Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swiftech Is Going To Release 140mm Rads!

Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    So you're saying there's a big demand for 40x40x13mm fans in the server market?
    1U rack mounts? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_unit

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    So you're saying there's a big demand for 40x40x13mm fans in the server market?
    Like churchy and IanM have stated 1U...in particular their PSU's use anything from 10mm to 20mm thick 40mm fans. There are also redundant PSU's for U2 and up that utilize 40mm fans in them.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    so... any news on a possible release date for the 140mm rads?

I have a 1u server and it has 40x40xsomething huge fans

I am Xtreme
    Gabe, is there any kind of an ETA on the 140mm rads?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Mr Swiftech
    The XS series (high FPI 120's) is coming out first. I am taking my sweet time with the 140's.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hopefully this will help drive 140mm fan production a bit. I've been a 140mm adopter for awhile but the fan selection sucks. I generally end up with YL fans which are good enough for the price which isn't saying much considering the price
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    The XS series (high FPI 120's) is coming out first. I am taking my sweet time with the 140's.
    Gabe, your killin me here. Was really hoping to be able to work it into my super packed mini-ITX build but sounds like it'll be done before before these come out. *sad*

Quote Originally Posted by trn View Post
    Hopefully this will help drive 140mm fan production a bit. I've been a 140mm adopter for awhile but the fan selection sucks. I generally end up with YL fans which are good enough for the price which isn't saying much considering the price
    Not gonna happen. Fans are mostly driven by the server market. If they have no use for them, they won't have the fan companies develop them and the fan companies aren't going to dump the massive amount of money into research into a new form factor/design unless there is a guaranteed massive return on that investment.
    Circles SucQ!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    He I work in IT, most data centers require ear plugs, noise goes out the window. Hell a high end cisco router will sound like a dustbuster. Our data center takes up an entire floor and it's enter with plugs in for the most part. You don't have to, but it will mess you up. I dunno about others experience, but I've worked for the Navy, contractor, State, banks, all that crap is 1u 2u at most, large just isn't always practical. To give you an idea, take a delta fan (lol) now cram 5 of them in one box, now fill a rack with those 1us, now fill an entire ing floor with that .

That's about how it gets.

dell-poweredge-r410-1u-server-x5560-12-core-2tb-8gb-ddr3-2xpsu-1010-12-server@7.jpg

See the funny

Don't even get me started on rack mounts
    Last edited by crash5s; 06-12-2011 at 06:00 PM.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Not gonna happen. Fans are mostly driven by the server market. If they have no use for them, they won't have the fan companies develop them and the fan companies aren't going to dump the massive amount of money into research into a new form factor/design unless there is a guaranteed massive return on that investment.
    I don't know if I buy this explanation. There are plenty of fans, 140mm and otherwise, that obviously have nothing to do with the server market. Look at Noctua, Be Quiet, or Thermalright and tell me those fans - with their notched blades and colorful, vibration dampened frames - were developed as server fans, a market for which noise and aesthetics are completely superfluous. Clearly, some of these companies have the resources and the incentive to develop fans for the consumer market.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by subtec View Post
    I don't know if I buy this explanation. There are plenty of fans, 140mm and otherwise, that obviously have nothing to do with the server market. Look at Noctua, Be Quiet, or Thermalright and tell me those fans - with their notched blades and colorful, vibration dampened frames - were developed as server fans, a market for which noise and aesthetics are completely superfluous. Clearly, some of these companies have the resources and the incentive to develop fans for the consumer market.
    Then please explain why Nidec Servo refuses to even look at making GT's in a 140mm frame unless they can guarantee a minimum order of 100K units? Those companies may have 140mm fans and they've been shown to perform worse than a 120mm GT because they didn't put anywhere near the money a company like Nidec Servo can into proper development. Even a company like Yate Loon appears to just have "scaled up" their current design for 140mm and has a limited number of models.
    Circles SucQ!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Then please explain why Nidec Servo refuses to even look at making GT's in a 140mm frame unless they can guarantee a minimum order of 100K units?
    Because that's Nidec and their interest lies primarily in the server market?

Those companies may have 140mm fans and they've been shown to perform worse than a 120mm GT because they didn't put anywhere near the money a company like Nidec Servo can into proper development.
    But the original question wasn't about performance, was it? It was just about companies being willing to develop fans for the consumer market. In any case, it looks like Noctua, at least, is putting some serious effort into designing fans with superior performance characteristics for the enthusiast market. The proof is in the pudding, of course, and time will tell if all that marketing techno-speak is just for show or if we'll see some genuinely innovative high-performance products out of it.

-150c Club Member
    It's not just computer usage, nor is it just server.
    They're are lots of "muffin" fans required in electronic equipment and manufacturing. The point that an order for 100K is needed is valid though.

Will wait on you Gabe for my next upgrade.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Guru
    Nidec primary interest is to make products that their customers (big volume resellers or miscellaneous hardware vendors including server market, customer market and others) buy. There is big enough market for 120mm GTs, so Nidec made them, Scythe bought & resold them (and btw, imho LC use makes only small share from all GT usage). 140mm fan market is way narrower niche then 120mm fans one, thus it's way harder to order 100K fans monthly to make it worthy invest in retooling and such. I'm guessing that for each 140mm fan sold there are at least ten 120mm ones.
    So it would be nice to have 140mm GTs .. but probably we won't see them in nearest few years until 140mm fans become at least 1:3 as common as 120mm ones are.

Xtreme Guru
    Didn't want to create new thread because prefering for vendors rep to create new product threads with relevant info in OP, but as swiftech xtreme rad series got mentioned in this thread as well few times, decided to post here news about their release:
    Quote Originally Posted by 6-29-11 Swiftech Releases MCRx20-XP eXtreme Performance Radiator Series
    "The XP series differentiate themselves from the QP series by a higher fin count, translating into higher performance with medium speed fans, at moderate noise levels."
    The MCRx20-XP (eXtreme Performance) series radiators are high-performance liquid-to-air heat exchangers optimized for use with medium speed 120mm fans and specifically engineered in a slim for factor for high-end liquid cooled Personal Computers.

The XP series derive from the Quiet Power™ technology (QP series) first introduced in 2005 and both series share the exact same dimensions. They differentiate themselves by a higher fin-per-inch (FPI) count where the QP series feature a 12 FPI specification versus 20 FPI for the new XP series. A higher FPI count means that the XP series are more efficient at dissipating heat in the higher RPM fan ranges (from 1200 and above). When large heat loads are involved for example a CPU and GPU(s) in the loop, this may translate into several degrees improvement in coolant temperature.

We recommend selecting a radiator in the XP series for applications where fans will run from 1200 RPM and above, and selecting among the QP series where fans will run from 1200 RPM and below.

Xtreme Member
    cant wait to see these on skinnees, vapors, or martins bench. speaking of skinnee where is he? havent seen his presence on the forum at all for quite some time

Xtreme Member
    so gabe, any chance we could get a little more info when you think the swiftech 140mm rads will come out?

40mm fans are actually the most common fan size found in servers because it matches up exactly with 1U height. And yes, no one cares about noise but rather about airflow and longevity so you get monstrosities like 40mm x 13mm fans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12