Thread: XtremeLabs.org Snowflake (simple SS project)

Champion

XtremeLabs.org Snowflake (simple SS project)

Hi guys!
    Decided to share the info about my first SS build here -) I'm quite new to phase-change though I've read much info about it. Decided to 'get rid' of some unused components and make a system which would cool down the SB below zero (that would be a good opportunity concerning that recently LN2 became very expensive in Kiev).
    Planned to spend as little money as possible for this system (not calculating the stuff I already have).

Components:
    - Aspera NE2125E compressor;
    - LuVe STFT 14 1 21 condenser with quite noisy native fan;
    - 2 Shradders; simple dryer filter;
    - copper tube of variable diameters; captube 0.8 mm;
    - some R22;
    - previously used evap built years ago by my friend
    List of main instruments: propane-oxygene burner, pipe-cutter, tube-expander, some solder and flux.

I wanted to create a small and cute system, shiny one, not ghetto like this:

Evap:

Compressor has been used earlier by another noobish SS builder who used lead to solder tubes

It should be pretty small, yepp?

Some tubes, handbended -)

Used an old filter to make the desuperheater:

Soldering was not a problem (except 'fighting' with that ghetto evap).

Black and white should be stylish, I suppose:

There is a thermoprobe wire under the sleeve:

Some insulation (K-flex only):

That handle present on the pic should make the system carriage much more convenient.

First tests on SB clocked to 5500 MHz showed that evap's temp is approx. -40 C idle, -25-30 loaded with single-thread applications. Full load caused the temp to increase to -5 C.
    Good enough still

Some technical data:
    - idle pressure ~4,6 bar;
    - high-pressure line when working ~10-11 bar;
    - suction 1(+/-0,5) bar;

Unfortunately this is not the end, and later I will explain why. Have to clear out everything at first

P.S. Sorry for the technical terms, it is still hard for me to operate with them correctly in English, so some help and fixed would be fine

Regards, cyclone
    Last edited by -cyclone-; 02-20-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice build, but your schraeder valve near the condensor should not point downwards because then it will fill up with oil.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Nice build, but your schraeder valve near the condensor should not point downwards because then it will fill up with oil.
    the pipe is too small to accommodate much oil, and I seldom use this shradder, only for setups when fill the system with gas so it shouldn't really matter. Upwards could damage the overall design -)
    Correct me if I'm mistaken.
    Of course valve with long pipe wouldn't be soldered this way.

Anyway I'm thinking about desoldering the high-pressure line valve at all. Don't really need it any more, after finding the optimal charge/pressure combination. There will be some more improvements in the system so I'll have an opportunity to get rid of it -)
    Last edited by -cyclone-; 02-20-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Champion
    That was not the end guys -)
    Old suction made me angry - that's why it was thrown away. New one:

Insulated, with seam holder for more safety:

Added permanent manometer for HP line:

Looong suction -) At least longer than it was before.

Evap temp (bottom), fully idle (30 sec after switching PC off - didn't want to wait for another 2 C):

Nehalem D0 (920). 4.5 GHz, 1,475 V. 2 cores, 2 threads idle (I believe it is something like C2D at 5+ GHz and 1.6-1.7 V):

Burn (long wprime):

Same clocks & volts, 4 cores & 8 threads active. Idle:

Burn:

Too bad? Don't ask impossible things from Aspera NE2125E -))) I can make better temps at high loads but then I get the compressor filled in with liquid gas. Need the unit for long and stable work, not phase-change records. So safety first.
    Ayway better than my stock Vapo LS - it flies away into above-zero temps with the same 4C-8T CPU loaded. And this unit works much quieter than Vapochill. And yes, now Snowflake is better than recently with old ghetto-evap. Now I use my own XtremeLabs.org XtremEvaps, simple steppers with some soldering improvements -)

Only 10-11 bar HP at max loads:

Compressor is 40-44 C during benchies. Discharge line close to it - 60 C max.

Finally I'm almost satisfied with this unit.

-150c Club Member
    Really well done for one of your first units, fits it all to the T. Gotta love a good DIY.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Champion
    Thanks n00b! Every opinion and/or advice is important.

Tried Snowflake on Radeon 9800 XT GPU while benched for HWBOT OCC March 2011:

I definitely like long suctions -)
    benched the card with partially burned Vgpu circuit so no records for today :/ In the morning it could do 550+ MHz@air | AM2NF3VSTA@Vcpu | 9800XT@Vgpu,OCP,Vddr,Vddq | Asetek VapoLS + XtremeLabs.org Snowflake SS | Thanks Kingston for their continuous support.
    concerning upthings this was not the maximum load from this card Evap's temps were around -25-22 C.

-150c Club Member
    Just be careful how you move that especially when cold.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Just be careful how you move that especially when cold.
    yup, I know that, thanks!