Thread: Vertical Positioning of PCIe Slots

Xtreme Enthusiast

Vertical Positioning of PCIe Slots

Hello, I have been searching for this info a long time now. I have done real measurements on motherboards but i would like the standard used to dubble check this.

I'm making my own motherboard-tray. What I haven't measured yet is the distance for the holes that screw down the PCI cover slots.

Ill post a picture of what I mean. The red dots is the holes I need the measurements for. And the red lines would be good also.

Best regards
    Brodholm

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    Text is from this post:

ATX] refers to dimensions I found or reverse engineered from the ATX 2.1 specs. [AGP] refers to the AGP pro 1.0 specs that I used for vertical dimensions, mainly fig 4.1A. [BS] refers to bracket specs avilable from various manufacturers such as Purcell Brackets or Gompf Brackets. All dimensions are in inch.

The center to center spacing between the I/O cutouts is 0.8 [ATX] for all slots, even if you mix AGP, ISA and PCI. The openings are 0.5 wide and reach up to 0.4 [AGP] below the top of the ledge where the brackets screw on. The shields of PCI cards are around 0.75 wide for sideways clearance. The center of the first slot to the edge of the ATX I/O shield is 0.5 [ATX], that's 0.4 for half the slot and 0.1 [ATX] keepout around the I/O shield.

Watch out at the other end of the ATX I/O shield. The cutout sticks out 0.096 [ATX] beyond the MB plus there the 0.1 keepout.

The cutout for the I/O shield starts 0.088 [ATX] below the MB (assumed positioned horizontal). Since most MBs are 0.062 thick that is 0.15 below the top, which most drawings actually use.

The ledge where the PCI brackets screw on is 4.26 [AGP] above the top of the MB, but make it at least 4.27 so cards don't bend the motherboard if they are at the tall side of tolerance, +/-0.005 [AGP].

The screw holes for the PCI brackets are located 0.2 [BS] from the edge of the ledge, but I'm not sure about the distance from the center of the slot. I get another number for each manufacturer. Does anyone know the official numbers?
    Thanks a bunch! Looks like my own measurements was of about 0.1 millimeters (0,004").

Although, the hight to the ledge where the PCI brackets are screwed down. 4,38" total to the bottom (where you fasten the motherboard screws).

I have a lian li motherboard tray here. And it measure 4,38" from the top to the bot also. I dont know the exact size of the motherboard screws but i think that they are 5mm high.

Now im really confused :S

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    Text is from this post:

ATX] refers to dimensions I found or reverse engineered from the ATX 2.1 specs. [AGP] refers to the AGP pro 1.0 specs that I used for vertical dimensions, mainly fig 4.1A. [BS] refers to bracket specs avilable from various manufacturers such as Purcell Brackets or Gompf Brackets. All dimensions are in inch.

The center to center spacing between the I/O cutouts is 0.8 [ATX] for all slots, even if you mix AGP, ISA and PCI. The openings are 0.5 wide and reach up to 0.4 [AGP] below the top of the ledge where the brackets screw on. The shields of PCI cards are around 0.75 wide for sideways clearance. The center of the first slot to the edge of the ATX I/O shield is 0.5 [ATX], that's 0.4 for half the slot and 0.1 [ATX] keepout around the I/O shield.

Watch out at the other end of the ATX I/O shield. The cutout sticks out 0.096 [ATX] beyond the MB plus there the 0.1 keepout.

The cutout for the I/O shield starts 0.088 [ATX] below the MB (assumed positioned horizontal). Since most MBs are 0.062 thick that is 0.15 below the top, which most drawings actually use.

The ledge where the PCI brackets screw on is 4.26 [AGP] above the top of the MB, but make it at least 4.27 so cards don't bend the motherboard if they are at the tall side of tolerance, +/-0.005 [AGP].

The screw holes for the PCI brackets are located 0.2 [BS] from the edge of the ledge, but I'm not sure about the distance from the center of the slot. I get another number for each manufacturer. Does anyone know the official numbers?
    This last part of the quote. I found the measurements to be around 9,45 mm from the center of the slot to the center from the hole. What are you using?