Thread: Are these temperatures normal?

Xtreme Member

Are these temperatures normal?

I know this is a stupid question to ask since I'm slightly behind the latest tech, but are my temperatures normal?

I just have a Black Ice SR1 quad rad with 4 Gentle Typhoons at 1850RPM for my two GTX 480's (Yes, I know) and a Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0Ghz (1.375v). I'm going to be putting on a motherbord block very shortly for the E760 as this motherboard gets really stupidly hot.

My temps on the i7 at idle are around 34-39C, and under most normal computer games 50c, however stress testing and GTA 4 can raise that to a very warm 70C.

The 480's are normally very good, idle they sit at 40 and in game they never really go above 50, but in GTA4 they can do 60, sometimes 70. I don't even think they get that hot on Furmark.

My question is this; am I nitpicking too much or can I expect more? The air that gets thrown out of the rad is still pretty warm and easily makes my room 10F-15F hotter than the rest of the house, and I want something that isn't going to bake me in the summer. I was thinking of doing a single loop for the i7 920 and the motherboard block while having the 480's on the quad rad, how would that affect temperatures? Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Thanks!
    Watercooled Murdermod Silverstone TJ07
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz
    eVGA 480 GTX SLI
    8.5TB (1x Seagate 1TB 7200.12, 2x Hitachi 3TB, 1x Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11)
    Corsair AX1200 PSU All Custom Cables
    Westinghouse 24" 1920x1200
    Windows 7

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Your temperatures are normal, just what one would expect with such a setup.
    The dual loop vs single loop has been debated a lot, i would suggest trying to find Gabe's threads about that he did an excellent work providing full data and tests.

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Member
    Low FPI rad with high (relatively) speed fans? Try a tighter finned radiator that will properly take advantage of those fans like a HWL GTX or a ThermoChill for some improvement in temps.
    Water
    Air

WC: EK Supreme HF | EK FC-6970 | 2x DDC 3.25 | EK DDC Dual V2 | EK Res X2 250 | TFC X-Changer 480

Quote Originally Posted by nvmc View Post
    Low FPI rad with high (relatively) speed fans? Try a tighter finned radiator that will properly take advantage of those fans like a HWL GTX or a ThermoChill for some improvement in temps.

Looks like only about 1c differnece. Not really worth the cost to swap imo
    CPU: I7 980X @4500 EK Supreme HF
    MOBO: ASUS Rampage III EK FB RE3
    RAM: Super Talent DDR3 2133 @1806 7-7-6-17 1T
    Video: GTX580 Tri Sli @ 925/2050 -EK FC580
    Case: Danger Den Custom DoubleWide
    PSU: Silverstone 1500
    SSD: 3x Intel X25M 160 G2 Raid 0
    LCD: Dell 30" 3007
    H20: Dual D5 Pumps, EK SLi Serial, BP Pump Top, BP Pump Cover, Frozen Q Reservoir, Lamptron FC2, 3x Blackice GTX 480's 2x Blackice GTX 360's

Banned
    Those temperatures are ok, maybe a wee bit high. Two off those GPUs can easily take care of of tripple. So that leaves the CPU with not much head room. Adding more rad might drop your temps a degree or two but prolly not worth the effort.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes just changing the radiator will be much hassle for very little result at all.
    Only answer is, MORE RADIATORS (now where is the Spartaa smiley that Waterlogged brought up)

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Member
    -only [[easily makes my room 10F-15F hotter than the rest of the house]] my air temps going to the external rads were 29-32c in a room [8x10'] that started out @ 21c
    -I just cut a cold air return[4x10"] in the floor behind the computer with a booster fan[in duct with a 12v relay on-off with computer pwr] to pull the heat dump to the basement ,worked well , but then figured why not move the heat source out of the room now that I have a hole in my oak floor so I moved my 2 x 320's [+1] downstairs\under floor[with second pump] .water temps 25c under load so far not a lot of testing yet.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm pulling air from the inside of the case through the rad out the side panel, would be pulling fresh air into the rad from outside the case be better?

And I know the answer is always MORE RAD, and I was thinking of putting a 1x120 or 2x120 down there to help cope with the O/C i7, the question would be would be even if it's not its own loop, would throwing another rad help drop temps any? It'd effectively would be 6x120, or am I missing the point completely?
    Watercooled Murdermod Silverstone TJ07
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz
    eVGA 480 GTX SLI
    8.5TB (1x Seagate 1TB 7200.12, 2x Hitachi 3TB, 1x Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11)
    Corsair AX1200 PSU All Custom Cables
    Westinghouse 24" 1920x1200
    Windows 7

Banned
    Yes, another radiator would drop your temps some, but it wont be a drastic. If you don't have a push pull config then add some spare fans and see what happens. If you don't have any lying around your best bet is another rad. What is your ambient? ith 22c 65 would be decent load temps. Your ambient might just be high.
    Last edited by matari; 02-18-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietKitsch View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm pulling air from the inside of the case through the rad out the side panel, would be pulling fresh air into the rad from outside the case be better?

And I know the answer is always MORE RAD, and I was thinking of putting a 1x120 or 2x120 down there to help cope with the O/C i7, the question would be would be even if it's not its own loop, would throwing another rad help drop temps any? It'd effectively would be 6x120, or am I missing the point completely?
    You do know your room temps won't change one teeny bit with more rad?

Your temps are fine as is, you could do better with more rad though. If you add a rad, do the heatload and DT math to see how much your DT drops.

For example, if your have a 120x3 and your DT is 10C and you add a 120x1 your DT will drop by about 2.5 C, possibly a bit less.

DT calculations
    http://www.overclockers.com/guide-deltat-water-cooling/
    and Skinneelabs.com are your friend.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by gmat View Post
    Yes just changing the radiator will be much hassle for very little result at all.
    Only answer is, MORE RADIATORS (now where is the Spartaa smiley that Waterlogged brought up)

You mean this?

Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Guru
    If you really want a better delta i'd say Dual loop + more rad surface, wont yield you much better results but atleast you'll be closer to ambients if anything..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?