Thread: Need a big ass case.

Xtreme Rack Freak

Need a big ass case.

I am planning to upgrade my NAS (listed in my signature) in upcoming March.

First of all, the case I have is Coolermaster Wavemaster ( http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=7 ) which is like 5+ years (correct me if I am wrong) old. While I love the case, I plan to ditch it since its internal layout is very outdated and it's hard to work with when it comes to swaping HDDs.

I am looking for full tower case probably, but mid-tower may be used if it meets my requirements.

My current NAS has 6 HDDs (3 2TBs + 3 1TBs) plus a SSD for boot drive.

I am going to reuse mobo but upgrade cpu to 1090TBE from 720BE. (Triple core to hex core)
    Mobo I have is GA-790FXTA-UD5 ( http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...aspx?pid=3258# ) which supports Thuban core with BIOS update.
    PSU is from CORSAIR and is rated at 620w, also modular.

The NAS will run WCG, using 5 cores and will leave one core for other tasks.

I currently have HD3850 installed there, but I will get a HD5670. I do not game with the NAS at all, but I wanna get rid of extra cable since I am using a modular PSU.

I've searched for some candidates and I am really liking following cases.

Silverstone TJ10
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...=tj10&area=usa

Gigabye SUMO
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-047-_-Product

I generally like clean looking aluminum cases without side window. I also require the case to be heavily filtered and the case needs to be able to hold at least 6 3.5in HDDs but I favor 8+ HDD slots for future expansion.

If you have recommendations, throw away.
    Last edited by alucasa; 02-26-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

Administrator
    Sounds like may system in some ways.
    My WHS used the same MB and a 955 but it took a dive and I have to rebuild it.

If you ask me get a 890GPA-UD3H as it has its own video onboard. I used some old funky PCIe card on the first build and the fan on that went out on it. Plus they just add extra heat to the box.

Mine will also have a 1090T on new rebuild.

I don't run as many drives as you do but I wil have 5-6TB which should be plenty.

My case is just an old one, not a tower but one that sits flat on the desk with my printer sitting on top. I don't have space for more towers LOL.

I use RADMIN to remote into the box which works very well.

I am Xtreme
    But what does it all have to do with a case recommendation?
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    But what does it all have to do with a case recommendation?
    Noting LOL

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Chieftec cases definitely can fit the "big ass" category. Also come with a rather big selection for fan placement, and filtered:
    http://www.chieftec.com/products.html

You also have this big honkin' mother from Lian Li:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/52...cb97jTnK#blank

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Me personally im going to use a fractal design r3..It has plenty of hd bays (8) that support both 3.5 and 2.5..its designed for silence with sound dampening material already installed. hole cut outs in the mobo tray with gromets for clean wiring..a good amount of room behind the mobo tray to wire without the bulging panel. Easy slide out hd trays with rubber inserts for noise control. Its also a really sleek design imo i love the look of this case and want one NOW!!! your in canada so you can get one no problem from ncix. They also have a larger case XL thats similar but larger(go figure) thats also very nice..but i dont need that much room personally. Just something you can check out..oh and they are fairly inexpensive as well.. They arent aluminum which helps cut down costs but weight isn't my number one priority when purchasing a case..also the insides are(im not sure if they are paint or powder coat..id say paint to save on costs but i haven't found out for sure) either way very nice case for the money.

Xtreme Rack Freak
    Currently looking at Obsidian 80D as well as Zalman GS1000.

Both have builtin hotswap bays, but neither is full aluminum case. I will use whatever case I choose for another 5 years at least, so I am looking into all possible choices, but I want full aluminum chassis if possible.

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alucasa View Post

Both have builtin hotswap bays, but neither is full aluminum case. I will use whatever case I choose for another 5 years at least, so I am looking into all possible choices, but I want full aluminum chassis if possible.
    Careful with the Zalman.. if you get a GS1000 SE it comes without the HDD hotswap backplane/modules, which means you basically have only a fancy way to insert the drives. It is a nice case though and it is pretty big...limited 5 inch bay options however

Xtreme Cruncher

I just bought a 800D this past weekend. And I've owned/built with/used alot of cases....(CM cosmos s, CM Haf X, CM storm scout, CM storm sniper, Antec 900, Antec 300, to name a few) This thing is the King of them all! Size, functionality, ease of use, quality! Hands down the best, I really can't say enough about it. It most definitly falls into the "big ass case' category. The hot swap bays function very well, sturdy and clean. With it's standard config it only holds 6 x 3.5" drives, but it has 5 x 5.25 drive bays that can easy be converted. Dunno if this helps, but with my personal experience,(my .02) you can't go wrong with the 800D!
    My Rig
    Case: Corsair Air240
    PSU: Corsair AX860i
    MB: Asus Z270G Strix
    CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K w/Corsair H100i v2
    RAM: 64GB (4 x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    SSD: 2 x Samsung 960 Pro - Raid 0

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by InCredible View Post
    Me personally im going to use a fractal design r3..It has plenty of hd bays (8) that support both 3.5 and 2.5..its designed for silence with sound dampening material already installed. hole cut outs in the mobo tray with gromets for clean wiring..a good amount of room behind the mobo tray to wire without the bulging panel. Easy slide out hd trays with rubber inserts for noise control. Its also a really sleek design imo i love the look of this case and want one NOW!!! your in canada so you can get one no problem from ncix. They also have a larger case XL thats similar but larger(go figure) thats also very nice..but i dont need that much room personally. Just something you can check out..oh and they are fairly inexpensive as well.. They arent aluminum which helps cut down costs but weight isn't my number one priority when purchasing a case..also the insides are(im not sure if they are paint or powder coat..id say paint to save on costs but i haven't found out for sure) either way very nice case for the money.
    Yeah I was going to suggest this case as well..
    I like the like the Arc Midi Tower and the XL is very tall.
    Link -------> H E R E

+1 on the Corsair as well..

Quote Originally Posted by erikmorgan View Post
    I just bought a 800D this past weekend. And I've owned/built with/used alot of cases....(CM cosmos s, CM Haf X, CM storm scout, CM storm sniper, Antec 900, Antec 300, to name a few) This thing is the King of them all! Size, functionality, ease of use, quality! Hands down the best, I really can't say enough about it. It most definitly falls into the "big ass case' category. The hot swap bays function very well, sturdy and clean. With it's standard config it only holds 6 x 3.5" drives, but it has 5 x 5.25 drive bays that can easy be converted. Dunno if this helps, but with my personal experience,(my .02) you can't go wrong with the 800D!
    I agree very nice case easy access to HD stuff..
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 4.8GHz
    MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper M5 MATX 1150
    MEMORY: G.SKILL Trident X 8GB 2400MHz 9-11-11-31 1T
    GPU: 2 x eVGA GTX 780 SC
    SOUND KRK Rokit 5 Limited Edition White Studio Monitors
    SSD: 4 x Samsung 128GB Pro's Raid 0
    PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W
    COOLING: 2 x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 420mm 6 x Swiftech Helix 140mm Fans
    CASE: Lian Li PC-C32B TECH STATION MOD build log coming soon
    MONITOR: ASUS VG278HE Black 27" 149Hz
    O.S: Windows 7 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    +1 for the 800D or a HAF X

you may also want to check out these:

antec 1200:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129043

Enermax Uber Chakra:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/uberchakra/

I am Xtreme
    I saw the title of your thread and then read your post, and would like to ask:

Do you really want a -big- case?

or

Do you want a case that will hold a lot of drives? (like 10 or more)

Also, a major factor is how much are you looking to spend on the case alone?

50?
    250?
    500?
    If you aren't living on the edge, then you are taking up too much space.

Xtreme Member
    I just ordered one of these...
    http://www.mountainmods.com/extended...cyo-p-493.html
    Mine's a plain aluminum case but it will serve me well. And yes... It's BIG! LOL...
    Last edited by Clay; 03-06-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Still overclocking and water cooling. Old stuff mostly... Still buyin' new stuff for my huge monster case though..(Project on hold til' further notice.or til' I suddenly see a fair increase in income. (Even then the gunshows do tend to grab me!!!) But really no new rig to speak of. Currently C2D E8400 on H2O Giga' p43t W/ decent pair o' ddr3 sticks stuffed in a old aluminium coolermaster preatorian case with a shrouded PA140.3 hangin' out of the side.Needs some bigger fans to keep up with this yuma heat though.. TX850. GTX460.Old yellow 1/2" tygon tubing adds some petina to the dear old thing. (As if it needed any.)Really nuthin' to call home about here at least... LOL..

Thats a nice one Clay.
    UD7 / I950 / OCZ SSD / PATRIOT DDR3 8 8 8 24 2000MHZ / 600 watt psu.