Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So many A64 deaths

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Last edited by Jeff; 06-23-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Xtreme Member
    mine was due to being stupid, smoldered my board, litterally. i rma'd it.. no prob.. and if my cpu dies.. id rma that too.. not cost out of pocket but 5 bucks for shipping, which i will do from work, for free. after reading this i sure as hell am goign to turn my rails down tho =)
    Last edited by benonmsn; 01-15-2004 at 10:46 PM.
    x2 4800 - 2860mhz
    dfi nf4 sli-dr
    7800 gtx 500 / 1300
    mushkin redline @ 260/3.2v

Memory Addict
    Originally posted by bowman1964
    well i have posted in a few threads about mine....

but i dont have time alot to check the threads at work.....i do have to work...not play all day...so i hope that wasnt directed to me...

i ran accoss this one by accident....and i am still not sure on the death issue.....i have 3 boards so i am not going back to the chaintech until i get chaintech to take a look at it...i have emailed the company direct.
    all i know for sure it is the mem control going out..not the basic cpu.

it starts with lots of windows errors and then it wont reload a fresh copy of windows.i pulled 2 chips from the chaintech after the first errors accured.and one just contunied to reboot....all the time..one the gigabyte it would almost make it to the desktop and then it rebooted...in the shuttle it just rebooted constantly...

the other chip started just getting errors in my wndows until i rebooted it one more time..and then i got the black screen of a64death...

so they are fun to play with...and yep i have depleted my funds...i got caught up in getting one to bench with,,and the mader i got the more determaned i got to get one going...and the more i purchaced....
    after my chips come in next week i want to weed out the weeker ones and keep one setup...sell off the rest at reduced price to get something back..

and yes...the chipset voltage is the only thing the chaintech has that the shuttle and gigabyte dont/
    so i am leaning towards high chipset voltage doing it...since that is directly connected to the hypertransport..
    curious tried useing memtest86 3.0 and memtest86+ 1.0 with these dying or dead cpus when they showed these windows booting symptoms ? - just trying to get an idea of memtest reported errors/symptoms.. as i don't load windows with my systems until i can get memtest errror free for a few days heh
    ---

Xtreme Addict
    Ive had one died on me and I think its the same reason as MrIcee, toasted memory controller.......at that time I was using the stock cooler and 1.7v and ran my vdimm to around 3.5v..... during 3dmark, it died on me....... my second one with my chiller cooling it is still alive and has done benches at 4v vdimm and 2v on the vcore...... if you guys are planning to run some high vdimm, make sure your cpu is cooled well.......
    E8400 DFI LP P35T2R Ballistix

8800GTS PCP&C 1.2kw Raptors

E6600 =5400mhz
    E6700=5680mhz
    QX9650= 6000mhz

Xtreme Legend
    It´s not a cooling problem I guess. Mine was cooled by promy @ R404a.

looks like there are good and bad chips...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Remember, that the 3.3v rail is generally used for the system I/O, I'd guess a high 3.3v rail could easily kill the I/O of the chip, I.E. the memory controller, makes sense to me.

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by Walrusbonzo
    Remember, that the 3.3v rail is generally used for the system I/O, I'd guess a high 3.3v rail could easily kill the I/O of the chip, I.E. the memory controller, makes sense to me.
    yeah, much like high vDIMM. Also with the chipset being linked directly to the Hypertransport bus, high chipset voltage can cause problems, as bowman has proved.

*Interesting thread, hits subscribe button*
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm sceptical of High VDimm.... VDimm should only affect the RAM's voltage, I can only think that on the boards that people have done VDimm mods it must be affecting another voltage, I.E. Hypertransport.

Definitely though, high chipset V, high hypertransport V and high 3.3v, DONT DO IT

Xtreme Member
    Well, so far, it seems to safe to say that it's not the wisest thing to raise the chipset voltage or the 3.3v rail.

But one thing none of use will ever stay safe on is vdimm - no matter the risk, lol. There some guys running extreme vdimm with no problem yet. I'm thinking this may have more to do with the stepping on the 3200+ than we think.

I'm also very curios about the 3400+. I know not many have this chip yet, but it doesn't seem anyone has killed this one yet. Has anyone used the 3400+ with a high 3.3v, Vchipset, & vdimm?

LUIHED, was there a difference in stepping between the one you killed and the one you currently have that is running strong along with a 4v vdimm?
    3700+ San Diego @ 1.7v
    2x512 pc4000 Mushkin Redline @ 3.6v
    MSI k8n neo2
    x800xtpe
    Mach 2 cooled

Superpi (1.4mod) --> 24.7 sec
    3DMark '01 ---> 37.8k on stock x800xt (526/573)

Xtreme Member
    Has anyone experienced this with the FX?
    Bruno's Junker
    OPTY 165 @ 2.9G
    ASSROCK 939Dual Sata2
    512mb Xerox Samsung PC2100
    512mb Corsair PC3200 Value Ram
    Ancient HDD, CDRW, DVD and Floppy
    Antique Gateway ATX Tower (cover not included)

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by BMORIN

I'm also very curios about the 3400+. I know not many have this chip yet, but it doesn't seem anyone has killed this one yet.
    YEP i killed one 2 days after they hit....

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Last edited by Jeff; 06-23-2004 at 12:01 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I asked about the FX wondering if it's the memory controller that's burning up.
    Bruno's Junker
    OPTY 165 @ 2.9G
    ASSROCK 939Dual Sata2
    512mb Xerox Samsung PC2100
    512mb Corsair PC3200 Value Ram
    Ancient HDD, CDRW, DVD and Floppy
    Antique Gateway ATX Tower (cover not included)

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by Jeff
    No offense Bowman but... maybe you should try a new hobby.
    ...[/i]

you got that right.......i sure do need to go back to bass fishing...but spent money on that too.

Banned
    you got that right.......i sure do need to go back to bass fishing...but spent money on that too.
    I still do both but it is realy stretching the budget! I'll trade you a guided day on Buggs Island for one of those dual evaps!

Xtreme Addict

it starts with lots of windows errors and then it wont reload a fresh copy of windows.i pulled 2 chips from the chaintech after the first errors accured.and one just contunied to reboot....all the time..one the gigabyte it would almost make it to the desktop and then it rebooted...in the shuttle it just rebooted constantly...

sounds very familiar to me - allthough I´v fixed the problem by not keeping DMI data.. very odd actually..
    "M-I-A"

Xtreme Member
    i killed my cpu last night.. first my board in 43 min 2 days ago, rma for new board then my cpu after a couple hours. i booted up to bios and noticed 3.78 on the vdim.. oops.. i must have tutrned the vr wrong way. tunr off. disconect pot, boot back up into bios. turn the pot which would be lowiring it, touch it to ground poof. off goes comp. hmm thats wierd i say. check the the pot and it was at 1.0 wonder how much volts that was? to many i guess... doesnt boot up, rma'd both. so ive killed a mobo and now ive killed a cpui/mobo (dont know which but i suspect the cpu) sent back both anyweays, replacement in a couple days.

3400+
    AN50R
    Last edited by benonmsn; 01-17-2004 at 03:25 PM.
    x2 4800 - 2860mhz
    dfi nf4 sli-dr
    7800 gtx 500 / 1300
    mushkin redline @ 260/3.2v

Xtreme Addict
    i have a running list of all my chips that i own and which ones died so far..i can post tonight if anyone wants to see...
    Have you posted it yet? On another thread?

You people, well Opp, Mr Ice and Bowman must be made of money if you can go through 6 A64's and still buy more !

I would be extremely happy if I had one A64!

Can anyone donate a A64 to a poor college student? I would be very greatfull!

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by 2fast4u
    I still do both but it is realy stretching the budget! I'll trade you a guided day on Buggs Island for one of those dual evaps!
    are you that good of a guide...LOL

it may be worth it...you may get a pm from me in the spring..i need to get my 21ft stratus back out on the water...LOl

as far as the stepping on the ones i have murdered..here goes.

3200's

caakc week 33 still alive
    caamc week 43 brown
    caamc week 41 brown
    caamc week 39
    caakc week 30
    caamc week 42

lost a 3400 but i cannt find the stepping..i will look

Xtreme Addict
    they all died from the chipset mod on the chaintech..i am sure..
    it was running 2.2v all the time..i had forgot i had it that high...

it is directly tied to the hypertransport and mem controller..i havent had any trouble since i stoped using the chaintech.

Banned
    are you that good of a guide...LOL

it may be worth it...you may get a pm from me in the spring..i need to get my 21ft stratus back out on the water...LOl

as
    Me too. I am afraid the tires on my trailer are flatspotteed from sitting in the garage for 2 months! I would take you just for a chance to pick your brain, but you could throw in the dual evap if you wanted too! hehehehe

HVAC/R Engineer
    Is this related to the Inductive heating problem and are there hot spots within the memory controller? Is this related to the SOI layer? Have there been any nonmemory modded processors failing? how many?

I killed a 3000+ (week 29) and a 3200+ (week 47)so far.
    I removed the Heatspreader from both CPU's.

The 3200+ produces memory errors, ( Vdimm was @ 3.7V )
    The 3000+ does nothing anymore.

I don't think high 3.3V rails kill the CPU's, cuz the 3200+ died on a shuttle an50r which needs no PSU mod on 3.3V.
    Epox 8KDA3+ full modified
    Kingston PC3500 HyperX ( Winbond BH-5) running 270Mhz 2-2-2-5@3.7V
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+@2430Mhz 9x270
    Club3D Geforce 6800 Ultra (on it's way)

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Last edited by Jeff; 06-23-2004 at 12:02 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I'm thinking it could be the high Vddr that is killing all those A64's,

Maybe there's a simple solution to it:

On my k8v a thick trace is going to the cpu from the mem that is reading the same value of my Vddr. Is it possible to cut this trace and put a wire on it (on the cpu side) that gives 3.0V to the memcontroller on the cpu?

The 3V could be generated from a second psu or from a self build circuit with a LM regulator.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast