Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asus Xonar DX vs Creative X-Fi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    Then you guys must have older TV's. My almost two year old Toshiba has PCM out (via 1/8" mono jack to COAX RCA) that passes through any broad cast audio signal it receives. It also has Analog RCA Left and Right out. These signals are normally limited to Dolby Digital that my receiver can then process. Then if it can't, any receiver less than 20 years old can up-mix RCA Left and Right or matrix surround going all the way back to Pro Logic 1 from the late 80's Yes, Sound Card up-mixing is almost a useless feature, yeah, LOL!
    Hard to tell which direction you're arguing the TV audio out connectors, but the most modern models I've looked at in the brands I've narrowed my choices down to (for input lag and PQ reasons) have only optical audio outputs, no RCA, no analog audio out of any kind. It's my 5 yr old CRT Samsung HDTV that has RCA audio outputs via PCM that I can at least hear TV broadcasts in 2.1 via a 3.5mm cable to the line in of my sound card.

The modern TVs lacking analog PCM outputs and lack of optical in to 5.1 upmixing in sound cards is forcing consumers whom don't already have HT gear to buy HT receivers or put up with TV speakers. I'm talking well known top selling brands of TVs too, like Panasonic and LG.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 03-11-2011 at 05:02 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    I'm not convinced that the CPU does the processing. I just checked using a 5.1 stream and a 2.1 stream converted to 5.1 and CPU utilization excluding VLC Player didn't exceed 3%. I guess I'm going to do a little more homework and get back to this thread with the info I find....

I guess I should reiterate that that I don't watch anything using my TV tuner. Everything is sourced from my computer. Be it an AVI, game, Blu-Ray disk, DVD, etc.
    Check out this review? Not perfect pretty good info.

http://penstarsys.com/reviews/sound/...rer/index.html

Then DanielK proved DDL and DTS are software based. Just as Creative sold its DDL/DTS feature on the early X-Fi's for $4.65 as an add on feature
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Frag Maniac View Post
    Hard to tell which direction you're arguing the TV audio out connectors, but the most modern models I've looked at in the brands I've narrowed my choices down to (for input lag and PQ reasons) have only optical audio outputs, no RCA, no analog audio out of any kind. It's my 5 yr old CRT Samsung HDTV that has RCA audio outputs via PCM that I can at least hear TV broadcasts in 2.1 via a 3.5mm cable to the line in of my sound card.

The modern TVs lacking analog PCM outputs and lack of optical in to 5.1 upmixing in sound cards is forcing consumers whom don't already have HT gear to buy HT receivers or put up with TV speakers. I'm talking well known top selling brands of TVs too, like Panasonic and LG.
    Depends on the TV. My old Hitachi and Akai Projection TV's had Stereo Left and Right RCA Out and Toslink Out as well.

I don't know what you mean by lag, but I have absolutely Zero Syncing Issues with my Blue Rays in the Set Top or the one in the computer. That goes for any Video source. Simple and plain, up mixing audio is moot!
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    I picked up an Essence STX and I love it. The built in amp works great with my headphones. Keep in mind that this particular card is really only geared towards headphones.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't know what you mean by lag, but I have absolutely Zero Syncing Issues with my Blue Rays in the Set Top or the one in the computer. That goes for any Video source. Simple and plain, up mixing audio is moot!
    Virtually ALL non CRT TVs have some amount of input lag. Gamers are concerned about it because it's basically the amount of time in ms that it takes your input on your controller (KB, gamepad, wheel, etc) to appear on screen.

Input lag can vary quite a bit from as low as 10ms or less upwards to around 100ms. Input lag can be very noticeable if playing fast paced shooters (esp online) or racing games.

The problem is input lag is fairly complicated to test for precisely and accurately and most manufacturers don't want to divulge such info. There are some whom have the gear and do very diligent testing though.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Yup, they sent me a new one finally. The ram works great, thanks! I hope things are going better for you.

I wouldnt mind the Xonar except for the power connector. I would have to add another cable to my PS (modular) just for the sound card.
    My DX came with an adapter from floppy to 4 pin molex. Should make things easier to route cables.

I thought the reason for the external power was supplying cleaner power. I'd be surprised if a pci-e slot couldn't power both the cmi and brigde chips.
    Strix X470-F, 1.2.0.6b | 5800X3D + Galahad 360, 3xP28 | 4x8GB Flare X 3200C14 @3200C14 1T+GDM | Strix 2070S A8G @1830/1750 | SB Z | SN750 500GB, MX500 1TB, DT01 2TB | O11D XL: 6xNB PL-2 | RM750

Xtreme Addict
    Converting from 5.1 to 2.1 is not really CPU intensive task. The streams are just joined into stereo.. WHat's more intensive is audio resampling from 441kHz to 192kHz with really high interpolation precision where CPU might start hitting 100% (check Acuity FX plugin for Winamp). This was on Atom N270 CPU. Regular post processing without resampling is usually below 5% on same CPU...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

I am Xtreme
    Virtually ALL non CRT TVs have some amount of input lag. Gamers are concerned about it because it's basically the amount of time in ms that it takes your input on your controller (KB, gamepad, wheel, etc) to appear on screen.

Input lag can vary quite a bit from as low as 10ms or less upwards to around 100ms. Input lag can be very noticeable if playing fast paced shooters (esp online) or racing games.

The problem is input lag is fairly complicated to test for precisely and accurately and most manufacturers don't want to divulge such info. There are some whom have the gear and do very diligent testing though.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464
    Again. I said I don't have any Syncing Issues watching movies.

I have absolutely Zero Syncing Issues that doesn't mean I get 0ms lag, it means that the lag is hard to see or feel.

""Detectable lag only for remarkably sensitive people.""

Not extremely sensitive and an example would be 75Hz on a CRT that gives some of my friends headaches doesn't bother me at all. Plus I rarely game on my HTPC that I was talking about. Not much fun trying to play games with a GT-240 meant for movies and etc......anyway.

Yes, lag on my main Rig while using an LCD sucks for online gaming but off line single player seems to work with very little Lag at all. Before I added the 2 LCD, I used a 19" Sony Trinitron with an 85Hz refresh rate that worked a whole lot better.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i would hunt down a forte, not sure were to get one though.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-010-_-Product
    I've got one going up for sale momentarily...

But I'd go DX w/ the choices listed in the original post.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Again. I said I don't have any Syncing Issues watching movies.

I have absolutely Zero Syncing Issues that doesn't mean I get 0ms lag, it means that the lag is hard to see or feel.

""Detectable lag only for remarkably sensitive people.""

Not extremely sensitive and an example would be 75Hz on a CRT that gives some of my friends headaches doesn't bother me at all. Plus I rarely game on my HTPC that I was talking about. Not much fun trying to play games with a GT-240 meant for movies and etc......anyway.

Yes, lag on my main Rig while using an LCD sucks for online gaming but off line single player seems to work with very little Lag at all. Before I added the 2 LCD, I used a 19" Sony Trinitron with an 85Hz refresh rate that worked a whole lot better.
    Where did I once mention mere movie watching? Most know input lag (controller input to onscreen response) refers to a type of lag you get in gaming. THAT type of lag, which ALL non CRTs have to some degree, CAN be very noticeable depending on the set and how much it has. The modern video processors in todays TVs with this 3rd, 4th gen motion processing and tons of other processing can add lag. Even the Game Mode on a lot of sets doesn't completely account for it. Then there's panel types, some which lag more than others.

Honestly, I think you need to peruse through that link to the AVS forum input lag thread I posted above and study up on just how much input lag some of the modern sets are displaying before you can objectively comment on it. It has nothing to do with mere movie watching. The trend has gotten worse as far as input lag goes. Even Panasonic sets have higher input lag than they used to. LG now leads the industry in low input lag, but IMO their worse IQ isn't worth it.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 03-15-2011 at 01:18 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Where did I once mention mere movie watching? Most know input lag (controller input to onscreen response) refers to a type of lag you get in gaming. THAT type of lag, which ALL non CRTs have to some degree, CAN be very noticeable depending on the set and how much it has. The modern video processors in todays TVs with this 3rd, 4th gen motion processing and tons of other processing can add lag. Even the Game Mode on a lot of sets doesn't completely account for it. Then there's panel types, some which lag more than others.

Honestly, I think you need to peruse through that link to the AVS forum input lag thread I posted above and study up on just how much input lag some of the modern sets are displaying before you can objectively comment on it. It has nothing to do with mere movie watching. The trend has gotten worse as far as input lag goes. Even Panasonic sets have higher input lag than they used to. LG now leads the industry in low input lag, but IMO their worse IQ isn't worth it.
    Honestly, IMHO many (not all) at AVS are Full Of S#it. I read that very info before you linked to it. On to the other thing. First I doubt anyone can hear the difference between 109 and 116db fr when the average Adult human ear is limited to nothing close to that. Like an adult talking about hearing above 20Khz, sure you can sense and or feel sound in the extremes but anything else is limited. I'm sure a 20kHz Dog Whistle hurts your ears uh?

The PCI-E bridge chip does cause delay, sound data having to travel back and forth to the CPU and etc..... causes delay. That has little to nothing to with Input delay LOL! Creative's is Native and it is Hardware (Localized processing near the DAC and ADC), meaning lower latency right from the start. Auzentech kicks the crap out of all but the Top Asus Card for Games and Music. Creative, Asus and Auzentech suck and are looking for Suckers' money take LOL!

Drivers and Bugs, sure!

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Now, if you'd like to start another thread about Displays, please do so?

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh God I give up. Honestly Donnie I don't know WHY you go on and on like everyone's a moron and you're a genius, esp when you don't even seem to know what input lag in displays is! My GOD it's common knowledge in the gaming community that various displays exhibit quite a range of input lag in games and there's tons of studies that have been done on it not just by consumer tech heads (many of whom are FAR more knowledgeable than you admit in your smug, conceited attitude, AND have documented proof of such tests), but sites that review displays as well.

You go off on these tangents talking about movies, db and Pci-Ex chips, which has ZERO to do with input lag in displays, and it makes it all the more obvious it's in fact YOU whom is "Full of Sh*t" and knows nothing of the subject.

LOL, whatever, go on and on deluding yourself into believing you're an "expert" at everything electronic. Hell, you even have some here believing it sometimes. The rest of us will just ignore your obvious naive prattling and suffice to talk to those whom actually know what they're talking about.

I can see why you don't hang out on the Displays forum here or tech forums such as AVS. They'd tear you a new one taking such BS. LOL
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 03-16-2011 at 08:13 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Oh God I give up. Honestly Donnie I don't know WHY you go on and on like everyone's a moron and you're a genius, esp when you don't even seem to know what input lag in displays is! My GOD it's common knowledge in the gaming community that various displays exhibit quite a range of input lag in games and there's tons of studies that have been done on it not just by consumer tech heads (many of whom are FAR more knowledgeable than you admit in your smug, conceited attitude, AND have documented proof of such tests), but sites that review displays as well.

You go off on these tangents talking about movies, db and Pci-Ex chips, which has ZERO to do with input lag in displays, and it makes it all the more obvious it's in fact YOU whom is "Full of Sh*t" and knows nothing of the subject.

LOL, whatever, go on and on deluding yourself into believing you're an "expert" at everything electronic. Hell, you even have some here believing it sometimes. The rest of us will just ignore your obvious naive prattling and suffice to talk to those whom actually know what they're talking about.

I can see why you don't hang out on the Displays forum here or tech forums such as AVS. They'd tear you a new one taking such BS. LOL
    I ask you again, politely, if you want to talk Displays, please do so in the appropriate forum with another thread. No, your very small amateurish inappropriate insults doesn't bother me at all

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Any Xonar is easily better than some Creative POS. Its incredible how often I still link to this review.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Addict
    That's my card!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Any Xonar is easily better than some Creative POS. Its incredible how often I still link to this review.
    Yup and the Xonar POS ain't better than the Prelude LOL!

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yup and the Xonar POS ain't better than the Prelude LOL!
    Khm, only in games, khm, khm, fanboyism, khm, it's overpowering, khm....... *static followed by silence*
    ..:Core i7 870///eVGA P55 Classified///VTX3D Radeon 6970///Asus Xonar D2X///16GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL///WD 6400AAKS 640Gb///Samsung F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB///Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB///Pioneer DVR 216///Seasonic X-series 850///Corsair Obsidian 800D///Logitech G15 rev.1///Logitech G400@Zowie G-TF Spawn///Philips 240SW:..

..:EK Supreme Acetal///Bitspower Black Freezer EIP55NSC///Magicool Pro III///S-Flex E@7v///Laing DDC-1T w/ EK Plexi top///EK Multioption 150:..

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Erklat View Post
    Khm, only in games, khm, khm, fanboyism, khm, it's overpowering, khm....... *static followed by silence*
    Please note the "".

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Please note the "".
    Glad you made that clear too
    ..:Core i7 870///eVGA P55 Classified///VTX3D Radeon 6970///Asus Xonar D2X///16GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL///WD 6400AAKS 640Gb///Samsung F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB///Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB///Pioneer DVR 216///Seasonic X-series 850///Corsair Obsidian 800D///Logitech G15 rev.1///Logitech G400@Zowie G-TF Spawn///Philips 240SW:..

..:EK Supreme Acetal///Bitspower Black Freezer EIP55NSC///Magicool Pro III///S-Flex E@7v///Laing DDC-1T w/ EK Plexi top///EK Multioption 150:..

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Erklat View Post
    Glad you made that clear too
    I hope so I wasn't the fanboy here, I don't love Asus and or Auzentech and hate Creative, I think they're all large faceless companies who; wouldn't piss on us to put us out if we were on fire. That goes for Intel, AMD, nVidia and all the rest as well. Some posters here are starting to sig such things.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    Well...I'm getting a bit o high noise floor on the DX that didn't happen on the Forte...not sure what it could be.

Xtreme Mentor
    I just picked up a Xonar DX and so far it seems like a nice upgrade from my Xtremegamer. I'm going to have to play around with it some more but so far I'm pretty pleased with this card.

I may give the unified drivers a shot but I haven't had any issues with the official drivers yet.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 05-13-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    I may give the unified drivers a shot but I haven't had any issues with the official drivers yet.
    Don't think about it, give them a try...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity