Thread: Watercooling Options

Watercooling Options

What im trying to do is figure out what i should bother with watercooling. I already have most of the parts but dont know if i should go all out or not. The UD7 comes with a "waterblock" that basically doesnt touch anything. I want to cool the CPU since i want to overclock that and i already have a block for that. The problem is once i do that i will no longer have the cpu fan blowing over the heat sinks on the motherboard. So since i cant use the waterblock that comes with it will that be an issue once i overclock the CPU?

I dont have a good clean way to add a fan so that ware wont have much for airflow. EK makes a block that ive read about on here but at ~$150 id like to know how nessisary it really is. Ive also considered cooling the 580 but still need to do more research on that. I doubt ill overclock the 580 much if at all too.

- HAF X case
    - i7-930
    - Gigabyte X58A-UD7
    - EVGA 580 video card

WC Componets i have:
    - Apogee XT CPU block
    - 1/2" ID Tygon tube with various barbs and adaptors
    - Res with D5 pump mount
    - Thermochill PA 120.2 and a 120.3
    - Various high to medium flow fans

So considering a limited budget what do yall think?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Cheapest solution is grab a converter of some type aka a male to male fitting and run the stock wb on 3/8ths. Cost you 2 converters and fittings and some 3/8 tubing.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

I wonder if that will give me enough cooling for the board though. I will have some airflow since i plan to have the radiator in the top of the case with the fans as intake but that wont amount to too much once its dispersed. I have a fan under my DVD drives now as an intake that moves a fair amount of air but thats where my res/pump will be once i add the water.

I put a temp sensor on the spot where the factory waterblock will be and it gets up to about 40 Degrees C. If im gaming it may get over that but i didnt look. With normal use its around 36 to 40 though. I dont know the accuracy of the probe but could test it on my temp calibrator at work.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    X58 nb runs hot mines +10abm with 6 quad rads its hotter then my chip on idle. Cores 18 - 22 mb 30 .

Asus r3e

that's with full board wb, a full board block is nice but the inculded can do in a pinch.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube