Thread: Big Things In Small Packages

Big Things In Small Packages

Hey All,

This is a long way off becoming a reality, but never too early to start a work log apparently Keep in mind this is my first build log, and only my second WC build, so be gentle.

Basically the idea was/is to fit a fully watercooled ITX system (cpu/gpu) into a teeny little case. At this stage that teeny little case is the SG-07. I'll start with a break down of parts that are on the short list show ya some pictures of the current mock up and then leave it open to comments/suggestions/scathing criticisms.

Hardware:
    Case - SG-07
    Mobo - DFI MI P55
    CPU - i5 760
    RAM - undecided
    GPU - HD6970
    HDD - 2x 120gb SSD (undecided which)

Loop:
    Pump - Swiftech MCP35X
    Radiator - MCR220 (already own)
    CPU Block - HK 3.0 LT
    GPU Block - EK FC Block
    Res - EK Multioption 150 (already own)
    Fans - 3x GT1850's
    plus loads of fittings etc etc

Ok a bit of a break down on the plan. I am planning on stripping out the 180mm fan and bracket, along with forsaking a optical drive and removing the slim CD bracket and the stock HDD bracket. I will get my own bracket of some sort made up to hold the SSDs. I will also be getting some sort of bracket made up to hold the rad and fans in place.
    The only reason I am using the MCR220 is because I have it lying around from a previous build and want to save where I can. Same goes for the res. I don't think my res idea is going to be a popular one... but I kinda like it. I haven't completely decided how I will mount that as I need something that will give it the proper clearance. You will see what I mean when you see the pics. You may also notice in the pictures that one of the tubes conflicts with a fan, however I don't think this will be an issue IRL... tubes are just a mongrel to model in sketchup so I've left it how it is. You may also notice there is a huge amounts of 90 fittings, actually all bar 2 I think; this was just the only way I could get it all to fit.

Now in terms of heat load, I am fairly confident the 220 will be able to handle it. I am not really planning on overclocking anything at this stage, the DFI board doesn't seem to be a good board for overclocking anyway.

I don't actually own the case yet, so this model has been made from trawling the net for photos and measurements, so I can't guarantee its 100% accurate and things may change significantly once the case is in my hands in a couple of weeks. Mainly the mounting of the pump on the back wall.

Ok so onto some pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SG07 Iso 2.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	112061
    With Casing on, I will be using some sort of pass through connector for the res tubes, and maybe quick disconnects to make life easy

Name:	SG07 Iso 1.jpg 
Views:	809 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	112060
    With casing off

Name:	SG07 Right.jpg 
Views:	635 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	112056
    From the side. Note I will be using a 6970. Just couldn't find a sketchup model for it. I don't forsee the change making any difference.

Name:	SG07 Left.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	112062
    From the other side

Name:	SG07 Back.jpg 
Views:	646 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	112059
    From the back, I plan on mounting the pump to the back wall. You may note it is quite close to the IO panel. So this may pose some problems, I will just have to wait and see once the case arrives. Its pretty tight back there.

Name:	Loop Iso 1.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	112057
    Loop by itself.

Name:	Loop Front.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	112058
    Loop by itself from the front

So that is about where I am at at the moment. I would love some feedback on the whole idea. I will try and add this as often as I can, with pics of everything as I go.

Thanks for reading
    Mobo: DFI X48 T2R
    CPU: E8400 @ 3.78 (lil better)
    Ram: G.Skill F2 Pi @ 840
    GPU: 2x HIS IceQ4 4870 1gb X'd
    HDD: 2x Caviar Black 500gb

Cooling
    GTZ, FC EK's, 655B with EK Rev.2 Top, RX120 w/GT1850's push/pull, MCR240 w/GT1850's in push, Frozen Q n Primochill 1/2" Tubin

barfastic
    nice idea.... im starting a sff build too... nowhere enar as small as yours, but none the less.... small!

Good luck! And happy modding!

Banned
    Nice drawings there dude. Could you not go for a T-line on the res, smaller, have it all inside, cheaper, neater. I think the res in its current postion might not bleed so easy

Egyptian OverClocker
    nice drawing , can't wait to see it done
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Great planning!