Thread: diy radiator. old condenser from aircon

diy radiator. old condenser from aircon

has anyone thought of using an old condenser from an old aircon as a radiator for a liquid cooling system?

finding a de-gassed aircon unit is not hard and they are not hard to take apart. i was thinking of putting 2 low rpm 300mm fans on this one to cool my pc with minimal sound.

this radiator has to loops. im planning to have one cool the cpu and one cool the chipset and gpu.

however i do have a few problems...

one- is this a good idea?

two- cleaning, there is some sort of oil in the copper pipes. any idea on how to clean it out?

three- volume, this radiator fits a fair bit of liquid in it. the idea of savaging a radiator is to do this on a budget. where can i find coolant concentrates that i can mix with distilled water. iv been looking at HydrX but im still finding it hard to get a decent price here in Australia.

cheers all

I am Xtreme
    Condensers are ancient tech that we moved away from a long time ago for a few good reasons. Read this (Link) and you'll understand those reasons.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Condensers are ancient tech that we moved away from a long time ago for a few good reasons. Read this (Link) and you'll understand those reasons.
    thanks for the advice.. makes sense to me. thats scrap metal now.

i can get my hands on a copper core car radiator thats probably the better option

Xtreme Member
    careful with the car rads, some times the rad tubes are soldered to the tanks with a lead/tin mix.

I guess u might be able to find a ROHS compliant one, that would have no lead in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayQWXlRDW_c
    Last edited by pby5cat; 02-19-2011 at 09:14 PM.
    Intel Q6600 L727A 3.2GHz (8*400 @ 1.35v)
    Asus Maximus Formula
    2X2gb Gskill DDRII-1000
    XFX 5870
    WD 150Gb Raptor and Maxtor 250Gb DiamondMax10
    2X Samsung DVD-RW DL SATA
    Silverstone OP850
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Xtreme (lapped)
    Thermaltake Armor
    thats it, and proud of it.
    Heatware: pby5cat

Xtreme Mentor
    Yea, but lead/tin solder mix doesn't hurt a WC rig. Car radiators work great, but coming up with some BIG fannage can be an issue.
    BIG, meaning size. BIG, meaning hard to find one with low enough noise and good enough flow/pressure ratings. Can be done, no question about that.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Quote Originally Posted by pby5cat View Post
    careful with the car rads, some times the rad tubes are soldered to the tanks with a lead/tin mix.

I guess u might be able to find a ROHS compliant one, that would have no lead in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayQWXlRDW_c
    this is the one im looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_1863wt_905

i sent a message asking about it the reply was,
    THE TANKS ARE PLASTIC, THE TUBES ARE BRASS, THE FINS ARE COPPER AND THEY ARE ALL BONDED USING SOLDER. HOPE THAT HELPS.

theres a lot of threads about using car radiators they all say aluminum is bad with copper blocks but thats not new.. none of them seem to comment on the solder in a copper core radiator.. im thinking that if it were a problem it would corrode the actual radiator anyway, and if it were surely there would be a seal between the lead and the liquid to prevent contact.

any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Yea, but lead/tin solder mix doesn't hurt a WC rig. Car radiators work great, but coming up with some BIG fannage can be an issue.
    BIG, meaning size. BIG, meaning hard to find one with low enough noise and good enough flow/pressure ratings. Can be done, no question about that.
    haha thanx for answering my question as i was asking the question. ill be buying that radiator now.

cheers ill let you know how i go.

Xtreme Member
    I brought up the solder metals due to possible corrosion issues. I am no expert in water cooling but this sounds like classic galvanic corrosion.

What about am AC box fan that you would put in your window to cool you room. you might be able to use a light bulb dimmer on it.
    Last edited by pby5cat; 02-19-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    Intel Q6600 L727A 3.2GHz (8*400 @ 1.35v)
    Asus Maximus Formula
    2X2gb Gskill DDRII-1000
    XFX 5870
    WD 150Gb Raptor and Maxtor 250Gb DiamondMax10
    2X Samsung DVD-RW DL SATA
    Silverstone OP850
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Xtreme (lapped)
    Thermaltake Armor
    thats it, and proud of it.
    Heatware: pby5cat

Xtreme Cruncher
    I posted a thread about my car rad here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=237007 Unfortunately, imageshack ate the picture of the fan setup. I just made a shroud out of MDF and used 3 Antec 200mm fans. They are silent on low or medium speed and have more than enough airflow.

i7 3970X @ 4500MHz 1.28v
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 9-11-10-27
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC 3-way Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    HK 3.0-MCP655-Phobya 400mm rad
    Corsair AX1200i
    Sandisk Exrtreme 240GB
    3x2TB WD Greens for storage
    TT Armor VA8003SWA