Thread: Custom 30mm Rad Shoruds, whats the best way

Banned

Custom 30mm Rad Shoruds, whats the best way

Marts test shows 30mm to be the best, so 30mm thickit is!

Rad is a HW Labs Black Ice GT Xtreme 560(4X140mm)

Fans are Yate Loon SH14-12. I will run 8, push and pull.

I'm confused as to whats the best way to go about getting a 30mm shroud made to fit this thing.

To start with i though about an all in one piece made out of delrin/acetal. This is was to get a nice seal around the rad. To have it machine out as much as the fan mounts on the rad. My confusion then starts from what about where the fans mount, how to do that.

Would it simply be better just to have big round holes machined out the same size as on the Yate Loons?

I'm also no sketch person or have the 1st idea how to go about getting something made.

I'm not after fancy shape, engravings, just quick simple but massively effective to get the absoult best and making it the most 'ard' core setup possible I can.

Any one got ideas, input etc? I could really do with all the help here

Have pulled the specs drawing from there website and attached it here if it helps anyone out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d_gtx560.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	112123  
    Last edited by Tetrafluorometh; 02-12-2011 at 01:52 PM.

regular 25mm gutted fans would be my choice.

if you're set on 30mm, I'd probably rig something up with washers to create the space between the rad and a 25mm gutted fan and then use weatherstripping or maybe construction paper? hell if you're inclined some sheetmetal would look good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 5.0L View Post
    regular 25mm gutted fans would be my choice.

if you're set on 30mm, I'd probably rig something up with washers to create the space between the rad and a 25mm gutted fan and then use weatherstripping or maybe construction paper? hell if you're inclined some sheetmetal would look good.
    Regular 140mm are not cheap nor comen! I don't want something cheap, tacky, diy looking. I want nice, clean simple massively effective

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There are 140mm yate loons at around 4.50€ here, that's a very good solution as each individual fan ends up having its own shroud.

24/7 running quiet and nice

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmat View Post
    There are 140mm yate loons at around 4.50€ here, that's a very good solution as each individual fan ends up having its own shroud.
    Im in the UK buddy! it's around £5+ a fan, so thats £40 alone to cut up into nothing when I might be able to get something nice made for that. Let alone £40 more for the fans needed too cool the thing!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i made somthing out of sheetmetal a while back. and it worked well.
    cardboard would work well also and a good template if you decide to go the sheet metal route.
    alternative option is skip the shroud and go in a pull configuration.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MadHacker View Post
    i made somthing out of sheetmetal a while back. and it worked well.
    cardboard would work well also and a good template if you decide to go the sheet metal route.
    alternative option is skip the shroud and go in a pull configuration.
    Got anything you can show at all? It needs to be a soild mounting as it will have 2 laing DDC's in a dual top mounts there, along with res and fill port and something else

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetrafluorometh View Post
    Got anything you can show at all? It needs to be a soild mounting as it will have 2 laing DDC's in a dual top mounts there, along with res and fill port and something else
    here is one i made many years ago, BIX 120 in push pull
    made a metal shroud and use metal tape, double sided tape to attach the fan to the shroud.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)

Banned
    here is one i made many years ago, BIX 120 in push pull
    made a metal shroud and use metal tape, double sided tape to attach the fan to the shroud.
    Nice one, some thin sheet metal 1/2mm would do it. Just as a case of the best layout

Xtreme Enthusiast
    if you're going to make one out of sheet metal, a bending brake might be recommended to get clean bends. however, you'll probably blow past your budget, even with a cheap one.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I used sheet metal used for ducting, easy to bend and comes in relativly large enough sheets.
    bending it wasn't hard. i just clamped between 2 pieces of 2x4 along the bend line.

I would definitely be interested if the price is right

Xtreme Member
    Use 60mm screws and thick plastic washers to space the fans 30mm away. The plastic washers now form a frame on which you can wrap sheet metal around.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    Use 60mm screws and thick plastic washers to space the fans 30mm away. The plastic washers now form a frame on which you can wrap sheet metal around.
    skip the sheet metal
    go with duck tape

Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    The best way to build shrouds is to use some nice beefy material, like .25-inch thick aluminum flat bar:

These shouldn't be too hard to crank out, so if anyone here in the states wants any please send me a PM.
    Whats the attaching mechanism for those? Long screws in the corners and hold it with tension or will there be a drilled hole to pass the screwed through to the radiator, or some other method?

I'd probably be interested in a 12.3 double sided setup in a month or so if they can handle being mostly freestanding.

also +1 vote for ducktape shroud.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    As part of my next case project I'll be fabricating some 140mm shrouds:

The best way to build shrouds is to use some nice beefy material, like .25-inch thick aluminum flat bar:

These shouldn't be too hard to crank out, so if anyone here in the states wants any please send me a PM.
    Spotswood you have a PM

Xtreme Member
    skip the sheet metal
    go with duck tape
    I see where that user name comes from!

Banned
    Very very very nice!! I've a friend that does custom anodizing, I could imagen a set of these paying him a visit if I can get hold of a pair

Edit:

Hang on, it looks like it supports around the fans frame, the fan nestles/rests on the mount and the bolt just go clean through, am I right?

Banned
    Nice man uber simple. These going to fit okay on the HW Labs Black Ice GT Xtreme 560(4X140mm) ok? Drawing of measurements is in my 1st post

I am Xtreme
    Here in the States, Delrin the size you would need it would cost ~$55/Ft and you'd need 2Ft. Looks like you came to your senses though.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Here in the States, Delrin the size you would need it would cost ~$55/Ft and you'd need 2Ft. Looks like you came to your senses though.
    Can't fault Spotswoods skills and what a better way to go about it all in using his production run!

I've just ordered my replacment rad for the project so i can't wait!