Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DDC Pumps

DDC Pumps

I was told a DDC pump was needed for my system to cool both the GTX295 and i7 CPU.

I am looking for a low DB pump if possible. 15-30db range.

Any suggestions?

Xtreme Cruncher
    A Liand D5 Vario or as its affectionately known , the swiftech Mcp-655 with its speed control at setting 3 should do the job just fine.
    Or then id say go with the swiftech mcp-35x DDC pump with PWM control

Intel Core i7 3960x | 3x Intel Core i7 980x | 3x Intel Core i7 920 | 2x Intel Core i7 2600k | 2x AMD opteron 6282 SE | 3x Asus Rampage II Extreme | 2x Asus Rampage III Extreme | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 1x Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | 2x Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | Asus KGPE-D16 | 3x 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1600 Cl7 | 1x Patriot Viper II 6GB 2000 Cl8 | 3x Corsair Hx1000 | 4x Corsair Ax 1200 | 3x Antec 1200 | 4x Corsair Obsidian 800D | 2x Intel 80Gb G2 SSD | 4x Kingston HyperX 120GB | 2x Vertex 2 120GB | 2xWD 150GB Velociraptor + 1x WD 300GB Velociraptor +5TB | Msi Nvidia Gtx 295 | Msi Ati 4870x2 OC Edition | 2x Msi Ati 4890 OC Editions| 2x Sapphire Ati 5870's| Sapphire 5970 OC Edition | 2x Msi Gtx 460 | 3x Sapphire 6970 | 3x Asus Gtx 580 | 3x Asus 7970

Xtreme Member
    15db pump does not exist.
    30db is 3x as loud as 15db.

30db is quieter than a library.

The kind of pump you need will depend more on the restriction that is created by the blocks that you choose for your system. The less restriction the lower the need for pumping power, the less pumping power required, the less noise.

Xtreme Addict
    A D5 with some noise reducing material under it can be almost silent. It's pretty impressive just how quiet those pumps are compared to DDC's.

Thanks for the replies!, I did some resaerch today and organized this e-mail to frozenpc. The pump I can easily change to what was suggested here~ but I figure I give everyone a grasp of what I am working with here.

Code:
    Pump: Laing DDC Rev. 3.25
    Resivoir:  EK Dual Loop or XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir (Depending on needs)
    Radiator: XSPC RX360
    CPU Block: EK supreme Universal Nickel Block(for an I7 920 CPU)
    GPU Block: Danger Den DD GTX295 Block

My questions are,
    1.  Would a single loop suffice in this configuration with a single pump
    2.  If I need two loops, is the pump listed capable of this or would I need a second pump.
    3.  Can this radiator handle two loops if it is needed?
    4.  Besides the fans which are required for the radiator to cool properly, is there any other equipment necessary to set up my water cooling system.  Any specific tubes, or Tube grommets?  Any other parts I might be missing?

Xtreme Addict
    A single loop with a single pump would be fine for this, even with a single triple radiator is that is all you can fit.

One radiator for 2 loops doesn't really work. A separate loop is defined as having its own set of discrete components not shared with another loop. Sharing components usually diminishes the benefits for having a separate loop.

You'll need tubing and barbs. Lots to choose from.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAqua View Post
    A D5 with some noise reducing material under it can be almost silent. It's pretty impressive just how quiet those pumps are compared to DDC's.
    My DDC is dead silent. Not sure why people say the D5's are quieter than DDC's. It has a lot to do with how you mount the pumps and what type of top you put on them.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Xtreme Addict
    If you manage to mount your DDC pump in a way that it wont transmit any vibrations, it will definitely be quiet. The problem is, this can be troublesome in some cases. The D5 may offer an option because, if I remember correctly, it produces less vibrations than the DDC.
    Still, I prefer a DDC over the D5 because of the extra head pressure it offers.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Sounds good, I can figure out a way to reduce vibrations. They actually sell decent, thin material that does just that. On Amazon.com that is~

That basically answers all of my major worries outside of tubing and coolant but that is a battle for another day. Rome wasn't built in a day, nor will my water cooling system be.

Thanks for the help, though while I am at it I might as well show my proposed configuration just to see if I have the right idea.

CPU--->GPU---->radiator--->reservoir--->Pump--->Back to CPU.

Xtreme Guru
    DDC 35x is probably the quietest pump imo, check out martins ddc/d5 thread..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    Ok, well a better question should be.
    What hardware do you have already?
    I'm assuming you have the gtx 295, and your i7 setup.
    What case do you have? Do you plan to mount this externally or internally?
    What watercooling parts do you currently have?

Banned
    I am not sure why people say DDC are so loud. I leak test my cpu block outside the case on my kitchen table. I can't here the thing outside four feet.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    I am not sure why people say DDC are so loud. I leak test my cpu block outside the case on my kitchen table. I can't here the thing outside four feet.
    Because your PC is in most cases within that range.
    And I guess people dont support pump enough,thus vibrates, theres your noise.
    Cmndt. Eric Lassard: What is the most frustrating thing about police work?
    Tackleberry: Not being able to carry hand grenades, sir.

Xtreme Member
    A soggy sandwhich should help minimize your pump vibration/noise.
    /_/_/_ | Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz | Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Gigabyte EX58-UD5 | CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600 | 2 x ATI 4850 Crossfire Enabled | WD Velociraptor 300GB | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Corsair HX1000W | Antec P182 | _\_\_\

Never go full retard
    while a soggy sandwich may work, but will eventually stink... I think you meant a Shoggy sandwich.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    while a soggy sandwich may work, but will eventually stink... I think you meant a Shoggy sandwich.
    Maybe a roast beef soggy sandwich would but I think the acoustic properties of a grilled cheese wetted by tomato soup might actually work, without too much of a foul smell. Either way, I can't wait for the soggy sandwich review.

Xtreme Addict
    There won't be any review of the soggy sandwich. Reviewers get hungry eventually...
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    Mondays:

Xtreme Member
    My bad....I miss one letter and everyone just can't resist. lol

@ skinnee - thanks for catching that for me.
    /_/_/_ | Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz | Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Gigabyte EX58-UD5 | CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600 | 2 x ATI 4850 Crossfire Enabled | WD Velociraptor 300GB | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Corsair HX1000W | Antec P182 | _\_\_\

Xtreme Member
    If I recall, the ITT-Laing specification for noise is 34dBa from 2-feet away for the stock MCP350 10W@12VDC. BUT once an aftermarket top is added, that noise level is unpredictable.

If a person added a RES top to the stock pump, it behaves like a kitchen blender. We all know how a blender sounds with the swirling vortex. LOL

THIS PLUS EQUALS

THIS MAKES LOTS OF NOISE
    Last edited by bmaverick; 02-27-2011 at 11:49 AM.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump Maverick, BMaverick ... has a massive hoard of a Laing DDC pump stash

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmaverick View Post
    If I recall, the ITT-Laing specification for noise is 34dBa from 2-feet away for the stock MCP350 10W@12VDC. BUT once an aftermarket top is added, that noise level is unpredictable.

If a person added a RES top to the stock pump, it behaves like a kitchen blender. We all know how a blender sounds with the swirling vortex. LOL

THIS PLUS EQUALS

THIS MAKES LOTS OF NOISE
    umm there isnt a pump...

and if you don't want the noise use the XPSC Restop. no vortex

Xtreme Member
    You can buy a Ek plate for very cheap that prevents the vortex from happening or make your own.

Xtreme Member
    I have an EK-DDC X-RES 100 on a 350 with 1/2 in of padding on an open air case and the sound is minimal with NO vortex.
    I love that pump/res combo...
    System:1
    Banchetto
    I7 860 4.2Ghz | Asus Maximus III Formula | EVGA 2 GTX295's | 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator GT Ram @ 2000 8-9-8-24-1T | OCZ RevoDrive3 120Gb SSD | Barracuda 500Gb HDD

W/C System
    Apogee XT | EK-FC285 Nickel| Thermochill PA 120.3 | TFC Xtender Shrouds |DD Monsoon Premium D5 Dual Bay Reservoir | MCP655-B|Noctua NF-P12| HydrX | B*P Compression Fittings

System:2
    Sunbeamtech Ultra-Tech Station
    I7 875K 4.4Ghz | EVGA P55 LE | PNY Quadro FX4800 | 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator Ram @ 1600 8-8-8-24-2T | 2 OCZ Vertex2 60Gb SSD RAID 0 | Barracuda 500Gb HDD

W/C System
    Apogee XT | DD Koosah | 2 Thermochill PA 120.1 | TFC Xtender Shrouds | EK-DDC X-RES 100 | MCP350 | Noctua NF-P12 | Indigo Xtreme | HydrX | B*P Compression Fittings

System Videos

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by m_jones_ View Post
    You can buy a Ek plate for very cheap that prevents the vortex from happening or make your own.
    A better option would be to get a piece of special foam designed specifically for this problem. Those work better than the EK plate. I remember WL having a link to something like that, maybe he can help me out here .
    Mondays:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmaverick View Post

THIS MAKES LOTS OF NOISE
    i doubt you can even hear the swirling of the water over most blenders.... all i ever hear is the motor and the crunching of the ice. Now i want a pump that makes margaritas

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    A better option would be to get a piece of special foam designed specifically for this problem. Those work better than the EK plate. I remember WL having a link to something like that, maybe he can help me out here .
    The same foam they use in the new Swiftech mcp 35x res?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast