Thread: Need Easy Sleeving Solution

Xtreme Guru

Need Easy Sleeving Solution

im lazy. i know there are premade sleevings, etc, however, not sure i can use the original wires too, as there doesnt seem to be enough room. ideas?

"Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Chasing After Diety
    u missed my post on that other thread huh?

now u want me to get a spanking from shazza even more? BLAH... brb lemme move that post here and delete it in WL's

like this:

You see how all my psu cables go around the psu... (except your going to hug yours more... this was a unfinished picture)

Move your hd rack ontop of your optical drive, and use that part where your hd's are as a wire distribution nexus.

From there go under your board, and out the side to where it needs to be plugged.

This way u can buy some mesh, and cover that bottom portion up if it bothers u that much.

Ummm... there is only one way you build a rack tho.. the troll in me says if i say it, shazza and all the other rack owners are gonna pwn me..
    But the key elem is Symmetry.

I dont think i need to say anymore. :T

As for your rear SATA rack and cables, go from behind the case, though your empty PCI slots in the rear, and then around the controller to the SATA plugs.

And ummm would you like me to hold your hand and a flash light while your doing all that i ask too?
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 02-21-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Guru
    Move your hd rack ontop of your optical drive, and use that part where your hd's are as a wire distribution nexus.
    good idea. i have a fan that screws onto the front of my rack for the HDD though, it hooks into that standoff you see there below them...there are two standoffs and i use them to keep these blacks cool.

From there go under your board
    dont believe there is enough clearance between the board and the base for these cables. they are too fat. measuring with my calipers shows this isnt possible. no way im gonna pinch them in there

As for your rear SATA rack and cables, go from behind the case, though your empty PCI slots in the rear, and then around the controller to the SATA plugs.
    the sata cable for the HDD and optical drives will definitely go under the mobo now. great idea!
    the red ones coming out the front are sas-sata cables. the reason they are going out the front is that is where the ports are, on the edge of the card facing forward. the card reaches to the edge of the mobo. part of the reasoning on having them go out the front is that when i pull the HDD and the CD drive up front out of the case, i can pull the SSD rack out in one whole unit. all 8 ssd power and data cords have their own wires so that the whole unit can come out. i use this for firmware changes and for wiping the disks for sanitary erase. cant SE while they are on the controller.

interesting ideas though, i might just pull that CD drive out. who uses those things anyways anymore?

i think there is no easy answer in my specific situation. might just have to bite the bullet and sleeve the damn things.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Xtreme Mentor
    There is always room. And time. Buy new connectors and wires, you can do the Sata pass through for power to the drives.

It's kinda just doing it. If it's your main rig and no backup, then there isn't enough time.

Every rig and it's owner is different. Different levels of 'want' and 'ability'. The first time won't be as good as your 10th time doing real high end wire management.

Just do it. Or don't.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Addict
    Ha ha Naekuh giving a lesson on cable management. What's next, photography tips?

If you don't want to take the time to sleeve the cables at least bunch them up. You could get some larger diameter sleeving and put them all in one sleeve, might look better. If you don't like the look of wires going everywhere in all different colors, then make them the same color and bunch them up.

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by blueaqua View Post
    ha ha naekuh giving a lesson on cable management. What's next, photography tips?

Xtreme Guru
    Really no such thing as "easy" sleeving. Zip ties do work good with cleaning up the clutter.

Also if all you are worried about is the multi-colored cables, there is also colored electrical tape that you can use. If you take your time wrapping the cables it won't look bad and won't be as time consuming as sleeving is.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Guru
    well i have an ST-1200 i can throw on the rig for awhile. it is my backup PSU. i also have a 24/7 rig though so it doesnt matter. it is good for gaming and really everything.
    guess i really just have to listen to conumdrum on this one:

Just do it. Or don't.
    alright i guess im doing it see sometimes kicking someone in the ass is good to motivate them. slap me next time!

so i guess that im off to dangals thread
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    dont believe there is enough clearance between the board and the base for these cables. they are too fat. measuring with my calipers shows this isnt possible. no way im gonna pinch them in there
    Thats why u buy those extensions. So you can split the wires up and go under the board or spread the wires out and pull off a upside down peac0ck look as it comes from under the board.

and to get some wires under the board, you may have to unmount the board a little and lift it so you can bring the wire in.

As for the SATA cables... go out the rear bottom 120mm hole, and then go into the PCI slots from the rear to the ports on the arc card direct.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAqua View Post
    Ha ha Naekuh giving a lesson on cable management. What's next, photography tips?
    :P

Im not nils or charles, but i think i can build them fairly clean.

Now photography lesson... BYOCP... bring your own camera phone!~
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 02-21-2011 at 04:27 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    Now photography lesson... BYOCP... bring your own camera phone!~
    But only if it flashes .

Back to cable management: If you look at neatly managed cases, whether sleeved or not, you notice they have one thing in common: set securing points. Almost every mod with decent cable management uses at least 10-20 clamps to keep the cables in place. I think that would be a good place to start. Whether you use actual clamps, or go NaeKuh style and ziptie the entire thing, that's up to you of course .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Very hard to "hide" the wiring in a Torture Rack or similar build. The other approach is to make the cabling the focal point ... it takes a lot of time, and only you can decide if it's worth the effort. Ideal is to use a fully modular power supply, or cut cables to custom lengths (and ditch the ones you don't need).

My blue smurf build did not have as many components as yours does, but this was the approach I took:

Xtreme Guru
    jesus christ that is beautiful. that is what i envision except with red. man that is awesome i just cant stop staring at it. i may make that my desktop background for inspiration.
    dammit the pic isnt high enough res LOL. now you went and screwed up my desktop

so tell me if you dont mind me boring you with noob questions....did you use the same cables your PSU came with? just modded them?
    cause my PSU is fully modular. i can just pull cables off and do them when i have time. or maybe just do cables but keep the old ones for if i ever sell it. dunno. also, they look rather 'flowing' but mine are rather stiff. are they really stiff?
    "Lurking" Since 1977

I am Xtreme
    Pretty sure the ST-1500 and ST-1200 share the same cables. So if you have an ST-1200 laying around unused just sleeve the cables in your spare time. There is no quick and easy way around it though. If you want it done right it takes considerable amount of time. You may even find it enjoyable. I've sleeved 7-8 power supplies and personally I find it very soothing as well as a good way to waste time.

EDIT: The cables are stiffer but still very movable when needed.

barfastic
    my brother tinted the bottom half of his acrylic torture rack.... worked wonders to hiding cables! and it looks pretty mean!

so tell me if you dont mind me boring you with noob questions....did you use the same cables your PSU came with? just modded them?
    cause my PSU is fully modular. i can just pull cables off and do them when i have time. or maybe just do cables but keep the old ones for if i ever sell it. dunno. also, they look rather 'flowing' but mine are rather stiff. are they really stiff?
    Mine was the Corsair HX620 ... the cables were a bit stiff to begin with, but once the wires are separated and sleeved separately, they could be "arranged." I used the cables that came with the PSU, cutting them to the lengths I wanted, then sleeved them. I also experimented a bit, sheathing the individual wires with matching heatshrink before sleeving (I found they were too thick to place under the mobo tray with full sleeving). Ideally, I should have completely replaced the wires because it wasn't possible to get all the twists out of the original ones, which wouldn't have shown if fully sleeved. In yours, I'd probably just sleeve them fully, and bring the 24-pin out of the bottom and loop it into the connector (rather than trying to bring it through the tray). I found it easier to separate the 24-pin wires into 3 bundles coming out of the PSU, rather than using one large 24-pin bundle. But, if yours is fully modular, that part won't be relevant.

It's personal preference as to how much you try to clamp or tie down the sleeved cables. Since the Torture Rack is so open, I decided to go for a more natural look. The stiffness of the wires actually helps a bit when you go this route.

Xtreme Guru
    Since u're lazy, like me, i found this to be the best thing to tide things up...

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...Path=44_32_655

Otherwise go down the road of insanity... ehh i mean sleeving...
    Last edited by JoeBar; 02-22-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity