Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prolimatech Genesis All-in-one high end CPU cooler tested

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
    Noctua.
    i just checked their website/google and found nothing special, just a tower or C shaped heatsink like everyone else does.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i just checked their website/google and found nothing special, just a tower or C shaped heatsink like everyone else does.
    Except they make one of the best heat sinks on the market. Nobody buys Gemini.
    Asus Laptop

I am Xtreme
    Except they make one of the best heat sinks on the market. Nobody buys Gemini.
    your right, they are practically free after rebates. lets not try and compare performance of a 20$ one (before rebates) to those of 80$

im just discussing the shape of a heatsink and how it can be used to offer something different, rather than making something random and incompatible and a pain to work with.

Xtreme Member
    Not any better then this new cooler or anything else for that matter that is shaped the same as Gemini2

There is just so many shapes you can make that work and cool a CPU properly. If you want something different, then dont expect good cooling.

Last edited by KGB7; 02-17-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    Asus Laptop

I am Xtreme
    Not any better then this new cooler or anything else for that matter that is shaped the same as Gemini2

There is just so many shapes you can make that work and cool a CPU properly. If you want something different, then dont expect good cooling.
    i was talking about a cooler facing UPWARD not sideways,

with more cases having the PSU at the bottom and exhaust fans at the top, there is plenty of room up there for a beefy sized heatsink that can hold 4 fans on it (2 top and 2 on bottom). it can also be built to hang right around the top edge of the motherboard so that you can still see or access everything under it. if your case dosnt have the room up top, you dont mount fans on the top. if it comes close to the ram with fans on the bottom then a good mounting system should let you take the fans off in a quick snap and your able to modify the ram without having to remove the heatsink. or just run it passively and let the case fans do the work.

i wish i could mock it up, but it seems like theres alot of pros to the idea and the only con is longer heatpipes which might be easy to offset by having much more surface area.

Xtreme Member
    i was talking about a cooler facing UPWARD not sideways,

with more cases having the PSU at the bottom and exhaust fans at the top, there is plenty of room up there for a beefy sized heatsink that can hold 4 fans on it (2 top and 2 on bottom). it can also be built to hang right around the top edge of the motherboard so that you can still see or access everything under it. if your case dosnt have the room up top, you dont mount fans on the top. if it comes close to the ram with fans on the bottom then a good mounting system should let you take the fans off in a quick snap and your able to modify the ram without having to remove the heatsink. or just run it passively and let the case fans do the work.

i wish i could mock it up, but it seems like theres alot of pros to the idea and the only con is longer heatpipes which might be easy to offset by having much more surface area.

Sounds like it would be way too heavy.

There are many engineers around the world, that sit on their ass all day long and draw up new designs for coolers. At the end of the day, 99.9% of those designs go in to a trash been, and 0.01% that make it, share the same design with every other cooler on the market.

About 4-5 years back, there was a PC case it self that was a CPU cooler, it never made it to a production.
    Asus Laptop

Xtreme Addict
    I'de rather go with the gemini personally, with the correct setup that would way outperform the genesis heatsink...

Seriously though, pretty sure this would heat up the mem a few c...
    What this heatsink will do is end up heating them up from the cpu heat.

This is a gimmick.
    You gotta keep that heat AWAY from the mem .

A true 120 and a cheap fan thingy that comes with the mem sticks will do a far better job for sure.

I do agree that if you could somehow swap it around so the one side angled part of it was outside the case, that would work well.
    The pwm doesn't need to go below ambient to clock the cpu well.
    It would make it easier to actively cool the pwm, but in another sence, you'de have your heatsink sticking outside of your case, that could be a hassle when traveling.

I am Xtreme
    Sounds like it would be way too heavy.

and the NH-D14 isnt too heavy?

There are many engineers around the world, that sit on their ass all day long and draw up new designs for coolers. At the end of the day, 99.9% of those designs go in to a trash been, and 0.01% that make it, share the same design with every other cooler on the market.
    those engineers can fall into 2 categories,

some are trying to build something that looks just like everything else and is cheap to make and trying to take over the market for a massive profit

and others make high quality parts that are great in every way and cost a little more and work only a little better, but is worth it for the reason of meeting needs, rather than mass-producing crap.

if 99.9% of the stuff is pointless, why do we have 100 heatsinks that look like a TRUE, but are different in subtle ways? and yet none of them are really as good as others in perf/gram, or perf/m2 of surface area, or with low airflow rates. because those .1% your referring too are trying to make high margins instead of high quality.

Xtreme Member
    DFI made this Mobo with a cooler like you have mentioned, but i dont see anyone using their mobo or any mobo maker using similar cooling solution for a reason.

Asus Laptop

Xtreme Member

if 99.9% of the stuff is pointless, why do we have 100 heatsinks that look like a TRUE, but are different in subtle ways? and yet none of them are really as good as others in perf/gram, or perf/m2 of surface area, or with low airflow rates. because those .1% your referring too are trying to make high margins instead of high quality.
    Because of the legal issues.

and the NH-D14 isnt too heavy?
    There are heavier heatsinks.
    Last edited by KGB7; 02-17-2011 at 12:39 PM.
    Asus Laptop

I am Xtreme
    Because of the legal issues.
    now your making less sense

first you say, they all have engineers who work hard to come up with ideas

then you say, they wanted to copy someone's design instead of use their own

Xtreme Addict
    @KGB7

The dfi 790fx ut board had a similar heatsink that strapped to the pwm heatsink.
    But instead of swinging straight out of the case, it went to the side and was meant to fasten to the psu's fan holes.
    It was a completely lame idea for multiple reasons.

Show me something like the true120 in the $50-60 range that blows towards the backside of the case instead of the top of it, and I'm game .

Xtreme Member
    now your making less sense

first you say, they all have engineers who work hard to come up with ideas

then you say, they wanted to copy someone's design instead of use their own

some are trying to build something that looks just like everything else and is cheap to make and trying to take over the market for a massive profit
    You said same thing but worded differently.
    Asus Laptop

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    @KGB7

Show me something like the true120 in the $50-60 range that blows towards the backside of the case instead of the top of it, and I'm game .
    http://www.techpowerup.com/140416/Ar...PU-Cooler.html
    Asus Laptop

I am Xtreme
    You said same thing but worded differently.
    i said some, not 99.9%

you seem to have a hard time with any innovation
    with everything in a PC evolving, heatsinks should be evolving too, but with 99.9% of them working to rip of the .1% how will we ever get any quality products coming out?

Xtreme Member
    i said some, not 99.9%

you seem to have a hard time with any innovation
    with everything in a PC evolving, heatsinks should be evolving too, but with 99.9% of them working to rip of the .1% how will we ever get any quality products coming out?
    99.9% can be some too.

I dont have hard time with innovation at all. But you forget that a cooler has to be practical, it has to work with most of the products in the market and has to be priced with in reason according to a market. You dont see anyone reinventing the wheel, because it works.

Look at Zalman TNN-500A Fanless PC Case that was also a cooler, it didnt last long and hardly sold. Too big, too heavy, over priced, not practical, performed poorly.

Innovation is great, but with current tech, choices are limited what can be used as coolers. I think there was an article a year ago about Nano cooling. But thats years away from mass production.

Found the article:
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...c=news_ts_head
    Last edited by KGB7; 02-17-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    Asus Laptop

I am Xtreme
    99.9% is some too.

I dont have hard time with innovation at all. But you forget that a cooler has to be practical, it has to work with most of the products in the market and has to be priced with in reason according to a market. You dont see anyone reinventing the wheel, because it works.

Look at Zalman TNN-500A Fanless PC Case that was also a cooler, it didnt last long and hardly sold. Too big, too heavy, over priced, not practical, performed poorly.

Innovation is great, but with current tech, choices are limited what can be used as coolers. I think there was an article a year ago about Nano cooling. But thats years away from mass production.
    you seem to be trying to fight with me every bit you can

either you see an issue with my idea or you dont. i dont need a history lesson on a pc case that cools, since it has nothing to do with the idea i presented. you already attacked the idea saying it would be too heavy without any basis.

so why so much aggression?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    @KGB7

...Show me something like the true120 in the $50-60 range that blows towards the backside of the case instead of the top of it, and I'm game .
    ... and another one that I'm using keeps my 2600K@4.7 under 70C with 1 fan pushing towards the back case fan. Fan goes off at idle CPU 23C pasive. Got it for $50 from MC when they were in stock.

ZEROtherm ZT-10D Premium
    Last edited by nijel; 02-17-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Xtreme Member
    you seem to be trying to fight with me every bit you can

either you see an issue with my idea or you dont. i dont need a history lesson on a pc case that cools, since it has nothing to do with the idea i presented. you already attacked the idea saying it would be too heavy without any basis.

so why so much aggression?
    Chill dude, no one is fighting with you.

If your idea is so innovating why isnt it in production?
    Asus Laptop

I am Xtreme
    Chill dude, no one is fighting with you.

If your idea is so innovating why isnt it in production?

why should i chill when im not even getting heated. i asked why you attack everything i say, i didnt say i was fighting with you or even say i was getting mad

and when did i say it was innovating?

and my FIRST question was if someone saw one, hence my assumption that something like it WAS in production already
    the fact that no one has found it made me think more about what purpose it can serve

please stop making assumptions about me, youve been wrong every single time sofar

Xtreme Member

why should i chill when im not even getting heated. i asked why you attack everything i say, i didnt say i was fighting with you or even say i was getting mad

and when did i say it was innovating?

and my FIRST question was if someone saw one, hence my assumption that something like it WAS in production already
    the fact that no one has found it made me think more about what purpose it can serve

please stop making assumptions about me, youve been wrong every single time sofar

You asked and i answered as best i could to my ability.

And dont make assumptions about me, what i have said, how i said it or how i feel. Deal?

My question remains. Why isnt your idea for a cooler in the production for mass market?
    Last edited by KGB7; 02-17-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    Asus Laptop

Xtreme Addict
    1) is really the ram will be cooler of just put a 120mm fans mounted right there ?
    ( there's no contact between rams and the " cooler " so i don't think so )

2) If you need to check your ram, change slots, or remove them... you need remove the cooler, reapply Thermal paste...

They should have drop the second parts highers ( like this you can install uninstall the ram ).
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    1) is really the ram will be cooler of just put a 120mm fans mounted right there ?
    ( there's no contact between rams and the " cooler " so i don't think so )

2) If you need to check your ram, change slots, or remove them... you need remove the cooler, reapply Thermal paste...

They should have drop the second parts highers ( like this you can install uninstall the ram ).

1) Sure - passing cooler air over a warm surface will cool it. Heat is energy, moves down a gradient. Ever blow on hot food to make it cooler?

2) I bet you could get beneath there as long as you don't have ram sticks that have dorsal fins.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Member
    Firs test. WOW
    They had to introduce new rewards to describe its performance!!!

Last edited by nijel; 02-18-2011 at 03:25 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'd much rather something that cools the PWM area than the ram
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast