Thread: Computer Issues

Computer Issues

A few months back I built my first desktop, everything ran great up until recently, now I'm coming accross minor annoyances/issues.

Example: When I put any sort of strain on my internet, like open up utorrent for a small file, my browsing dies, as if I'm trying to download a huge file or something.

I tested to see if it was my internet connection, opening utorrent, etc. And then while sitting right next to my desktop, getting onto my laptop and trying to browse the internet. It worked just fine.

I even tried opening utorrent and downloading the same file, and browsing, again no issues.

I called my uncle (who works for my service provider) to come test my modem and everything, wondering if it was the port that my desktop is plugged into thats bad or something. He replaced my modem etc, and it did not change.

Another small annoyance: I turn my monitor off, but leave my desktop on most of the time. Lately I will turn my monitor on, and my computer will freeze and won't unfreeze, or it will freeze, and become usable again within a few minutes.

I've reinstalled windows, that didn't fix either issue.

Comp specs are as follows:

Mobo - Asus M4A785-M
    Processor: AMD Phenom 2 X4
    PSU: Rosewill Green series 530 watt
    HD: Samsung Spintpoint 500gig HD
    RAM: Kingston Hyper-X T1 1066 DDR2 (4GB)
    Vid: HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit
    Processor cooling: Corsair H70 - Temps between 35-40C
    Case: Lian Li PC-K62

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic661 View Post
    A few months back I built my first desktop, everything ran great up until recently, now I'm coming accross minor annoyances/issues.

Example: When I put any sort of strain on my internet, like open up utorrent for a small file, my browsing dies, as if I'm trying to download a huge file or something.

I tested to see if it was my internet connection, opening utorrent, etc. And then while sitting right next to my desktop, getting onto my laptop and trying to browse the internet. It worked just fine.

I even tried opening utorrent and downloading the same file, and browsing, again no issues.

I called my uncle (who works for my service provider) to come test my modem and everything, wondering if it was the port that my desktop is plugged into thats bad or something. He replaced my modem etc, and it did not change.

Another small annoyance: I turn my monitor off, but leave my desktop on most of the time. Lately I will turn my monitor on, and my computer will freeze and won't unfreeze, or it will freeze, and become usable again within a few minutes.

I've reinstalled windows, that didn't fix either issue.

Comp specs are as follows:

Mobo - Asus M4A785-M
    Processor: AMD Phenom 2 X4
    PSU: Rosewill Green series 530 watt
    HD: Samsung Spintpoint 500gig HD
    RAM: Kingston Hyper-X T1 1066 DDR2 (4GB)
    Vid: HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit
    Processor cooling: Corsair H70 - Temps between 35-40C
    Case: Lian Li PC-K62

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
    so what actually happens with your connection? I think u forgot to mention it?

as for the monitor problem..

tho I must say.. that PSU is.. questionable.. questionable in quality & in enough W
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Guru
    Try running memtest 86+ im it's your ram causing the freezes, also try booting up with each dimm individually to rule out which dimm is faulty, also try clearing CMOS and bios flash ..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    so what actually happens with your connection? I think u forgot to mention it?

as for the monitor problem..

tho I must say.. that PSU is.. questionable.. questionable in quality & in enough W
    Like I said, it basically dies on my desktop. I know it isn't the connection itself, because while I'm on the desktop, I can use my laptop and surf the internet etc just fine.

I really don't know what to say about the PSU, I mean, I check my voltages etc on HW monitor, it says they are where they should be, but, I know I skimped out a bit on it, I could've found a 600W or something. This one, had good ratings. (Unfortunately, its how I based my first build..)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Try running memtest 86+ im it's your ram causing the freezes, also try booting up with each dimm individually to rule out which dimm is faulty, also try clearing CMOS and bios flash ..
    I began looking for a bios update, and basically figured out, I've got a processor that is AM3, however, my motherboard is only set up for AM2+.. could this be the major issue?

My origional processor was a AMD Phenom II X2, which I'm not sure if it was specifically AM3 or if it was good for AM2+.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic661 View Post
    I began looking for a bios update, and basically figured out, I've got a processor that is AM3, however, my motherboard is only set up for AM2+.. could this be the major issue?

My origional processor was a AMD Phenom II X2, which I'm not sure if it was specifically AM3 or if it was good for AM2+.
    Ha there is your problem there, some boards support both and some boards only support one.. Best bet would be a bios update if you can find one ..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Ha there is your problem there, some boards support both and some boards only support one.. Best bet would be a bios update if you can find one ..
    There wasn't an update for it, this gave me an excuse to get a 890FX board..so thats what I did...hope it fixes it lol. Should be here today, I'll post with updates.