Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LightPeak->Thunderbolt: Apple and Intel unveil Thunderbolt I/O technology

Xtreme Member

Post LightPeak->Thunderbolt: Apple and Intel unveil Thunderbolt I/O technology

Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    Intel has thrown up its page on the technology, and it looks like the Light Peak name is officially no more. Intel indicates this speed will be enough to transfer a full-length HD movie (roughly 10 - 20GB in size) in less than 30 seconds. Intel also reinforces that this is compatible with existing DisplayPort devices and it also uses the PCI Express protocol for enhanced compatibility. Daisy-chaining will be possible, along with bus-powered devices, and cables can be made using either optical or electrical construction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel
    • Dual-channel 10 Gbps per port
    • Bi-directional
    • Dual-protocol (PCI Express* and DisplayPort*)
    • Compatible with existing DisplayPort devices
    • Daisy-chained devices
    • Electrical or optical cables
    • Low latency with highly accurate time synchronization
    • Uses native protocol software drivers
    • Power over cable for bus-powered devices
    Sources:
    1) http://www.intel.com/technology/io/t...bolt/index.htm
    2) http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/24/a...s-thunderbolt/
    3) http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

More info:
    Quote Originally Posted by onethreehill View Post
    Leading Hard Drive Makers to Support Intel Thunderbolt.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage...underbolt.html
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Last edited by AnXioZ; 02-24-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I'm wondering since Thunderbolt is based off PCI-Express if we will see external GPU solutions for mobile stations. I remember Asus and MSI coming up with something similar but the speed sucked.
    Last edited by AnXioZ; 02-24-2011 at 08:04 AM.

I am Xtreme
    So it begins...
    Are there any peripherals with Thunderbolt support being showcased already?
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    I'm skeptical about this ever taking over USB. USB's just got too much market penetration. I mean, where's 1394 now? Sure, you can still get it on the more expensive boards, but the cheaper ones don't bother any more. There's very few devices that use it, too.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    I'm skeptical about this ever taking over USB. USB's just got too much market penetration. I mean, where's 1394 now? Sure, you can still get it on the more expensive boards, but the cheaper ones don't bother any more. There's very few devices that use it, too.
    Anything can be phased out. It would just take time and the right product. Im looking forward to seeing what happens. We wont see usb disappear for a long while though

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by \/icious View Post
    Anything can be phased out. It would just take time and the right product. Im looking forward to seeing what happens. We wont see usb disappear for a long while though
    Yeah, parallel and serial port market penetration didn't stop them being phased out.

Xtreme Infrastructure Eng
    This is huge...
    Less is more.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    could it scale to 100Gbps?

I can only see the positive in thunderbolt, no other standard shares another standard and thus makes this the king of the hill.

CPU: Intel i5 2500K + Antec Khuler 620 Memory: 4GB DDR3 Corsair DHX @ 1600MHz CL7 GPU: Nvidia GTX 560Ti + Antec Khuler 620
    Motherboard: Zotac Z68ITX-A-E HDD: Crucial M4 128GB + 2TB Samsung F4EG Chassi: Lian Li Q11B PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W OS: Windows 7 x64
    Welcome to my home theater! | mattBLACK Gallery | Minima "H20" Gallery

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I told you guys Intel would have power over cable.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Many people said the same thing about USB when Serial R232 already had all the market penetration.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    Many people said the same thing about USB when Serial R232 already had all the market penetration.
    It depends how Intel charges with Lightpeak.

Xtreme Member
    Thunderbolt is just name for coper version insted of optics, so it is not renamed.
    Phenom II x6 1055T | ASRock 880G Ex.3 | 560Ti FrozrII 1GB| Corsair Vengeance 1600 2x4GB | Win7 64 | M4 128GB

VR Box - i5 6600 | MSI Mortar | Gigabyte G1 GTX 1060 | Viper 16GB DDR4 2400 | 256 SSD | Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch

Xtreme Mentor
    This is a great move based on a great vision. Combining high-speed data and HD video connections in a single cable is a big achieving.

Those who are concerned about the lack of peripherals for this new technology, or are trying to stick to USB3, are probably suffering from some kind of fanatic views.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by n!Cola View Post
    Thunderbolt is just name for coper version insted of optics, so it is not renamed.
    The OP and the links clearly mention "electrical or optical cables".
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    give me a break. think for a second, please. there is very little use for this. and the only use they did show was a RAID array that didn't even exceed ESATA speed.

wow, I can put my raid array on the same cable as my monitor? thanks.

this is just an intel money grab. and apple loves getting an expensive new differentiating feature. this is what the apple brand is all about, exclusivity.

Xtreme Addict
    they did show this actually:

a SSD NAS doing 700MB/s over a 3 foot wire. now, lets forget that people are already doing this inside their cases with "raid cards".

if you DO need to do this (3 feet away from your pc), then thunderbolt will be a good way to do it. fiber channel is more expensive, esata will take more cables, and SAS/infiniband/whatever will be some combination of expensive and more cables. so thunderbolt wins this round. unless you just put the ssds in your case with trays like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-002-_-Product and call it a day.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    give me a break. think for a second, please. there is very little use for this. and the only use they did show was a RAID array that didn't even exceed ESATA speed.

wow, I can put my raid array on the same cable as my monitor? thanks.

this is just an intel money grab. and apple loves getting an expensive new differentiating feature. this is what the apple brand is all about, exclusivity.
    This is the first step in transitioning much of the computer from silicon/electricity to optics/light.

The roadmap has lightpeak scalable to 100gbps. I really think you're missing the entire point completely. There is now a port on the side of a laptop that can transfer 10gbps each way..Do you know what that means?

The tech had to come out first, same old chicken and the egg..It had to come out first before people could start making devices for it..

Besides, one universal port that supports pci-express, displayport/hdmi/dvi , usb, ethernet etc..I'm all for it.

Not everything is always about money man..Intel has been developing this tech for decades..Intel is smart and realized Apple is more progressive and liberal with cutting out legacy stuff and adding new stuff. OSX is a smaller market, one manufacturer to worry about and its on a higher end boutigue computer that people would buy anyway..

Smarty move for intel dropping this on Apple first than the PC world. think about it..
    Last edited by Tenknics; 02-24-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Xtreme Member
    one immediate benefit from this new tech is that it will reduce cable clutter. You can daisy chain them together too. Win for staying organized!

Xtreme Addict
    [QUOTE=

.........Besides, one universal port that supports pci-express, displayport/hdmi/dvi , usb, ethernet etc..I'm all for it.
    [/QUOTE]
    "One port to bind them all" interesting tech that for sure!
    Respec'
    System:Bunch of crappy overclocked PC's that cost an arm and a leg

I am Xtreme
    Yeah, it's quite promising.
    Imagine, in the future...
    Instead of DVI / DisplayPort / HDMI and FireWire / eSATA - optical TB.
    Instead of USB - electrical TB.
    Instead of Ethernet - optical TB (I suppose ?).
    All driven by a single controller. No additional chip mess. No different ports and running around looking for cables and adapters for your monitor.
    Good stuff.
    But this is in theory... And this might be one big flop, we'll see!
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenknics View Post
    Smarty move for intel dropping this on Apple first than the PC world. think about it..
    Aye Apple make enough products for it to reach the mass market and then Intel just sell the chips. Intel trying to push this with USB still around wouldn't cut it but Apple can sell pork to a rabbi.

The professional market will eat it up, A Samsung F3 can swamp 1Gb LAN and 10Gb networks aren't cheap, then Intel releases a wonder cable.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    The professional market will eat it up, A Samsung F3 can swamp 1Gb LAN and 10Gb networks aren't cheap, then Intel releases a wonder cable.
    This is EXACTLY how Apple should market this tech after their success with Magic Mouse and iPad beating netbooks with magic!
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenknics View Post
    There is now a port on the side of a laptop that can transfer 10gbps each way..Do you know what that means?
    It means no one will use it because they don't have anything that moves so fast. I'm not being luddite here, I'm being practical. Fast links aren't news, fast media is. And you have none. Unless you've got that SSD raid array, that is, which is fine if you do. Most people will not, however.

And this cable does not have ethernet, and it does not have USB, so you didn't have a reason for implying it did. And everything in business is about profit, get a clue.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    It means no one will use it because they don't have anything that moves so fast. I'm not being luddite here, I'm being practical. Fast links aren't news, fast media is. And you have none. Unless you've got that SSD raid array, that is, which is fine if you do. Most people will not, however.

And this cable does not have ethernet, and it does not have USB, so you didn't have a reason for implying it did. And everything in business is about profit, get a clue.

(he means that you'll be able to use an external video card)

Although you'll probably need more links than just one. Like 3 of them in parallel have the same bandwidth as 16x PCIe 1.X

E: although they claim they can get it up to 100 gbps, which I guess is actually faster than PCIe 2.0 and only slightly slower than PCIe 3.0. If I were a laptop manufacturer, I'd start pushing USB3 as hard as I can, while completely ignoring LightPeak though... wouldn't want people to simply buy a desktop video card rather than a whole new laptop.
    Last edited by iddqd; 02-24-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast