Thread: Thinking of adding a drain port - help me decide where!

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!

Question Thinking of adding a drain port - help me decide where!

Hey internet, I'm indecisive again, please tell me what to do!

I have a relatively simple loop built around a vertical floor-mounted Laing D5 with a res-top on it. To make my build easy to understand, I've made a few diagrams.

So, here's what it looks like currently:

(different tubing color isn't significant in any way, just made it easier to see where the tubing crosses)

I've two options I'm thinking about with a drain port:

V1

or:

V2

The physical layout of the components is actually similar to the diagram too, although the radiator can easily be flipped upside-down, so that the barbs are close to the bottom and could provide another spot where I can easily put a drain port. The main difference between V1 and V2 is that in the first one (same as it is currently), the reservoir acts as a giant T-line, while in V2 it would actually act as a return point for the water.

Anyway, which one do you think is better, V1 or V2? Or something else entirely? Also, reason(s) why?
    Last edited by iddqd; 02-19-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

I am Xtreme
    The first option seems better for me.
    That way you won't have water trapped in your GPU (pump helps with that, though).
    I also don't like the way fillport is involved in the second loop, might decrease performance... But not sure.
    Last edited by zalbard; 02-19-2011 at 03:43 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    what about putting a QDC on your fill tube. Then when u want to drain, unplug the QDC and rotate the whole pump/res assembly over, dumping out the side of the case, into a bucket.
    Intel Q6600 L727A 3.2GHz (8*400 @ 1.35v)
    Asus Maximus Formula
    2X2gb Gskill DDRII-1000
    XFX 5870
    WD 150Gb Raptor and Maxtor 250Gb DiamondMax10
    2X Samsung DVD-RW DL SATA
    Silverstone OP850
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Xtreme (lapped)
    Thermaltake Armor
    thats it, and proud of it.
    Heatware: pby5cat

Xtreme Addict
    the fill port has a plug, so just turning the case upside-down will work, but is extremely awkward. And I still need a drainage opening somewhere to let the air in.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    the fill port has a plug, so just turning the case upside-down will work, but is extremely awkward. And I still need a drainage opening somewhere to let the air in.
    You have it...it's called removing a plug from the GPU block.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    for some reason, i'm starting to like the 2nd version a lot more :\...

The blocks in my loop are EK HF Supreme and EK 5870 block (neither is particularly restrictive), and i think the D5 @ speed 5 is strong enough to make the water return to the reservoir.

The main advantage in this setup is the reservoir actually acts as one, and helps me bleed a freshly filled loop much faster. The other advantage is I think it looks cleaner. What if I add a valve above the T-joint, like so?:

Sigs are obnoxious.

I am Xtreme
    If you are going to use a pump top, you can do it like this

Then all you do is open the drain and unscrew the top of the res and it will drain.

Xtreme Addict
    mine's not set up like that at all. the diagrams i posted are actually a fairly accurate representation of how it looks, but here:

also, i don't want it to drain onto the floor of my case. LOL.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Mentor
    Just put a T port on the outlet of the pump. One of the two outlets continues to the tubing just like it is now and the other you attach a QD male fitting to it. Then using a piece of tubing with a female QD you can drain your system and then disconnect the drain essentially.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    that's what i wanted to do, (except a T on the intake), but now I'm thinking I want to re-arrange my loop a little to make it easier to bleed.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

I am Xtreme
    My fault, I misread your initial post. I thought you were in design mode.

Xtreme Addict
    I also would put a T on the pump outlet, since that is the bottom-most part of your loop. As for draining, you can use the previously mentioned idea of a QD. I personally would probably use a 1/2" x 3/8" x 1/2" Pex T, and use a simple rubber vacuum hose cap on the 3/8" drain barb (any auto parts store has vacuum hose caps). When you want to drain, you just put a funnel with some tubing connected to it under the vacuum cap, then slowly open up your fillport to control how fast your fluid drains out.

PEX 1/2" x 3/8" x 1/2" tee

Vacuum Cap

Last edited by voigts; 02-28-2011 at 04:41 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I think I've got the drain port figured out. Now I just want to know if there are any problems with the changed loop layout (draining the GPU block into the res, and feeding the pump from the res)... will the valve even be necessary?
    Sigs are obnoxious.