Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD CEO Denies Smartphone Plans, Slates Tablet Attack for 2012

Xtreme Addict

AMD CEO Denies Smartphone Plans, Slates Tablet Attack for 2012

AMD interim chief executive officer Thomas Seifert said Wednesday night that the company has no plans to enter the smartphone space at the present time, and the company was not developing a baseband chip.

And if AMD has a tablet plan in place it won't be until 2012, Seifert added.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380495,00.asp

looks like the same as before Meyers was booted? but notice how he said that they have new teams to address new avenues?
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Guru
    Well this sucks, thought by now everyone would be investing in mobile/tablets ><

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Addict
    Branching out is an investment risk ... it's even higher risk if venturing to a new field

Xtreme Addict
    AMD said a baseband chip, not that there couldnt be a really low power general processing chip that could be used in a phone or tablet.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

I am Xtreme
    I still don't believe in tablets...
    I really don't understand what AMD is doing. Their actions don't seem thought through.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Netbooks were all the rage just two years ago, now where are they? That's right, replaced pretty much with tablets. Something new will come along in a few years and replace tablets and AMD will have missed that gravy train as well. They should focus on what they know and stick to it.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I bet tablets will be a quickly fading fad. They aren't naturally comfortable, you can't 'relax' with one as easy as you can with a laptop because there's too much hand movement compared to a trackpad on a laptop, or at least that was my experience. People want to be lazier, not have to work a little harder than they would otherwise have to.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by flippin_waffles View Post
    I bet tablets will be a quickly fading fad. They aren't naturally comfortable, you can't 'relax' with one as easy as you can with a laptop because there's too much hand movement compared to a trackpad on a laptop, or at least that was my experience. People want to be lazier, not have to work a little harder than they would otherwise have to.
    i like the dell one with a flip screen, its a laptop when you need it, and its a tablet when you need it. but that does come at a cost im sure, either in a much higher weight for a tablet, or a much higher price than other tablets

but basically netbooks use to do almost nothing, are now up there with notebooks, and tablets have filled in the gap between cellphones and netbooks. and i think its a failure to start in the middle. let the cellphone chips evolve into enough power for a tablet, or let the netbook chips shrink into enough efficiency for a tablet. but starting in the middle will just give you overlapping products.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I guess after tablet, the market will be focusing to laptop again; but of course, probably the future laptops could offer comparable computational power to desktop and much longer lasting battery life than present laptop in the market.

Xtreme Guru
    I'm using a tablet at work these days and I can promise you, this isn't a fad. IMO, there is no better device for certain lines of work when it comes to quick sketching, on-the-fly presentation and note-taking.

There is a saying "sometime it's best not to say anything at all" and I think this applies here as AMD has demonstrated how behind the curve they have been for the last several years. They sold their handset division to Qualcomm, effectively stopping development on the Imageon line. Meanwhile, Xilleon was sold off to Broadcom which put AMD behind the nine ball in the rapidly emerging "smart TV" market.

To see that AMD still lacks a cohesive plan to get into a market that was quickly emerging three years ago is seriously disturbing.

Xtreme Addict
    I bet tablets will be a quickly fading fad. They aren't naturally comfortable
    They are the book formfactor. You're out of your mind.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    I'm using a tablet at work these days and I can promise you, this isn't a fad. IMO, there is no better device for certain lines of work when it comes to quick sketching, on-the-fly presentation and note-taking.

There is a saying "sometime it's best not to say anything at all" and I think this applies here as AMD has demonstrated how behind the curve they have been for the last several years. They sold their handset division to Qualcomm, effectively stopping development on the Imageon line. Meanwhile, Xilleon was sold off to Broadcom which put AMD behind the nine ball in the rapidly emerging "smart TV" market.

To see that AMD still lacks a cohesive plan to get into a market that was quickly emerging three years ago is seriously disturbing.
    yup, especially imageon was quite successful around 2006 and they sold less than 80m

biggest mistake they did since 2006
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    They are the book formfactor. You're out of your mind.
    IMO, the tablet market is a lot like the 3D market. Once the novelty wears off, interest will start to fall.

The entire landscape can look completely different in 6 months. Even if it doesn't, there sure won't be enough room in that relatively small market for 4 or 5 players fighting for thin margins.

[edit]

However, I do agree that if AMD had not sold off Imageon and Xilleon, they may very well have owned that market right now. I wonder if Dirk was on the side of selling of those bits and had to take one for the team for not being able to predict 2 years into the future in a world that changes overnight.
    Last edited by flippin_waffles; 02-17-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here's a pretty revealing article, with some performance and power indications for Llano. For what they're testing, it outperforms galloping girdie and uses 10-20W less.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/02/.../?mod=yahoo_hs

Xtreme Addict

ATI definitely had it right then. Yay Canada!
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    I think tablets are here to stay. Not to replace the PC/Laptop altogether but as an additional device for convenient media consumption.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I think tablets are here to stay. Not to replace the PC/Laptop altogether but as an additional device for convenient media consumption.
    I agree, for media consumption tablets will probably do really well. At any rate, it's not like AMD is missing out on a ground floor opportunity here no matter what happens with tablets, and they are pretty well positioned either way. If tablets take off, they should have the x86 tablet market sewn up, especially when they get to 28nm next year.

Xtreme Addict
    Tablets are around to stay. They can be used for so many things, just a portable screen with a computer built in, sounds pretty good to me. I never cared for netbooks, just seemed like a cheap laptop, but there are a lot of high quality tablets that look interesting.

I still don't see myself using a tablet, but can see many good uses for them.

Xtreme Guru
    im in love with my ipad!!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    Tablets are awesome. The iPad is a great first try. Hopefully Android 3.0 brings in what the iPad is missing: USB support, a real file system and a real file manager and being able to use the device WITHOUT iTunes!!!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 445533 View Post
    Tablets are awesome. The iPad is a great first try. Hopefully Android 3.0 brings in what the iPad is missing: USB support, a real file system and a real file manager and being able to use the device WITHOUT iTunes!!!
    new iPad is gonna be USD ready also

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I think in 2012 we will see an amazing new fad, tablets... WITH KEYBOARDS!!!!

Amd has new teams? Maybe dedicated at finding somebody to buy the company? Lol

Xtreme Addict
    I am starting to hope some company (ANY company) really does buy AMD so they can then sack the whole AMD 'management' (mis) team

Not that I profess to being an expert in anything but jeeez even most tech heads who know a lot more than I would agree that AMD have lost their way
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    I am starting to hope some company (ANY company) really does buy AMD so they can then sack the whole AMD 'management' (mis) team

Not that I profess to being an expert in anything but jeeez even most tech heads who know a lot more than I would agree that AMD have lost their way
    well that is kind of where the board was going with meyers, but they cant do anything now other than redirect resources to fill these markets in the future.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    I think in 2012 we will see an amazing new fad, tablets... WITH KEYBOARDS!!!!
    like a Kindle?!?! lol
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast