Thread: Life of Overclocking...

Xtreme Member

Life of Overclocking...

Video made in the meeting of Overclockers In São Paulo, day 19/02/2011, Rbuass showing its vgas deceased…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4XJttCXlM8
    I2I3 Impacta OC Team
    http://hard1xtreme.wordpress.com/
    My Hwbot Points

i7 860 @ 4.4Ghz - TRUE COPPER - Evga Classified 200 - 4GB Mushkin 1.7Ghz cas6 - 2x SSD WD Silicom 128GB Raid0 - GTX 580 0.95Ghz - Rec Cougar 1000W - CM ACTS 840

i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz - H70 @ 150CFM - Gigabyte P67A - UD7 - 16GB RipjawsX 2133Mhz Cas9 - 2TB Raid1 - 1.25TB - XFX 8400GS - Corsair HX 1000W - G15 - Razer 2000DPI - Philips HT3365X - TT Armor Modded

Xtreme Legend
    dayum
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

XIP
    8X $504 plus shipping.Lol....or 13 pieces of 2600Ks to play binning lotto

The same old "killed during combat" pcb counting game only with different new hardwares
    Last edited by Dumo; 02-20-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Wpprriimmee crrraaazzzyyy
    I'm afraid I couldn't understand it because its not in English...
    He's showing a bunch of modded dead GPUs?
    Heatware

Custom SS unit by Gray Mole, Sdumper Cascade, K|ngp|n F1 Gemnni, TEK9 Fatboy, TEK9 Slim, NB-1, H2O stuff...
    Celeron 347, Celeron 356, Celeron 420, 2x P4 631, P4 670, P4 640, P4 651, P4 524, PD 915, P4 540J, 2x P4 530J, P4 520J Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2-8500 2x Asus REX X48, Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1.0, Asus Commando P965,
    Stuff I used to have:
    Asus RIIIE X58, Evga Classified P55, Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR, i5 670, E8600, Q9650, Q9550, , 3x2GB Mushkin Redline 2000C8,, G.Skill 2x2GB PC9600(Silver), Evga Evbot
    XFX 4770 modded, XFX 7950GT, XFX 6600GT, Evga 8600GTS 512MB, 3850 OC, 4x 3870s, and X600

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - James Stewart

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linuxfan View Post
    You could say it was an eulogy to the loved ones that passed, right before their cremation. May the souls of those GTX480s and GTX580s rest in peace

Brilliant Idiot
    Trials and tribulations of ocing.

Thats out of my league $$$ wise.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linuxfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danielkza View Post
    You could say it was an eulogy to the loved ones that passed, right before their cremation. May the souls of those GTX480s and GTX580s rest in peace
    Yes but he also said that they were using the those dead VGAs to teach the youngsters how to mod and to give them a real PCB to practice their soldering skills

He did a lot of modifications in each of those cards, awesome stuff Ronaldo

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by To(V)bo Co(V)bo View Post
    This is gonna be way more fun than my wifes tits.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Trials and tribulations of ocing.

Yes Chew,,,
    I agree that s a tribulation of overclocking...
    But you came home...and you know me...you know my very little apartment...and a hard dificult to get hardware, nitrogen and all stuff to overclock
    You know I am so far to be a rich guy...and i effort myself to buy hardware.
    Here I only can bench one VGA per time...
    Thats true...and i can tell i never bench 2 Videocards both (SLI or Xfire) cause i have no money to buy 2 Videocards...to bench 3 or 4 VGA both is like a dream to me...but its impossible cause is very expensive to feed LN2 and hardware
    Here...i buy only one...and try and try to get best scores ...and if is needed to kill the vga trying to beat very good benchs ...i will do...
    I have no sponsors...i have no lots of money...but the Overclocking is the only thing i practice in my life
    but overclocking is the only practical thing in my life, and work hard as an engineer to support my home and of course give love to my family.
    I do not have a new car or nice (I have an old car), paid rent to live in my small apartment, do not leave the house for fun, do not buy clothes when not needed.
    In short, I have no privilege and no extra expense that is not my hobby.
    All the money spent Overclocked (hardware, LN2, etc.), I gain from selling computer parts for Brazilian consumers.
    Here in my country, Overclocking made me become a person known and trusted, and so many people looking for me to buy parts of PCs (processors, motherboards, VGAs, etc.).
    All the money spent on household expenses (food, paying bills, rent, etc.), I gained working as an engineer.
    I really feel sad when i kill one vga, CPU, MB or any PCPart...
    These cards is only the newer cards, but many others older (8800GTX, 8800 GTS, HD 4870, GTX 295, etc, etc) had the same fate ... ... that s a pity, but this can be normal for Extreme Overclocking (you know )...
    I know guys that is sponsored with lots and lots of CPUs, VGAs, etc...but is not my case (i hope someday)
    For now...i have no more VGA to bench (killed the last GTX 580 yesterday...after to get 1300/1270 Mhz Vantage...in the middle of benchmark...
    Unfortunately I need to sell lots of PC Parts to brazilian customers to get money to buy another one...
    I am working hard to do it
    I am only saying this because many people can watch the video and think I'm a playboy full of money, not giving value to things, and really all I can come through much effort.
    I will continue working to bring the art of overclocking to Brazil, to improve the technical conditions of the people of my country, to become more accessible parts of the computer to teach this art that I like so much so that others might also teach something some day
    Sorry for the long post...and the broken english

Best regards for all
    Last edited by rbuass; 02-20-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Brilliant Idiot
    Yep I know it's tough on you as well as the prices.

You know sponsorship, reviewing or manufacturer backing has a catch 22 though, sometimes your better off paying for it becasue you can hit it hard with no strings attached.

Cards mobos, even cpu's need to be returned alive and working 99% of time, quite often this means not even modding them or pushing them there hardest.

Start sending them back dead, no more hardware
    Last edited by chew*; 02-20-2011 at 06:10 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

I am Xtreme
    damn, NVIDIA should have stepped up the VR, but not all his GPUs died from it

Champion
    There are many ways to kill a VGA benching (extreme benching)...
    Usually you can bench hardly overclocked and don t kill the VGA...
    But sometimes...its happen..
    I think...if you try and try...and insist to get better results... you have many more risk to kill it

Xtreme Member
    I don't understand...
    I only see in the youtube have a people used firelock to burn cards
    Last edited by vern; 02-21-2011 at 06:26 AM.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right.

Hardware Nightmare
    rbuass

Did you tried repairing? Often damages are not critical, just replacing burnt fet/passives and 50/50 hw still works in a way.
    Anyway, take care.
    Taking GND reference from another galaxy

Electronics engineering @ extreme overclocker
    LN2: Cel347@8199.5MHz,920@5300,E8600@6610,QX9650@5700,X 3050@4311,X3470@5060

Champion
    Yes Tin...
    In each card i did try...but for exemple... 3 GTX 580 is dead cause mosfet is burned...
    Now i used to teach guys from here how to remove SMD, measure resistence, solder trimpots , etc...
    At least is a noble way to the cards end its life

I am Xtreme
    yea that is what i used to do, i have my own graveyard of over benched motherboards from back in the day, but those have much older components on them, so most of the things aren't salvageable.

Anyways maybe you should strip the PCBs of bare parts of try to use the working VRs on a new card? If no i would strip them of components and make a collage like GB did here

Champion
    I have many motherboards and video cards killed in the war.
    I think about to cover the wall in my room with them.
    In Taiwan saw beneath a bridge, a giant wall covered with hundreds of motherboards (sponsored by ASUS)...is nice

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuass View Post
    Yes Tin...
    In each card i did try...but for exemple... 3 GTX 580 is dead cause mosfet is burned...
    Now i used to teach guys from here how to remove SMD, measure resistence, solder trimpots , etc...
    At least is a noble way to the cards end its life
    i see you had multiple 580ss

you can collect those mosfets for the other cards...

invest in some nice desoldering tools perhaps? hotair or pcb preheaters?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuass View Post
    Yes Chew,,,
    I agree that s a tribulation of overclocking...
    But you came home...and you know me...you know my very little apartment...and a hard dificult to get hardware, nitrogen and all stuff to overclock
    You know I am so far to be a rich guy...and i effort myself to buy hardware.
    Here I only can bench one VGA per time...
    Thats true...and i can tell i never bench 2 Videocards both (SLI or Xfire) cause i have no money to buy 2 Videocards...to bench 3 or 4 VGA both is like a dream to me...but its impossible cause is very expensive to feed LN2 and hardware
    Here...i buy only one...and try and try to get best scores ...and if is needed to kill the vga trying to beat very good benchs ...i will do...
    I have no sponsors...i have no lots of money...but the Overclocking is the only thing i practice in my life
    but overclocking is the only practical thing in my life, and work hard as an engineer to support my home and of course give love to my family.
    I do not have a new car or nice (I have an old car), paid rent to live in my small apartment, do not leave the house for fun, do not buy clothes when not needed.
    In short, I have no privilege and no extra expense that is not my hobby.
    All the money spent Overclocked (hardware, LN2, etc.), I gain from selling computer parts for Brazilian consumers.
    Here in my country, Overclocking made me become a person known and trusted, and so many people looking for me to buy parts of PCs (processors, motherboards, VGAs, etc.).
    All the money spent on household expenses (food, paying bills, rent, etc.), I gained working as an engineer.
    I really feel sad when i kill one vga, CPU, MB or any PCPart...
    These cards is only the newer cards, but many others older (8800GTX, 8800 GTS, HD 4870, GTX 295, etc, etc) had the same fate ... ... that s a pity, but this can be normal for Extreme Overclocking (you know )...
    I know guys that is sponsored with lots and lots of CPUs, VGAs, etc...but is not my case (i hope someday)
    For now...i have no more VGA to bench (killed the last GTX 580 yesterday...after to get 1300/1270 Mhz Vantage...in the middle of benchmark...
    Unfortunately I need to sell lots of PC Parts to brazilian customers to get money to buy another one...
    I am working hard to do it
    I am only saying this because many people can watch the video and think I'm a playboy full of money, not giving value to things, and really all I can come through much effort.
    I will continue working to bring the art of overclocking to Brazil, to improve the technical conditions of the people of my country, to become more accessible parts of the computer to teach this art that I like so much so that others might also teach something some day
    Sorry for the long post...and the broken english

Best regards for all

Beautifully said! I wish I lived in Brazil to learn from you

Good luck on replacing the cards! I hope you raise the money quickly
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?

I feel and think like you Ronaldo, the hobby is very expensive in the south, and cant always have the latest technology for us, 580 GTX is a dream ., SLI 580GTX is impossible for our "empty pockets". ( 2x 580GTX = US 1600)

I hope you can quickly recover from the loss., I know it's hard but you can always count with me.
    C'mon rbuass, don't give up it is what we like and we love.

Hugs my friend

Sw