Finally freeing up the other pa120.3 for the big empty box that propose to cool with tec's. Now I need to add a "PA120.4" (Or 2#)w/shroud(s)or another 140.3 and finding a shroud would be as hard as finding the one I was lucky to find here at XS. (Thank you Utnorris..) What to do!! Humm... Does anyone know if Thermochill left enough meat on the TA's that I could drill the gussets out for g3/8 fitting'?