Thread: Are my CPU's temps. too high?

Xtreme Member

Are my CPU's temps. too high?

System is in my sig.. I recently switched my board out for a new B3 version. When I removed my H70, I had to clean off the stock thermal compound (it supposedly had some pretty good Shin-Etsu). I used Arcitc Silver ArctiClean 1 & 2 then 100% isopropyl alcohol to clean off the H70 and the CPU. When I put the H70 back on, I used Arctic Cooling MX4.

My CPU (all cores / threads) have been at 100% utilization now for 1.5 hours. The ambient temp. in the room my PC is in is ~25C.

AIDA64 is showing these temps. right now:
    Core 1: 52C
    Core 2: 53C
    Core 3: 58C
    Core 4: 52C

Are these temps. too high?
    Last edited by Synomenon; 03-16-2011 at 11:35 PM.

of the Strawhat crew.
    Are you using the two fans that come with it at full speed? You overclocked?
    Also, what are you using to load the cpu?

Sorry, the more info the better.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Member
    I replaced the H70's stock fans with Enermax Clusters so the radiator has two fans (one 120mm Enermax Cluster on each side). Both fans are running at full speed and are exhausting air out of the case (both are blowing the same direction).

The only thing I have to load the CPU is BOINC (the distributed computing program for various projects). I'm not overclocking. Just running at stock speed and have Turbo Boost enabled.

of the Strawhat crew.
    I've never owned one of the newer chips so I'm not sure on the heat output of them. I'd guess that those temps sound about right.

You could try flipping your fans to suck in cool air from the outside if you have top exhaust fans.

If not, I believe those temps are well in the safe operating zone for that cpu.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Addict
    Before you worry about temps, download and use RealTemp for Sandy Bridge

Anything under 80C fully loaded is fine.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Member
    Well....... Like "Tool" said: You really don't want to worry too much about temps. Not just because we really don't know what they are. But because to do so,is very addictive. And the progression of this addiction goes from expensive. To very expensive.. To xtremely expensive. (Sorry for preaching to the choir..)
    And like "GameKiller" I am not yet familiar with the new cores. (The old ones still seem to work pretty good.) But my best guess is they run HOT!! LOL.. My understanding of this was much over 55c was not good. As things tend to wear out a bit faster over much over that.. And of course hotter=faster wear.(Electron Migration?) But then who's going to be using the same processor in 20 years? (Besides me I mean.)

What's an H70? Awww... It's cute!! http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_h70/ For that? I would say your temps are most excellent!! And it certainly looks like you've done everything that could be done. To get those temps as low as you possibly could get them. Unless you used too much paste. Excess paste raises temps. But I doubt that's the case.

Anyway's... Best to you... Keep up the good work...

More singing to the choir... LOL...
    P.S: Cooler is always better. Especially when overclocking. Not only can you wring more mhz out of it at low volts. But this allows you to scale further using higher voltages.
    Last edited by Clay; 03-17-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    Still overclocking and water cooling. Old stuff mostly... Still buyin' new stuff for my huge monster case though..(Project on hold til' further notice.or til' I suddenly see a fair increase in income. (Even then the gunshows do tend to grab me!!!) But really no new rig to speak of. Currently C2D E8400 on H2O Giga' p43t W/ decent pair o' ddr3 sticks stuffed in a old aluminium coolermaster preatorian case with a shrouded PA140.3 hangin' out of the side.Needs some bigger fans to keep up with this yuma heat though.. TX850. GTX460.Old yellow 1/2" tygon tubing adds some petina to the dear old thing. (As if it needed any.)Really nuthin' to call home about here at least... LOL..

Xtreme Member
    Look good to me. Would get better temps using it as an intake though.
    Internal Watercooling Antec 900 Build Log*

WC loop: Black ice extreme 240 radiator, XSPC 120 radiator, HK 3.0, D5 pump with Bitspower top, DD fillport, Primochill tubing, distilled + ptnuke

Pink Floyd is #1

Xtreme Member
    Thought about that, but it would go against the airflow in the FT03.