Thread: Install Windows 7 64 bit and 32 bit from one USB stick?

Xtreme Cruncher

Install Windows 7 64 bit and 32 bit from one USB stick?

Is it possible to have a single USB stick that has both the 32 bit and 64 bit windows 7 installers? Right now I make a bootable USB stick when i need it from http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/ .

What I envision is plugging in my USB thumbdrive and booting up the computer. A menu will appear with the options (32 bit or 64 bit). Then the installer for the appropriate selection will load(separate partitions perhaps?). My Windows 7 images are already "universal" (they can install starter, home basic, home premium, pro, and ultimate) by removing the ei.cfg file from the installation media.

Anyone ever done this before or know someone/somewhere that has directions?

Thanks in advance!

-Josh

Xtreme Guru
    I do this with a copy of windows 7 I downloaded , comes with both 32 and 64 bit so I can choose ...

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Addict
    OMG that's the most tedious guide I've ever seen!

Use this instead, three clicks and your ISO is copied to USB memory and gets bootable.

I think it can also add more ISO's to the same USB memory, just what you asked for, since it has a menu from which you choose which ISO to use during boot.
    I've never tried adding more ISO's so you have to read up on that.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/1204...musb-with-gui/

Here's how to put all 32 and 64 bit versions in one ISO.

http://www.windowsvalley.com/create-...in-single-dvd/

Xtreme Cruncher
    Mats,

Your links just might work! I'll give them a try and let everyone know what happens!

Xtreme Legend
    i tried XP with this software Mat cant get it going, win2003server also same
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Cruncher
    That might not be so good for me. I had decided earlier that I wanted to add XP and Server 2008 R2 to the mix...

Xtreme Legend
    maybe im ing something up man lol
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Addict
    Just to clarify, I've used WinSetupFromUSB dozens of times, and it have never failed for me. I've never tried making a W7 AIO ISO, will try it after I get SP1.

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    i tried XP with this software Mat cant get it going, win2003server also same
    That's strange, this is the only SW that actually works for me with anything XP, 2003, Vista, W7..

For single Windows ISO, quick format in Windows first, NTFS.
    Then start WinSetupFromUSB and add the ISO you want.
    No need to touch the MBR controls etc. for me anyway.
    Make sure you pick the right choice during boot countdown.

I can also recommend Unetbootin for any Windows 6.x, but with 5.x it's more of a hit and miss. Maybe it got better, dunno.

Are you sure your USB memory works well with booting? Also, try format to FAT32 if NTFS fails, sometimes it makes a difference in Unetbootin + Windows 5.x, maybe in WinSetupFromUSB too.

Unlike MS official USB installer, both WinSetupFromUSB and Unetbootin works with modified ISO's (nlite, vlite...), and also works with Linux and other bootable ISO's.

I dunno if adding two ISO's with WinSetupFromUSB is a good idea, after reading the guide...
    Last edited by Mats; 02-17-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    I do this with a copy of windows 7 I downloaded , comes with both 32 and 64 bit so I can choose ...
    Same here. I think Win 7 Ultimate ISO has this ability.

Ryzen 3800X @ 4.4Ghz
    MSI X570 Unify
    32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL14
    Sapphire Nitro Vega 64
    OCZ Gold 850W ZX Series
    Thermaltake LV10

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawleZ View Post
    Same here. I think Win 7 Ultimate ISO has this ability.
    Nope, the official ISO's are all the same, either all 32 bit versions, or all 64 bit versions. It's the /Sources/ei.cfg that tells which version you can install. If you remove it, you can choose between all 32 bit versions, OR all 64 bit versions, but never all of them.
    That's what the guide I posted does.

Enterprise is not included.

Xtreme Legend
    i cant attach ISOs but what i do is load it up with daemon tools and point to the OS drive

i will try your method now as i tried bootice and also tried that RMprepUSB thing and both failed

the USB stick is bootable, i use the same one for Win7 installs and it works ok
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Legend
    well i feel like a flucking idiot now dont I

simple is usually best, isnt that what they say

it works with 2003 just installing the OS now with the USB stick thanks for the correction
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    Just to clarify, I've used WinSetupFromUSB dozens of times, and it have never failed for me. I've never tried making a W7 AIO ISO, will try it after I get SP1.

That's strange, this is the only SW that actually works for me with anything XP, 2003, Vista, W7..

For single Windows ISO, quick format in Windows first, NTFS.
    Then start WinSetupFromUSB and add the ISO you want.
    No need to touch the MBR controls etc. for me anyway.
    Make sure you pick the right choice during boot countdown.

I can also recommend Unetbootin for any Windows 6.x, but with 5.x it's more of a hit and miss. Maybe it got better, dunno.

Are you sure your USB memory works well with booting? Also, try format to FAT32 if NTFS fails, sometimes it makes a difference in Unetbootin + Windows 5.x, maybe in WinSetupFromUSB too.

Unlike MS official USB installer, both WinSetupFromUSB and Unetbootin works with modified ISO's (nlite, vlite...), and also works with Linux and other bootable ISO's.

I dunno if adding two ISO's with WinSetupFromUSB is a good idea, after reading the guide...
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Guru
    Dinos i use this guide, only 2 steps pretty much 2 clicks and your done..
    http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...-simple-steps/

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    well i feel like a flucking idiot now dont I

simple is usually best, isnt that what they say

it works with 2003 just installing the OS now with the USB stick thanks for the correction
    LOL, np, glad I could help!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I just found a program called RMPrepUSB. I'm currently downloading the Windows 7 Automated Installation Kit to help combine WIM files. I'll let everyone know how it goes . It looks like RMPrepUSB will work with just about any version of windows from XP on up and virtually any linux OS with syslinux.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    It looks like RMPrepUSB will work with just about any version of windows from XP on up and virtually any linux OS with syslinux.
    Pretty much the same as WinSetupFromUSB I guess.

Xtreme Cruncher
    So I've spent 2 days on this. I used this method to combine all of the Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 versions into 1 single WIM file. This allowed me to have a single 8GB stick to install all of the latest versions of Windows(the WIM file was only 5GB).

As for XP I had some difficulties. It got time consuming trying to set it up, and I finally gave up. The amount of time I will spend trying to get a working version with XP exceeds the amount of time I will spend reinstalling XP from a CD in the future. It was fun playing around with it though.

I've ordered a fast USB3.0 thumbdrive for this. USB 3 isn't very popular right now, but all of my computers at home have it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    This allowed me to have a single 8GB stick to install all of the latest versions of Windows(the WIM file was only 5GB).
    So I guess you used SP1 versions? Otherwise you should have waited for it..

Xtreme Cruncher
    I did use SP1 for all of them That's why I'm dealing with this now. I had DVDs of all of the non-SP versions. I figured when SP1 was available I'd make the jump to using USB. I'm curious if Microsoft will eventually switch to using a USB key for installation in the future. While I would love the idea, I don't think it will happen because the cost to manufacture a DVD is many times less than a USB stick.

Xtreme Member
    Saved me from going back to IDE Sata drive
    How to be Xtreme with so little money ?

2600k@5ghz 16GB 1600 Gskill 8GBRLX GTX 480 SLi Corsair 1200w
    Lsi 9260-8i + 8 1tb Samsung HD103sj on RAID0 (yes im crazy and i have good airflow for those)

Xtreme Legend
    just thought id bump this thread, pretty nifty tool to use to get XP on USB drive so you can install XP from USB without too much of a hassle
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia