Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D11 secrets?

all outta gum
    Do you see www.xtremeimagequality.com at the top of the page?
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Quote Originally Posted by G.Foyle View Post
    Do you see www.xtremeimagequality.com at the top of the page?
    Doh I get it, but are you getting my point? If someone is looking JUST for the sake of comparison at the performance of a card, there should be a standard for comparison. Yes I get it, get max benchie score through driver tweaks. I simply think thats an easy way out and then others will make a million posts wondering why the card they have thats the same as yours isnt performing as good.
    CPU: Phenom II X4 940
    HSF: Rocketfish POS
    Mobo: DFI/Sapphire Pure 790X
    RAM: Mushkin 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066@400mhz (5-5-5-18)
    HDD1: Velociraptor 150GB
    HDD2/3: WD Caviar Blue 250GB/Seagate Barracuda 160GB
    Optical: Pioneer 215D
    Video: Asus 6950 2GB
    Audio: X-Fi Fatality Professonal
    Misc: Logitech G15/G5/Razer Piranha
    Case/PSU: TT Dokker/TT Toughpower XT 775W
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster BX2235
    Drivers: Newest

Admin
    Please play nice guys.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Doh I get it, but are you getting my point? If someone is looking JUST for the sake of comparison at the performance of a card, there should be a standard for comparison. Yes I get it, get max benchie score through driver tweaks. I simply think thats an easy way out and then others will make a million posts wondering why the card they have thats the same as yours isnt performing as good.
    Well.... all our scores are standardised within the same set of rules.

I suppose the most important question I could ask you is.... how can driver settings be enforced across thousands of results by hundreds of benchers who have never met each other? ?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Pie assassin
    Poci: what driver tweaks resulted in a noticable gain in points for you? AFIK 3DMark11 does not react to any driver tweaks. Just re-tested using 580 and saw no gains that I can attribute to tweaking with inspector. 40 points was what I saw but that was due to running the bench repeatedly and the inconsistancy of the benchmark.
    Last edited by ZenEffect; 08-01-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Brilliant Idiot
    My uber tweak, = swap out all my monitors for the one that scores the highest........yes I am killing my graphical experience by using crappy but high scoring monitors. Fear my 90LB ancient CRT people.
    Last edited by chew*; 08-01-2011 at 10:02 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post

I suppose the most important question I could ask you is.... how can driver settings be enforced across thousands of results by hundreds of benchers who have never met each other? ?
    Well, In the perfect benchie comparison utopia, I think we should all click the reset to factory defaults on ccc or nvidia control panel and then compare. OCage on the other hand is a differnt story, I get a bigger satisfaction from seeing my scores bump up from that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    Poci: what driver tweaks resulted in a noticable gain in points for you? AFIK 3DMark11 does not react to any driver tweaks. Just re-tested using 580 and saw no gains that I can attribute to tweaking with inspector. 40 points was what I saw but that was due to running the bench repeatedly and the inconsistancy of the benchmark.
    Actually I havent tweaked a driver for ages for benching, last time I tryed it just to see the difference was with prolly 3dmark 01 or 03....... And I did notice an improvment. But then I figured hmm, I could lower rez to 480 and min every posible quality setting to performance, but then I wouldnt be stressing my video, I would be stressing CPU.......

Well, you're asking everyone to give up free performance from a setting who's use can never be proven or disproven- you're asking for 100% global honesty and when there are rewards for the higher score, that won't happen.

Also, even if we overcome THAT, all nVidia and ATI have to do is adjust their driver settings and the default options.... and I hope you know as well as everyone else, they are more than happy to do that to improve review performance.

The idea is noble and transparent.... and totally unobtainable.
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

nVidia and ATI have to do is adjust their driver settings and the default options.... and I hope you know as well as everyone else, they are more than happy to do that to improve review performance.

I know very well both nvidia and ati have been doing that for ages. They do minor tweaks to the factory defaults usually to the textures setting for those few extra points.

Turkey Man
    You are spewing a load of crap, sorry to say it (actually..... no im not).
    But then again, there will be a mod coming along soon to say I shouldnt say that.
    In the meantime i will point out a significant flaw in your argument - comparison of hardware performance across different driver revisions.

I also note that your first ever post was in this thread - after 2 years.
    And your first post would be considered by many a trolling post.
    Maybe you can share what made you suddenly decide to point out after 2 years that driver adjustment is bad?
    Last edited by T_M; 08-02-2011 at 07:01 AM.

You are spewing a load of crap, sorry to say it (actually..... no im not).
    But then again, there will be a mod coming along soon to say I shouldnt say that.
    In the meantime i will point out a significant flaw in your argument - comparison of hardware performance across different driver revisions.

I also note that your first ever post was in this thread - after 2 years.
    And your first post would be considered by many a trolling post.
    Maybe you can share what made you suddenly decide to point out after 2 years that driver adjustment is bad?
    1st of all you do realize they just opened registration considering the 2 years.... it means I couldnt post.

As far as me spewing crap, I simply said that I know its true both ati and nvidia do tricks with their drivers for the benchie scores. How is that spewing crap? And I certainly can judge you should also know this already. I dont know what you consider trolling, but in my book its responses like what your giving me. My first post was in no way trolling and simply asking you all, what do you think of equal comparison playing fields. In any case, im looking at your sig right now, you should know what im talking about when it comes to what both nvidia and ati do to drivers to affect benchmark scores.

And I never said driver adjustment was bad, I said you could never acheive fair comparisons when one guy has his card tweaked one way and another guy with same card has it tweaked differently. What? you dont think I adjust my own drivers for gaming? I been doing that with rivatuner before nvidia control panel even gave us all the goodie options..... but benching is a differnt story...
    In the end responses like yours are only showing a y attitude to newcomers, and whats even funnier is that you somehow assume Im a n00b. So then when you first registered here were you a n00b too? Gimme a break. Dont be so ignorant.
    Last edited by Poci; 08-02-2011 at 03:30 PM.

What specific rules do you guys use? And as for your question, how can driver settings be enforced? Simple, convince people to click defaults and then bench.

http://hwbot.org/article/general_rules

Can't convince people to do something, when no-one will ever know they didn't do it.... sometimes, a benchmark ranking has too much hanging on it for the honourable thing to be at the forefront of peoples minds.

"Is this against the rules- yes, or no?" is sometimes the only question.... and the rules are mostly based on what can be *enforced*

This is not my personal opinion towards benchmarking.

But... I set GPU driver settings to highest performance, AA, AF off. I usually play FPS and... I don't stop to look at walls and marvel at how smooth the surfaces are.......
    Last edited by K404; 08-02-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    What specific rules do you guys use? And as for your question, how can driver settings be enforced? Simple, convince people to click defaults and then bench.
    No mipmap is really it. If you can adjust it in the driver panel offered by the manufacturers then it is generally considered a legit adjustment. If you want hardware comparisons with a gaming perspective then perhaps you should explore the Internet for websites that provide stock reviews. I hear there are many fine establishments out there.

Here we couldn't generally give a flying for image quality. I mean seriously.. in some benchmarks we're average thousands of FPS and rarely watching the screen. I just ran 3D11 and actually watched the benchmark for the first time this weekend. Looks like crap on default settings and I'd much rather be watching my thermometers/multimeters and the FPS indicator.

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    I just ran 3D11 and actually watched the benchmark for the first time this weekend. Looks like crap on default settings and I'd much rather be watching my thermometers/multimeters and the FPS indicator.
    wait, there is more than meters and fps counter?

poci: benching isnt always about pure hardware clocks, there is software, and a person involved as well all to total to a score. the fact that some people can run a benchmark faster due to their knowledge of the bench, operating system, drivers and hardware is what is fun about it. as much as id hate to say this, think of nascar. for the most part, all the cars are identical in spec, but the engineering team, pit crew, pit manager, driver etc all make the car faster to determine a winner. same goes with benchmarking. if it were left completely up to the hardware, then the richest people who overclock would dominate as it would become nothing more than a game of binning the best parts rather than tuning the system (its already more than half way there tbh... thanks intel )
    Last edited by ZenEffect; 08-02-2011 at 04:33 PM.

I don't stop to look at walls and marvel at how smooth the surfaces are.......
    Dude, I agree with you all that for benching there is no need for image quality. But in a gaming session itself Im not looking at walls, Im looking at bushes and mountain tops at a distance, and the higher the image quality the better chance my eye will have of seeing that sniper aiming at me.......

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    No mipmap is really it. If you can adjust it in the driver panel offered by the manufacturers then it is generally considered a legit adjustment. If you want hardware comparisons with a gaming perspective then perhaps you should explore the Internet for websites that provide stock reviews. I hear there are many fine establishments out there.

Here we couldn't generally give a flying for image quality. I mean seriously.. in some benchmarks we're average thousands of FPS and rarely watching the screen. I just ran 3D11 and actually watched the benchmark for the first time this weekend. Looks like crap on default settings and I'd much rather be watching my thermometers/multimeters and the FPS indicator.
    Yes I know, and I have been follow lord K1ngp1n for years and I know this is his "home"

Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    wait, there is more than meters and fps counter?

poci: benching isnt always about pure hardware clocks, there is software, and a person involved as well all to total to a score. the fact that some people can run a benchmark faster due to their knowledge of the bench, operating system, drivers and hardware is what is fun about it. as much as id hate to say this, think of nascar. for the most part, all the cars are identical in spec, but the engineering team, pit crew, pit manager, driver etc all make the car faster to determine a winner. same goes with benchmarking. if it were left completely up to the hardware, then the richest people who overclock would dominate as it would become nothing more than a game of binning the best parts rather than tuning the system (its already more than half way there tbh... thanks intel )
    Correct, but some of us would rather rely on fate for a lucky chip, plus ordering from the egg or an online store for example you get no choice of what batch your getting. Unless we go to a retail store and happen to allow the employees to let us inspect all the chips in stock at store to see which one suits our needs.

Brilliant Idiot
    Dude, I agree with you all that for benching there is no need for image quality. But in a gaming session itself Im not looking at walls, Im looking at bushes and mountain tops at a distance, and the higher the image quality the better chance my eye will have of seeing that sniper aiming at me.......
    This could not be more wrong.

Single player eye candy up, I like to see my wall textures.

Anyone who seriously plays multiplayer and or games competitively especially clans turns all the crap off for many reasons. Higher FPS. less trees which means you can see snipers way better than full eyecandy.

Bottom line professional gamers shut all the eye candy off, it's less distracting that way, some even go as far as to modify the .cfg to the min allowed without triggering anticheat, PB etc etc.

I am running 2 6990's and still run crap settings for multiplayer in BC2, I can see further I can see through trees and or the tree line is far more recessed exposing people who think they are hidden..........
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I am running 2 6990's and still run crap settings for multiplayer in BC2, I can see further I can see through trees and or the tree line is far more recessed exposing people who think they are hidden..........
    and that on your uber-CRT - that is close to cheating I would say - you are wasting your oc-skillz in gayming...bad chewie!

j/k as usual
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

Pie assassin
    Correct, but some of us would rather rely on fate for a lucky chip, plus ordering from the egg or an online store for example you get no choice of what batch your getting. Unless we go to a retail store and happen to allow the employees to let us inspect all the chips in stock at store to see which one suits our needs.
    Getting a lucky chip requires alot of "fate." Thats the reason why we tune, for example there are only a handful of 5.8+ 2600k, and even less 5.9. as far as 6.0 goes, you can count them on one hand. Alot of times you have to play the hand you were delt. I havent been able to pick a batch since the Q6600 days, and even then, my options were extremely limited. In a way we all rely on fate, but we also rely on ourselves to keep things competitive.

Xtreme Member
    I've never had trouble picking a batch at Microcenter (at least the one near me in Columbus)

On the topic of driver changes, I mean shouldn't/wouldn't you also have to ban stripped OSes, etc as well? Specific service packs, builds, etc? It's just not possible. And without a video every time of the person hitting default settings then benching you are completely on the honor code to not go back and change to defaults before screenshotting. The tweaking is 50% of the fun imo - it is boring to just sit there and go 'oh, that's as far as it goes, OKAY -- WTS GTX 580'
    Last edited by Janus67; 08-04-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12