Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EK Watercooling kits?

Xtreme Member

EK Watercooling kits?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12...html?tl=g30c83
    Yes I know why a kit? Well I'm on a budget and I have to admit pretty scared to anything like this without an instruction booklet. How does this kit do in terms of price to performance?

Xtreme Guru
    I might be wrong, but you can check out also XSPC Rasa 750 kits. IIRC they were a tad cheaper, if you are looking for price/performancy foremost.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    I might be wrong, but you can check out also XSPC Rasa 750 kits. IIRC they were a tad cheaper, if you are looking for price/performancy foremost.
    I was thinking of spending $200-300 since this Corsair A70 isn't cutting it out and I'm tired of big bulky air cooler.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I feel you bro,

I went watercooling Kit the first 2 times I watercooled.

Problem was it was a huge mistake both times. I was never satisfied with what I had, I kept having to switch things out.
    While I am like that slightly

I Have a 40 year old car with a brand new engine, I like to fix things up and change em around.

But when it comes to a watercooling kit, it's almost always a waste of money.

Back way when I got mine they all had aluminum parts, copper parts, nickel plalted this, gold plated that. and it was all bs.

Now you actually have some kits that aren't complete junk.

CPU only systems like the XSPC Rasa kit. for the money you can't beat a CPU only kit.

cept.. the pump kinda sucks(quiet tho & will do what it's designed to do, cool a cpu).. and the RS isn't made for really quiet fans.. albeit almost the same as a Swiftech MRC 'quiet power'

Will you be disapointed with the EK kit? most likely no. The Heralded Top performer within a fraction of a Degree C, great looking ... everything. Will you wish you had some other parts? possibly.

You need a
    Cpu block
    enough tubing
    strong enough pump ( hard to get a bad one now a days, ddc, d5, whatever ek uses :P all good )
    radiator enough to dissipate your heat with the fin count for the speed of fans you want to use. ( loud = high fins per inch, quiet = low fpi + more radiator )
    Barbs & Clamps or Compression fittings
    reservoirs are always nice
    and fans.

and wether you get a kit or not, get a tubing cutter. Screw scissors.
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aznsniper911 View Post
    Yes I know why a kit? Well I'm on a budget and I have to admit pretty scared to anything like this without an instruction booklet. How does this kit do in terms of price to performance?
    Looking at other companies that offer complete kits, EK's is one of best IMO.
    If you calculate overall costs of EK content it gets considerably cheaper when you buy the whole kit.
    It has great CPU block, powerfull pump (so you can get system upgraded later),
    fairly well performed radiator, nice plated fittings,...
    Cmndt. Eric Lassard: What is the most frustrating thing about police work?
    Tackleberry: Not being able to carry hand grenades, sir.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It really is a good kit, and the price is good, too. The only thing you may want to change is the fans, but other than that, every component is very solid.

Xtreme Member
    Sounds like almost a done deal. How well would it compare to a high end air cooler?

Xtreme Member
    Some of the EK kits consist of some really good components, some of which are the best parts you CAN get (like the Supreme HF). The pump is more than adequate (DCP 4.0)...actually, it's fairly good value for money.

Don't let the "kit" stigma scare you off. Not all kits are crap

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by aznsniper911 View Post
    For only $10 more you get the H20-320 Edge kit. (on sale at www.crazypc.com)
    Similar rad, and water-block perf wise, but 100% better pump. and 100% easier to install too, with professional install guide, and only 2 parts to actually install.

just my 2 cts.
    CEO Swiftech

I am Xtreme
    As far as kits go, it's not bad. I do have to question the fluid though...anyone remember a certain someone canceling their warranty if you used an "aggressive fluid"?

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Similar rad, and water-block perf wise, but 100% better pump. and 100% easier to install too, with professional install guide, and only 2 parts to actually install.

just my 2 cts.
    +1

I would have saved you the shameless plug Gabe but my I-net crapped out on me when I was in earlier in the day.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member

just my 2 cts.
    But my concern is actually performance. $10 is really nothing but which unit would give me better temperatures?

Admin
    Agree with Gabe and WL....the MCR Edge kits are unbeatable in terms of installation and would be my pick for a first-timer.

It has the best CPU block mounting system, no reservoir or pump to install anywhere, just two tubes to route. EK kit doesn't even compare in that sense (assembling the CPU mounting probably takes just as much time/effort as doing the whole Swiftech kit). Performance is probably even between the Swiftech Edge and the EK HF kits; Edge is definitely ahead of the EK LT kits. I believe the Swiftech pump is a topless MCP35X and therefore PWM controllable as well (via motherboard header), so if you want to quiet down the pump (not that it's loud), that's extremely easy and effective. With the EK systems, you have to undervolt the pump, which isn't nearly as easy or reliable or effective.

Alternatively, an XSPC RSxx0 750 kit would be a much lower cost option (and you could get Gentle Typhoon fans and still be way under cost of the EK/SW options) with roughly the same ease-of-installation and usability as the EK kits. Performance would probably be somewhere between the EK HF and LT kits.

Between the EK HF, Swiftech Edge, and XSPC RSxx0 750 kits, I don't think there's a way to go wrong, but I'd lean toward the Swiftech Edge for a first-timer. I'm not a fan of the EK LT or XSPC RX kits, however. EK LT isn't that much cheaper than the HF kit but there are some pretty noticeable downgrades. Conversely, going to an RX rad from an RS is probably not much of an improvement except at very low fan speeds, but the price is much higher.

Xtreme Member
    All this talk of liquid cooling, I almost forgot that I need a big case for a 120mmx3 rad....any suggestions?

Xtreme Guru
    800D. For 3x120 no moding required.

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    800D. For 3x120 no moding required.
    depends on what you like

HAF 932
    800D
    there are several others

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The Swiftech kit includes a "rad box" that will allow you to install it externally on most cases. Take a look at Swiftech's website to see how it works.

Xtreme Addict

just my 2 cts.
    I really thought that forums are places to discuss topics with arguments. I guess I was wrong. And I'm disappointed of those people who seem to be a "water cooling professionals".
    Regarding Gabe's claims that their pump is 100% better then EKWB's, I would like to take this opportunity and ask him to elaborate his claims. You can see independent comparative test here
    http://martinsliquidlab.i4memory.com...mp-Review.html
    Just the end quote:
    I'm really impressed with this pump for several reasons. The smaller sibling (CPX-1) has a strong reputation for being one of the quietest pumps around, and it's nice to see this larger and more powerful big brother pump follow suit. It's very similar in pumping power to that of the Laing DDC 3.2, but it does so with less power consumption/heat dump and it also already comes with G1/4 barbs. The DDCs and D5 are also excellent pumps, and now we have another one to choose from with similar excellent performance. This is an excellent all around pump for most water cooling systems. Danger Den tells me this pump will retail for around $54.95, so it's at an extremely competetive price point and would cost less than both the Laing D5 and the Laing DDC 3.2. Good news for us!! And that how other feedbacks look like.

Regarding instalation I would say that products are for different groups of PC users. One who likes technical project, design and sophistication will probably choose EKWB. And manual to that is, by our users comments, very decent.

And finally, regarding performance, I would say that both systems performance, from EKWB and Swiftech are on comparable levels.

Now, I would really like to see arguments to claims…
    Quote Originally Posted by creidiki
    EKs are like waterblock pr0n

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy_EK View Post
    I really thought that forums are places to discuss topics with arguments. I guess I was wrong. And I'm disappointed of those people who seem to be a "water cooling professionals".
    Eddy, I am sorry to read that you are "disappointed", and frankly I have neither the time nor the inclination to research all the posts throughout these forums, where you have plugged your own company or products, but I am pretty sure it is dozens of them, and I distinctly recall this to also include some posts that had Swiftech products as a topic by the way. So please tune down on the posturing. [Edit: Crazy PC is closing due to personal reasons - helping him to sell his inventory by pointing out the deals available is help to a long time friend, as well a good advice to a consummer on a tight budget]

As to quoting pumps reviews, I would also refer you to Martin's last review of the MCP35X here: http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/02/...35x-reservoir/ or that of Skinnee there: http://skinneelabs.com/swiftech-mcp35x/ - [Edit, as well as: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=262536] - end Edit]
    Last edited by gabe; 03-11-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    CEO Swiftech

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by bundymania View Post
    Donīt forget mine -> linked in signature

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=262536

BTW: Package arrived, everything ok !
    sorry - I updated my post
    CEO Swiftech

oh yea the mcp 35x is really cheap in comparison to ek's pump isn't it?
    Last edited by TJ TRICHEESE; 03-11-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Xtreme Member
    In the end the kits have a similar level of performance.

The ek kit, has the added benefit of compression fittings, and yes it will probably be more difficult to install.

And although the mcp35x is a better performing pump, if you adjust both pumps to have similar levels of noise, I doubt the difference would prove significant on what are now both low flow blocks (due to swiftech redesign).

I wish that a kit like this was available when I first started water cooling close to a decade ago, and it's a significant step up from the corsair h50/60/70.

Think about how simple watercooling has become, there are plenty of cases that come from the factory with the ability to mount a triple radiator.
    Throw in a pair of universal gpu blocks, uni-sink if necessary, and you have some impressive gear for not very much money.

It's a good time to get into this hobby thanks to companies like swiftech, ek, and xspc.

Xtreme Member
    For 150 the rasa 360 kit is a great deal.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ TRICHEESE View Post
    oh yea the mcp 35x is really cheap in comparison to ek's pump isn't it?
    Thanks for the un-baited trollery. The kits are $10 dollars different and comes with the better pump. Yes, it's just a sale, but that's all gabe was trying to point out. RIGHT NOW he can get the better price / performance. 3x120 and a mcp 35x? yes that is cheap in comparison.
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Then it is a good deal isn't it? The conversation was on pumps earlier, not the full kits hence I was talking about pumps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast