Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Press Release] GIGABYTE Launches X58A-OC: World’s First Overclocking Motherboard

World Champion - IRONMODS

[Press Release] GIGABYTE Launches X58A-OC: World’s First Overclocking Motherboard

- GIGABYTE Launches X58A-OC: World’s First Overclocking Motherboard -

-- Designed By Overclockers, For Overclockers –

City of Industry, California, March 1st, 2011 – GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co., Ltd, a leading manufacturer of motherboards, graphics cards and other computing hardware solutions today announced the launch of the world’s first motherboard designed from the ground up for extreme overclockers, the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-OC. Its overclocking specific performance design defines a whole new category of enthusiast focused motherboards that introduces never-seen-before tweaking and insulating features.

“The GIGABYTE X58A-OC introduces some really exciting and unique overclocking technologies like the PWM frequency switcher, a full range of onboard hardware OC buttons, onboard SATA power connectors for stable multiple graphics configurations, and DualBIOS™ switcher that up until now have just been ideas discussed in private OC forums and messages,” commented HiCookie, GIGABYTE In-house Overclocking Expert. “Tweaking features aside, we have also adopted high current components such as POScaps and MPFC (Max Power Ferrite Core) Chokes that allow overclockers to bench more reliably and with more power so they are able to smash more world records. As an avid overclocker myself, having the freedom to help design a board specifically for overclockers has been a dream come true, and I really hope that overclockers enjoy benching on this board as much as we enjoyed making it!”

Based on the Intel® X58 chipset (Tylersburg) and supporting LGA 1366 socket CPUs such as Intel’s new top of the range Core™ i7 990X Extreme Edition CPU, the GIGABYTE X58A-OC takes advantage of all the performance benefits that the X58 platform has to offer including triple channel DDR3 memory support, 6 core 12 thread CPU support, and enough PCIe Gen 2.0 bandwidth to support 4-way CrossFireX™ and 3-way SLI™ for the best graphics performance in the world.

Designed for Extreme Overclocking

GIGABYTE has listened closely to the overclocking community to make sure the X58A-OC has all of the overclocking features enthusiasts have been asking for, without some of the features that are unnecessary while overclocking, or can negatively impact performance - similar to a stripped down sports car where the aircon, radio, passenger seats, etc… have been removed to reduce weight. Layout was a critical aspect of the design, not only in choice of components used, but also spacing of the components so that insulation of the board is as easy as possible, while still maintaining the most efficient data pathways between the various components. GIGABYTE is also introducing 5 new main overclocking features on the X58A-OC that help to push the performance envelope of the X58A-OC even further including OC-VRM, OC-Touch, OC-PEG, OC-Cool and OC-DualBIOS™.

OC-VRM
    The GIGABYTE X58A-OC features a new VRM design called OC-VRM, which includes a combination of highly conductive POScaps, 50A rated MPFC (Max Power Ferrite Core) Chokes, and Driver-MOSFETs, which combined, are able to deliver higher current to the CPU, with better efficiency and lower temperature. OC-VRM also allows users to overclock the PWM frequency via an onboard switch, for real-time adjustment. When the CPU needs maximum power, users can raise the PWM frequency in order to deliver more current through this unique POScap and MPFC Choke design. In addition, GIGABYTE has specially chosen unobtrusive components and carefully designed their layout to make it easier and quicker than ever for extreme overclockers to insulate their boards.

OC-Touch
    OC-Touch enables overclockers to quickly and easily get the best performance from their system. With onboard OC-Touch buttons, users are able to manually raise and lower the CPU ratio, change BCLK settings, and even change BCLK stepping to either 1MHz or 0.3MHz. These changes can be made at any time whether in the BIOS, DOS, or Windows and in real-time without the need for rebooting, so that users can quickly fine-tune to find their CPU’s maximum frequency. The onboard 4G Ready button allows novice overclockers to automatically reach 4GHz, while advanced users can use it to get to 4GHz before continuing with OC-Touch to quickly find their CPU’s best margin. Onboard voltage measurement modules are also included to help users to conveniently monitor component voltages.

OC-PEG
    OC-PEG provides two onboard SATA power connectors for more stable PCIe power when using 3-way and 4-way graphics configurations. Each connector can get power from a different phase of the power supply, helping to provide a better, more stable graphics overclock. The independent power inputs for the PCIe slots helps to improve even single graphics card overclocking. For 4-way CrossFireX™, users must install OC-PEG to avoid over current in the 24pin ATX connector. The entire board also features POScaps, helping to simplify the insulation process so overclockers can quickly reach subzero readiness.

OC-Cool
    OC-Cool features a new LED lit thermal design and 7x 4-pin Smart Fan connectors to allow overclockers to easily control system-wide temperature. The OC-Cool heatpipe maximizes system convection to expel hot air out through the IO panel and optimizes passive cooling. OC-Cool LED lighting on the North and South Bridges further adds to the X58A-OC’s coolness.

OC-DualBIOS™
    OC-DualBIOS™ features an onboard BIOS switcher and LED indicator, allowing users to select one BIOS for normal use, and another one for overclocking. It can also act as a backup BIOS in case of BIOS failure during overclocking. With two BIOSes, users are able to save up to 16 different overclocking profiles – a very useful feature when overclockers want to update to a new BIOS, but don’t want to lose their original settings.

By being able to switch between 2 different BIOSes, OC-DualBIOS also allows users to test drive a new BIOS without having to update both BIOSes with the same update, helping to save time and unnecessary BIOS reflashes.

To download high resolution pictures or learn more about the GIGBYTE X58A-OC motherboard, please visit the official GIGABYTE microsite or keep an eye on the GIGABYTE Tech Daily blog.

Share the news

About GIGABYTE Upgrade Your Life
    GIGABYTE Technology Co. Ltd., headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan, is known as a leading brand in the IT industry with branch offices located in 24 countries around the world. Founded in 1986, GIGABYTE started as a small research and development team and has since taken a position as one of the in the world's top motherboard manufacturers. In addition to motherboards and graphics cards, GIGABYTE further expanded its product portfolio to include notebook and desktop PCs, datacenter servers, networking products, mobile handsets, and home entertainment devices to serve each facet of the digital life in the home and office. Everyday GIGABYTE aims to “Upgrade Your Life” with innovative technology, exceptional quality, and unmatched customer service. Visit www.gigabyte.us for more information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    just got that press release too, the board looks sick.

World Champion - IRONMODS
    I thought you were gonna beat me to the post
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    haha i rarely post up press releases unless the product is really cool/interests me like this. LOL i posted it on OCN tho after you posted it here lol.

c[_]
    Not the first, but guess its better than... uh.. others.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gonna be a sweet board!
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

I am Xtreme
    No confirmation of $280 MSRP?
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor
    'first overclocking motherboard'

Oh really .. Looks cool though
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    I thought you were gonna beat me to the post
    In before Sin

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    'first overclocking motherboard'

Oh really .. Looks cool though
    Yep, they put the letters "OC" in front of every single feature

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go get an OC-yogurt with an OC-newspaper and maybe then do OC-crossword puzzles.

Xtreme Addict
    A little too much "OC", I think. And "POScaps?" Was marketing having a lazy day?

Still, looks like a pretty sick setup, I'll give it that. Nice to see the two extra PCI-E power connectors to the board, although I'm kind of curious why they'd use SATA power connectors over molex for that. I would have thought that a molex would have more metal-metal contact at the plug socket.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

I am Xtreme
    they spent a pretty penny replacing the caps on this board with tantalum core ones, i am sure they will advertise it to the fullest extent like they should, you see any other board or even GPU with all tantalum and MLCC caps? my GTX 570 is close but still a few electrolytic.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    A little too much "OC", I think. And "POScaps?" Was marketing having a lazy day?

Still, looks like a pretty sick setup, I'll give it that. Nice to see the two extra PCI-E power connectors to the board, although I'm kind of curious why they'd use SATA power connectors over molex for that. I would have thought that a molex would have more metal-metal contact at the plug socket.
    poscap is the brand name of tantalum caps from sanyo
    also prolly in top tantalum caps out there..include kemet and nec
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xtreme Addict
    They had me until this part below... I mean, who uses crusty old iphones anymore? I mean, I gave my glaxy s running overclocked at 1200MHz. Since this is an OC board why don't they support the OC equipment.

On/Off Charge Technology
    GIGABYTE On/Off Charge technology allows you to charge your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch regardless of whether your PC is on, in standby mode or even off. A derivative of GIGABYTE's highly acclaimed 3x USB Power feature, On/Off Charge enables devices to draw more current from GIGABYTE motherboard USB ports than standard USB ports allow, so that charging from your PC can be as fast as with a charger.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    World’s First Overclocking Motherboard???

NOW THAT IS MARKETING-FAIL!!!

Sorry but are there any ethics in marketing or are these guys just plain stupid???

RE, BlackOps, Classified, RIIIE BE....there have been many many boards before this...to call a board "world’s First Overclocking Motherboard" should be forbidden these days....
    Last edited by SoF; 03-02-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

Xtreme Legend
    ROG = Republic of (G)Overclockers

I do understand where you're coming from and i think what that line is missing is a word "dedicated" between OC and motherboard.

Everyone else in the past years has tried to attract gamers and whatever else was sexy for their sales department. This board is a step away from the norm or i should say a step in the right direction IMO. There were some compromises sure like including audio and USB3 but it will need to be a board thats usable by overclockers when they put away the weapons and put it in a PC case to live the rest of its life on calm air OC retirement age ehhehe. Those compromises were there only if they don't affect its main purpose and that is to be an overclockers board. That is the difference between this board a lots in the past, it is first and foremost an overclocking board rather than gamers or whatever BS you had to strap to it to get it approved. Believe me when i say this, it is a very difficult process to get to this stage where a company gives a green light to an unorthodox product where they wouldnt normally go to but purely due to passion of inhouse overclockers that understand what the community wants. This is hopefully only a start, it now depends on you guys if you want companies to concentrate on what overclockers want or what gamers want LOL
    Last edited by dinos22; 03-02-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    They had me until this part below... I mean, who uses crusty old iphones anymore? I mean, I gave my glaxy s running overclocked at 1200MHz. Since this is an OC board why don't they support the OC equipment.
    Nothing special anyways really, just power from +5vsb like any other board.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

This makes me lol. Everybody is "amazed" by a board thats colour coded very similarly to what DFI used to do. Sigh.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

I am Xtreme
    its the features ket, lol i don't think many people care about the color. its nice to see something different, and DFI did have some of the nicest boards, so did Abit but not as fashionable. This board features a lot of nice tech that is meant for OCers, and I personally could care less about color as an Ocer, performance and OC dedicated features come first.

Abit and DFI are long gone, I am glad that some of their ideas and styling haven't.

Hi-C POScaps, i am glad to see the dedication to high quality components, makes sense to have some caps that can take the cold.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    its the features ket, lol i don't think many people care about the color. its nice to see something different, and DFI did have some of the nicest boards, so did Abit but not as fashionable. This board features a lot of nice tech that is meant for OCers, and I personally could care less about color as an Ocer, performance and OC dedicated features come first.

Abit and DFI are long gone, I am glad that some of their ideas and styling haven't.

Hi-C POScaps, i am glad to see the dedication to high quality components, makes sense to have some caps that can take the cold.
    I really, really, miss abit
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    I do understand where you're coming from and i think what that line is missing is a word "dedicated" between OC and motherboard.

This is hopefully only a start, it now depends on you guys if you want companies to concentrate on what overclockers want or what gamers want LOL
    I think a better description would be "A REAL DEDICATED OC-BOARD" - that would nail the point gigabyte wants to say I think

Last sentence: all companies that didn't found the right balance between "OC" and "gaming" to serve both needs died sooner or later...I think your "LOL" at the end shows a lot dedication to oc but sales-wise....never rule out the gamers or you lost...I prefer to put a board out of my "benching hardware" into 24/7 at some point because there is something new, something else or whatever - if that board doesn't serve any "all day requirements" I wouldn't buy it from the very beginning....it needs to have some dedicated oc-features but even for me as an extreme(ly bad) overclocker a board should always be able to handle my 24/7 needs
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

Xtreme Legend
    we are in 100% agreement but just want to highlight the fact the focus is overclocking here instead of gaming hence the future product development looks more favourably at OC features which is what WE want. Games will still buy these boards more than anyone else for normal systems and stick their awesome sound card in and way they go . Nothing wrong with that at all but the FOCUS is the most important point here and anyone here with any gray matter will understand how significant that is
    Last edited by dinos22; 03-03-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Addict
    I heard something about $250 instead of $280, don't know if it's true though.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think they tried to combine too many industry buzzwords in addition to automotive references in the press release. Gear shifting and whatnot.... sigh. Still a very nice feature rich board.

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    we are in 100% agreement but just want to highlight the fact the focus is overclocking here instead of gaming hence the future product development looks more favourably at OC features which is what WE want. Games will still buy these boards more than anyone else for normal systems and stick their awesome sound card in and way they go . Nothing wrong with that at all but the FOCUS is the most important point here and anyone here with any gray matter will understand how significant that is
    it's fOCus not FOCUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast