Thread: icons keep moving to the left

Xtreme Addict

icons keep moving to the left

OK this is getting rediculous!! My Icons keep moving to the left side of screen. WHY???

And before anyone states the obvious, I have "auto arrange" UNCHECKED. align to grid is checked.
    The computer runs just fine. No lockups or anything to indicate an issue but every couple of days I sit down and find my icons on the left side of the monitor like the auto arrange button got checked. But auto arrange is NOT checked!! WTF is going on.

This is starting to really piss me off.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 04-17-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Member
    Just a guess here but is your video card overclocked? Are you getting any messages about the video driver failing? It sounds like what happens when you switch screen resolutions. Good luck sorting it out.

CPU: i7 920 Rock Solid @ 4.1 H.T
    MB: ASUS P6X58D Premium USB 3.0 and SATA3 6GB 32nm Support
    MEMORY: G.SKILL DDR3 2000 CL 8-8-8-21
    HD: PATRIOT INFERNO 100GB SSD OCZ Vertex 60 GB SSD
    GPU: HD 5850 ATI RADEON ATI CrossFireX 1GB GDDR5
    PSU: Seasonic 80 PLUS GOLD X-SERIES 750W
    COOLING: CORSAIR H50 Push/Pull
    MONITOR: Hanns.G 22"
    DUAL BAY HD DOCK: NexStar NST-D200SU 2.5"/3.5" SATA to USB 2.0/eSATA
    CASE: CM STORM SNIPER (Black Edition)

Xtreme Addict
    No overclock on the video at all. But yea I was wondering if one of the kids games were changing the screen resolution downn so that icons would end up....outside of the parameters and with no other way to resolve... simply lefting all icons????? *shrug* BIG *shrug*
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

What are your Display settings, both the default MS display properties, & via your graphic card display settings.

also does it happen after you shut down your computer & do a cold restart? returning from Sleep? or after you turn your monitor off while the PC is still running, then turning the monitor back on?

I am Xtreme
    Using DisplayPort?
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You could try this, but back up the registry just in case.

Icons - Keep in Place

Go to Run and type REGEDIT

Locate this key:

HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer

Look in the right pane for a value called NoSaveSettings. If it exists, double click NoSaveSettings and set the value to 0.

If it doesn't exist, right click in the right pane and select New, DWord value and name it NoSaveSettings. Leave the value set at 0.

Exit the Registry by clicking the X as usual. Then reboot.

NOTE: Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

I am Xtreme
    I have a similar problem, don't think there's anything you can do...
    For some reason mine only occurs if I boot into Windows with my monitor turned off, though.

Found some hotfix, but it doesn't seem to do anything in my case...

If you're using ATI, feel free to report a bug. Apparently that's Windows's fault, though.
    Last edited by zalbard; 05-01-2011 at 04:56 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dctokyo View Post
    You could try this, but back up the registry just in case.

Icons - Keep in Place

Go to Run and type REGEDIT

Locate this key:

HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer

Look in the right pane for a value called NoSaveSettings. If it exists, double click NoSaveSettings and set the value to 0.

If it doesn't exist, right click in the right pane and select New, DWord value and name it NoSaveSettings. Leave the value set at 0.

Exit the Registry by clicking the X as usual. Then reboot.

NOTE: Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)
    Didnt work. Had another instance of lefting my icons yesterday.

Xtreme Addict
    I had the same problem, and I found out that moving the icons long before shutting down helps.
    Basically, I move them when I've just started the computer, and the next time I reboot, usually once or twice a week, the icons haven't been moved.

Not really an explanation, but it seems to be working for me. YMMV.