Thread: Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Extreme Pump Mod Top V2. Any gains?

Xtreme Member

Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Extreme Pump Mod Top V2. Any gains?

I have split my loop between the CPU block and the MB chipset cooler/GPU. I need (2) "Y" splitters to bring them all together to the single Swiftech 655 pump and was wondering if the Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Extreme Pump Mod Top V2 with it's dual inlet would lower the restrictions on the pump?

Impeller type pumps normally like having the intake directly in the center of the impeller but the Bitspower intake block places the auxiliary intake off to the side. From the photos its hard to tell exactly where the coolant meets the blades of the impeller but if it's offset to one side as it appears that may place an uneven load on the pump and may disturb the flow somewhat.

Has anyone have any testing experience with the multi port pump housing and can shed some light whether there is an improvement in the flow of the pump. I went to Skinnee's site and browsed the web but did not see any real test data.
    Last edited by SlowSVT; 02-24-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Never go full retard
    I have the BP D5 tops, but they are in line for testing... I did get the flow rates already done on the standard G1/4 single though.

Images taken from the DD Monsoon review...

We don't need to clone sheep, we need to clone more Skinnee's.
    QuagsQube: i7-980x / SLi GTX680 / Rampage III Formula / 6GB PC12800 / AX1200 / U2-UFO Case / RealSSD C300 128GB / X25m G2 80GB / 6010x1080 res / Watercooled
    Laptop: G73JH-A1

Xtreme Member
    Maybe I'm not understanding something but that offset intake seems a bit hoaky. I think they should have merged both opening in the center.

Xtreme Guru
    Ugh. With BP's top D5 pumps worse even then jingways?
    Something really wrong with BP products lately. Recall also their gtx480 block's worst cooling yet highest price.

I am Xtreme
    I highly recommend the EK R2 from my personal experience.

Xtreme Member
    The design of the impeller and the pump design is a little bit of a mystery to me but looking at the following image it appears the center inlet is the only place where the water can be drawn into the impeller so I wonder how effective the side inlet can be and will it cause a degree of turbulence introducing water from another source? Not only that but the intake on the impeller is a fixed diameter so adding another inlet won't increase the capacity from what I can see. It will only add another inlet which will rob the primary inlet

][/URL]

The second port on the output side appears to be more logical since it located in the output plenum.

Skinnee, thanks for posting those graphs. To be honest I am a little confused by all the designation and what they are but most of that can be attributed to the fact I am a "noob" to water cooling. I was looking for some kind of back-to-back test on the web but to no avail. The fact that Bitspower makes all kinds of wonderful claims about there pump tops yet they lack any graphs to back it up. I went to EK site and there was nothing to be found there either. I get a bit suspicious when a vendor makes claims without test data. This appears to be nothing more then a pump body with multiple ports.

The reason I ask is I made some last minute changes on my loop and want to button-up my rig and will be placing what I think will be my last order and am wondering if I should include this part. At this point I don't know if spending the $60 is going to buy me better performance then what I already have.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    FO = Front Outlet
    TO = Top Outlet
    FI = Front Inlet
    TI = Top Inlet

I get confused as to what is front or top because the DDC and D5 sit opposite. The best in/out option is to have a straight shot into the impeller and the outlet perpendicular to that. For the D5 I think that is front inlet top outlet (FITO)

The other "Options" are for convenience and will always be a compromise or loss in performance over the optimal bend-less entry/exit.