Thread: BMW Vision ConnectedDrive

Xtreme X.I.P.

BMW Vision ConnectedDrive

Xtreme Addict
    No, but you'll be screwed if we have a solar storm or an EMP goes off. Just about every part of that entire car would have to be replaced. hahaha
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtremeish
    Yes because EMP's are really common and cars today have almost no electronics either, right? ^^

BMW can make it as flash as possible, but the drive-train and the combustion engine it has is still "ancient" tech. That amount of lights looks kinda Tronish, but still a bit on the silly side.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    The point went right by you didn't it? My point was there are SOO many electronics on that car, you'd be seriously f'ed if anything screwed them up like an EMP or a major solar storm... cause that entire car is nothing BUT electronics... they cover over half the car. Does insurance even cover something like that!?
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtremeish
    My opinion on your point also flew straight pass you, cause your proposed scenario really is no threat... I mean an EMP from a super solar flare which has to be perfect or from terrifying terrorists! Herp de derp.

And you really think in case of an EMP that the insurance companies would even have the slightest chance of paying back from the absolutely silly insane amount of damage that would cause?

Last post, wont contribute to a complete derailing.

(I did get your point, after I had posted, but still think the scenarios you gave are to far fetched hence no edit. Also there really aren't any likely phenomena left that would wreck the electronics system of the car the same except for something which would damage the rest of the car just as heavily. Like fire, crash etc.)
    Last edited by Kallenator; 02-21-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    I'm lightheartedly making fun of how overtaken that car is by electronics....

Xtremeish
    I actually thought you where like seriousish, my bad.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm starting to agree now... its like an icar. I would never want something like that. I've heard horror stories from mechanics and owners of BMW's, because of how often things go wrong with the electronics. Sounds like a nightmare. And of course you KNOW there's going to be some ridiculous overpriced DVD that you have to buy from the dealership to update everything.

I'm starting to develop more and more appreciation for older cars that didn't have so many electronics. I get it, they make the car safer, more fun to drive, handle better, more eco friendly, etc... but they also cause a lot of headaches, are costly to repair when they fail (which is a lot), make the car heavier and more expensive. I guess its a trade off. I like modern cars, not saying I don't... I just think they need to know when to draw the line. This... is waaay past the line

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    No, but you'll be screwed if we have a solar storm or an EMP goes off. Just about every part of that entire car would have to be replaced. hahaha
    You're worried about EMP and solar storms going off and only ruining a car? If we were to have one of those events on a big enough scale to ruin your car, believe me, you'll have far worse and far more major problems with other things in your life you rely on. Stop watching so much TV.

Electronics are the only reason modern cars are even worth owning. We'd still be getting crappy underperforming and gas thirsty cars without them. There is no need to fear them, I am a mechanic and have been for over 20 years and the worst possible cars for electronics are pre OBD2 cars. With newer and more modern electronics we get cars that are far easier to work on and diagnose. Even wiring issues are far easier to diagnose now. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Modern cars and electronics fail far far less than older. You're not even considering the sheer amount of cars made now compared to the older more simple cars.

Lenove T420i i5 2530/16gb/64gbMSSD/500GB/PE4H running a 660GTX gaming on 24" LCD
    3DMARK FIRESTORM

Xtreme Addict
    Okay, AGAIN, I was lightheartedly making fun of the fact... you know what, never mind. Read farther down than my first thread. I'm not explaining it again. Learn to read.

Also, explain to me why everyone my family has ever known who's bought a NEW German car, always has problems with it... usually electronics. Our neighbor has had that problem with all her BMW's but she keeps buying them (sucker for punishment). I told her to go look at another brand if she's having so many problems with BMW... but she bought one anyway, and its already been in the shop 3 times since she bought it last year for electrical problems. No I don't know what they were exactly, and no I'm not asking her. Happens with everyone we know who buys a new BMW or a Mercedes. Nothing but problems and costly tune ups and little things that need work that eventually bleed their wallet dry. This is why I'll never EVER buy one. Don't tell me I'm wrong, these are real things that have happened to many people me and my family have all known, including a few relatives.

My uncle Harvey did love his outback though, he said it was a great car and nothing was ever wrong with it... which is usually what I hear about Jap cars. They eventually got a Lincoln from the company he works for, and they sold it. They seem to like that car but I took one look at it and instantly hated it. The door handles felt like cheap plastic, the entire interior felt like cheap plastic... and I didn't like the way the interior was laid out in the least. Completely hated it. Its one of those sport SUVs. Don't remember the name, but they love it.... for some reason.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 02-24-2011 at 03:16 PM.

X. I. P.
    We'd still be getting crappy underperforming and gas thirsty cars without them.
    Performance and fuel economy are no stranger to older vehicles. Case in point, my '78 VW Dasher Diesel. With 48 hp, it was no street racer, but I got 42 mpg on the highway and the ability to maintain 70 mph under any but Alpine conditions. It performed well and sipped fuel better than most current vehicles using almost NO electronics.

I'm certain it didn't meet *today's* emission standards, but serves as a response to your rather blanket statement that electronics make the vehicle perform better and cure fuel wasting.

Electronics DO work in a CAFE environment, don't get me wrong. But are they essential (sans political requirements)? I think not.
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."